Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

China and Russia plan joint widebody

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Word is being spread that Irkut, and Comac (Russian and Chinese respectively) are planning to launch a widebody aircraft program within about six years. Currently Irkut is working on the MS-21, and Comac is working on the C919, both narrowbody aircraft. Both companies plan first flights next year, and service entry in 2017, although Comac has been having problems with their design.

Within the next few months a feasibility study will be complete, paving the way for the program. They are reportedly looking at a 2023-25 entry for the aircraft, which they consider a replacement for the A330, and direct competitor for the 787.

In about three years, according to current plans, Russia and China will each begin delivering a national narrowbody airliner, the Irkut MS-21 and Comac C919, respectively. And 6-8 years later, they may have a jointly developed widebody ready for service.

These plans are maturing as Comac continues to struggle with the C919. Challenged in obtaining FAA endorsement of the C919's intended Chinese certification, the manufacturer is raising the possibility of alternative approval from the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).

A feasibility study for the widebody will be finished within a few months, after which the program will be ready for launch, Mikhail Pogosyan, president of Irkut owner United Aircraft Corp. (UAC), tells Aviation Week. The target for entry into service is 2023-25. “The long-range widebody aircraft segment is quite interesting for us,” Pogosyan says. “But we should study the market very closely and define clearly the level of technology we need . . . to enter a very competitive market with a product that provides qualitatively new solutions.”

Source

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'm surprised this didn't come around sooner, with the huge Asian Pacific market potential and Boeing and Airbus pushing so hard to make money in those and middle eastern markets.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

It's been in the study stage for a few months now, but this is the first that they have come out and said they're going to go forward with it. It'll be interesting to see how it competes with the 787. Normally I'd say no chance, but as the article points out it'll have 10 year newer engines on the 787 by the time it flies.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I imagine in 10 years the 787 will be able to offer upgraded engines as well and upgraded avionics which is a dept. I believe Russia and China lag in. I'm pretty sure the 787 will be OK, although it may be priced higher than the typical eastern hardware. We will have to see....
edit on 17-2-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

Oh, I have no doubt that it will be fine, since they'll still be rolling off the line. But if this can come even close to matching the 787, it can close off at least part of the Asian market to Dreamliners.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Not to go off topic here but I'm watching the Russia/ China rel;ationship closely. They used to be enemies correct? Now, both nations seem to be making inroads toward each other through trade and financial markets. What's the saying? "Political enemies make strange bed-fellows?" Anyway, It might be nothing...just trying to fit the pieces.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Money talks. China's got it and Russia wants it. They can put political posturing aside if there is a substantial financial gain to be made, especially if it means gaining ground on western companies.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Hmmm, a Chinese and Russian built aircraft - who will they get to fly it with all the strange markings in the cockpit...

I think that the aerodynimc and fuel effencies, manufacturing and designing in built safety, repeatability and numerous other things Airbus and Boeing are spearheading after decades in the business will put them at the forefront.

I hope the art of fettling their jets doesnt compromise safety.

But there is nothing wrong with healthy competition, there is plenty of room in the market.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Will they also develop a commercial aero engine branch to rival the big Western manufacturers, or will the Russian/Sino offspring be powered by the West?

Just a thought.

Regards

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Russian commercial engines got a huge boost when they bought/partnered with P&W. They still have issues with their fighter programs, but not nearly as many problems as they used to have with the commercial side.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Perogies and chow mien equals wide bodies...

new topics

top topics

join