It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Questions for Atheists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I have often listen to men who claim to be atheist that they use logic. And demean me because I trust in The Holy Bible as found in the AV. While I believe in creation many of these men do not. I have four questions I wanted answered yet when I asked one Atheist to answer them he went off in different directions and accusations against me instead of answering the questions.

Could anyone Atheist or not answer these four Questions for me.

here are the four questions

Is it reasonable that matter has always existed?

Is it reasonable that matter came from nothing?

Is it reasonable that life came from Non-life?

Is it reasonable that man progresses and animals never do?

edit on 17-2-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

Please define "reasonable".

jacy

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

ChesterJohn
I have often listen to men who claim to be atheist that they use logic. And demean me because I trust in The Holy Bible as found in the AV. While I believe in creation many of these men do not. I have four questions I wanted answered yet when I asked one Atheist to answer them he went off in different directions and accusations against me instead of answering the questions.

Sure. It can be hard to wrap your head around, but there does not have to be a start. Eternity and stuff ..it's tricky!

To me, no. But as stated above, there is no reason that it would have had to.

Sure. Life or non-life; it is all just interacting atoms - given enough time (and enough interacting atoms) it would be downright improbable if the necessary famous first building blocks of life were not to be created.

No. And that is not the case. Quite a few animals have evolved - or progressed, if you will - to use tools and to adapt to the "new world" of humans.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

ChesterJohn

here are the four questions

edit on 17-2-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes and define progress, dogs were once wild and now are domesticated, Id say that is progress. And that is just the one example i thought of as my bubs walked in and gave me a nudge to go play with her
There you got you four answers, good luck, I can see you are looking for a "debate"

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

jacygirl

Please define "reasonable".

jacy

My inner chauvinist want to reply with just one word: Male.

But don't worry - I wont let him!

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

ChesterJohn

These two questions show a horrifying lack of education in regard to Physics.
Take some free online University courses in Physics and come back afterwards:
800+ Free Online Courses from top Universities

Yes, especially since we're on the cusp of creating artificial intelligence, realizing technological singularity, if, that is, some militantly fanatic religious folk don't get nuclear weapons to suicide bomb us all to oblivion because they just couldn't face a reality where we can indeed create life from "non-life".

Um, 99.9% of all the life that's ever existed on this planet is EXTINCT.
All the animals, including us, as well as the plants too are where we are at because of the progress we've all made in surviving and evolving beyond the Five Major Extinction Events along the 4.5 Billion year History of this planet.

Humans aren't near as special as most people like to think we are.
We're just more clever animals.
A lion can just as readily eat us, as any other animal lions eat.
So too can worms eat us, as well as bugs, and every other animal that survives off of other animals.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Okay, good questions.

1st - Scientists theorize that matter appeared with the big bang. (Theorize means that maybe matter did or didn't exist before the big bang, scientists don't know with certainty what existed before the big bang.)

2nd - It may be possible to create matter from energy, we just don't know how to do it. (possible explanation for the big bang)

3rd - A cell is living right? But if we strip it to its components, the its just non living stuff. Life comes from controlled chemical reactions and energy, which requires a complex set o compounds to work. Quantics come to scene to give you and any other living being their 'soul' which gives each animal their personality.

4th - Every animal e evolved from a prior one, so they progress. But wait probably you don't believe in evolution, so, we teach a dog to sit, it progressed because he learned. We progressed because we learn new stuff, pretty much the same.

Now some questions for you.

1st - Is a book written by who knows who more valuable and truthful then provable scientific fact?

2nd - If the guy that wrote the bible putted in there that we evolved from apes would make you believe that evolution exists?

3rd - Why does christian religion be the one that is correct about everything?

I am an atheist, its a truth about me, i am one since in church school, i got to the conclusion that god is just an imaginary friend for adults. I was 7 years old by that time and i questioned everything.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DupontDeux

DupontDeux,
hahaha....and here I thought it was a 'reasonable' question!!

I too would love to know all the answers, but everything is either theoretical, hypothetical or "cuz I said so".
What exactly is reasonable to believe in?

jacy

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

jacygirl
reply to post by DupontDeux

DupontDeux,
hahaha....and here I thought it was a 'reasonable' question!!

