It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Middle East Nations Back Iraqs Fight Vs. Insurgents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
World leaders meeting on the future of Iraq signaled their intent to give strong backing to the interim government and its war against the insurgency. This came as leaders from Iraq six neighbors, the U.N., the E.U and Arab league met in Egypt. Despite a strong push from France and a few Arab countries no date was proposed for the withdrawal of U.S. troops.

story.news.yahoo.com
SHARM EL-SHEIK, Egypt - Leaders meeting on Iraq's future plan to give strong backing to the interim government's war against insurgents, but won't set a deadline for withdrawing U.S.-led forces from Iraq � despite a push by France and some Arab countries.

The draft communique for the conference that began Monday, obtained by The Associated Press, also says the interim Iraqi government should meet with its opponents to try to persuade them to take part in the general elections scheduled for January.

Iraq asked Egypt to convene the conference to bolster world support for its battle against insurgents and its plan to hold national elections.

The meeting brought together Iraq's six neighbors � Iran, Syria, Turkey, Kuwait, Jordan and Saudi Arabia � as well as Egypt and several other Arab countries, China and regional bodies such as the Group of Eight, the United Nations, the European Union, the Arab League and the Organization of the Islamic Conference.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is good news for both the interim Iraqi government as well as the U.S. . By supporting the government, it give it a legitimacy as well as support for the future. Had they failed to do so, the consequences would have been disastrous. It is important to note the support from the Middle East countries like Iran and Syria who could pose potential problems for the government. The may be as of yet undiscovered hidden agenda by these nations.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Great to finally here some positive news. I hope your post survives the Postal Bashers on ATS

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I dont think any of Iraq's six neighbors cared that much for Saddam especially Kuwait and Iran both of which Saddam tried to take over. I bet most of them were happy to see him go. I dont know if they are crazy about a democratic Iraq but this seems to be a sign they like it more then Saddam.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I think you hit the nail dead center ShadowXIX

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Hopefully the situation gets resolved peacefully and quickly. This will likely help.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
Hopefully the situation gets resolved peacefully and quickly. This will likely help.

I agree, this may help with an exit strategy. Can you imagine the political and psychological impact if they had announced the opposite?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Finally, a light in the tunnel!

Now, does this actually make Iraq's Arab neighbors targets too? Will we actually see a visible united front in these Arab nations against the insurgents? This is long overdue and would go a long way towards moving forward.

Thanks for the report!

top topics

join