It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Idea Conservatives Should Love

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
So raise it to $15.00 and then no more subsidies. They can all pay for their Obamacare without tapping the government as well. Another result of this will be reduced payouts from all of these publicly traded companies to their investors. That means everyone's retirement accounts will take a bit of a hit.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Intelligent economists have been saying this since the "trickle down" Reagan era.

Without anybody to buy your stuff, you wither and start outsourcing and stop producing. This is why people were mad about the bailouts; it would have made much more sense to give that money to the homeowners who would have paid the mortgages thus a win/win.

I think it boils down to not only ignorance and hegemony but I seriously believe there is an element of sadism involved that makes certain people hate the idea of the lowest classes getting anywhere in life. That sadism has been biting them in the ass.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

edit on 18-2-2014 by amfirst1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Actually no one really pays minimum wage except companies that have low profit margins or new small business. This will cause business to go out of business and companies that can deal with it forced to raise their prices on products like Burgers. This will created inflation. It does more harm then it helps.

Plus, more people will be force to compete with minimum wage jobs now that some of them will be eliminated. More people will be unemployed.

Minimum wage is for teenagers. I used to work for $5.50/hr. I never complained as I gained knowledge and education I moved up in the latter. It's a starting point. NO one intends to stay at the minimum forever.
edit on 18-2-2014 by amfirst1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

FyreByrd

Sandcastler
If I already make $12 an hour and all of a sudden they raise minimum wage to $12 an hour, guess what? Now you have just added another person to the amount of people who make minimum wage that didn't before. Also, I am going to demand a raise, because I've been working here for 4 years and now make the same amount as somebody hired yesterday. See the problem?

Don't see the problem - sounds like a great reason for a raise.

And a great reason to start laying off because the employee overhead just went through the roof.
edit on 18-2-2014 by Sandcastler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Cuervo

Intelligent economists have been saying this since the "trickle down" Reagan era.

Without anybody to buy your stuff, you wither and start outsourcing and stop producing. This is why people were mad about the bailouts; it would have made much more sense to give that money to the homeowners who would have paid the mortgages thus a win/win.

I think it boils down to not only ignorance and hegemony but I seriously believe there is an element of sadism involved that makes certain people hate the idea of the lowest classes getting anywhere in life. That sadism has been biting them in the ass.

I agree with you.

Inteligence is not seen as a good thing these days (Reagan, Bush - good ole boys that you could drink beer with; maybe daddy Bush wasn't quite so dim - but still no more then a B student). Being intelligent in todays world it just mean's you are a commie liberal.

Then there is the endless short term thinking. By individuals, company's, countries. Even some of the Asian countries are starting with the "I want mine now and to hell with the future" mindset.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

FyreByrd

ketsuko
I've lived through one as a minimum wage worker, and it does everything they say despite what those little papers of yours are claiming - fewer jobs, increased prices, and devalued worth of everyone else's wages. I saw it all with my own eyes in my own direct experience when every single cent was near and dear.

Through 'one' what?

A singluar experience does not translate to the experience of millions of minimum wage workers.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I'd rather err on the side of the many rather, then the experience of one.

Even the CBO admits today that my experiences are the norm.

People might get more money temporarily, but less people will get jobs and prices of everything else will go up which more or less cancels out the temporary pay increase.

Are you saying the CBO is peddling anecdotal evidence, too?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I just found following on the "it will cause inflation" crowd.....

According to Bloomberg News :

If Walmart workers made a minimum of $10.10 an hour, it would only cost customers about one penny. According to a new analysis by Bloomberg News, raising the minimum wage at Walmart would cost the company about $200 million dollars a year. If the retailer passed 100% of those costs on to customers, the average prices of a $16 item – like a DVD – would only increase one cent. If the corporation decided to take some of those costs out of their massive profits, customers would see even less of a price increase. And, if Walmart opted to pay workers more instead of spending billions to buy back their own stock, every one of their employees could make more than $25,000 dollars a year without any price increase for customers.

www.truth-out.org...

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
You can raise the minimum wage to just about anything you want to, but it does not change the purchasing power. Current minimum wage is set up so that you work one hour to purchase a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk. When minimum wage is $10.00 one hour worked will still only purchase a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk. What has been solved?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join