I too would love to know all the answers, but everything is either theoretical, hypothetical or "cuz I said so".
What exactly is reasonable to believe in?

jacy

My inner chauvinist has never been big on reason!

What is reasonable to believe in?

Well .. I have always thought the phrase about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is a pretty neat and reasonable thing to believe in :-)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
All four of your questions basically boil down to what created the beginning. I for one have no idea. Your contention is that god created everything. Thats cool, I can live with that. Now tell me why you can accept that god has just always been here. Who or what created god? I don't claim to know the answers but i can't believe in an all knowing power that started it all.
As for evolution, you can see evidence in your own body. Tonsils, appendix and wisdom teeth are no longer needed. Who knows, maybe your god created evolution to.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I am an agnostic these days but I certainly was atheist and I am still a believer in evolution (I've never understood why evolution and creation can't coincide, evolution is a very intelligent design).

ChesterJohn

Yes, time is a man made thing, why does everything have to have a beginning and an end?

ChesterJohn

No it is not, I doubt even God can form something from nothing considering he needed Adam's rib to make Eve.

ChesterJohn

That is a hit and miss question. I would call single celled organisms life, as I would a plant, so I would ask you define non-life.. If you mean a rock? Then no.

ChesterJohn

Very, we developed a way of overcoming all obstacles, it was inevitable, think about it, countless organisms are on this planet, all adapting to new environments. Over thousands of generations the parent traits (obviously of those that survive best in the environment) develop into a natural part of that species. There was bound to eventually be that one species who conquered it all, all the changes and differences, new species rising and falling, eventually, an intelligent race was going to come along, divine intervention or not.

So think of humans, our ancestors, no long could use their natural abilities to survive, the only ones that did were ones that could intelligently escape or fight back, they re-produce and more natural intelligence is spread, this grows until we become intelligent enough to fathom concepts of the world and of ourselves. I think the mistake most creationists make is thinking that this happens quickly, it HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of years to develop. It's common knowledge that we develop our parents traits, do you not think that if your child inherits your big nose and then marries someone who also has a big nose, that the child they have will not also run the risk of having an enormous hooter? Imagine that kind of breeding over tens of thousands of generations, human beings would have exceptionally large noses!

I don't get how people don't think evolution exists? Even if you are a creationist.

Mettā ~

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

No. Matter is finite. Matter is the opposit of infinite. Therefor matter can not have always existed.

Matter did not come from nothing. It came from the infinite. The infinite is absolute. It takes up all Space possible. Since the infinite is absolute and takes up all Space possible. It must be a absolute constant. That means that the infinite is absolute neutral.
Its time line is a absolute constant.

Finite can only have come from the infinite. No other Place.

All life on Earth comes from Earth. It is also stated in the Bible in genesis Chapter 1. God said: let Earth bring forth all life.

Everything Our universe is made up of, All life included were present within the singularity when it was formed. The expansion of the singularity proves it. The proofe is also in the ground and walking on top of it.

The only thing God created was the Firmament which emitted the light in Genesis Chapter 1. verse 3.

Only man can progress intelligently on its own. Animals can progess inlelligently With the help of humans.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

here are the four answers to the four questions:

Is it reasonable that God has always existed?

Is it reasonable that God came from nothing?

Is it reasonable that life came from a God?

Animals have and always will evolve. I won't even post references because it's just common knowledge.

Peace

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

It's a terrible offense for anyone to ridicule you about anything, even for what you believe and accept to be true. We are all ignorant about "most" things. The truth is, even the best scientists are ignorant of the whole picture. When it comes down to it, no one really knows the answers to these questions and very few even have a working knowledge of physics to try to explain what we do understand. People in general have to understand that what we do know about the way that matter interacts with other matter is not a complete picture because we are still in the process of learning, but the only way to fill in the answers is to observe and experiment with smaller and smaller particles. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge and in a language that can be easily understood.

1) is it reasonable to assume that matter always existed?

Answer) its never reasonable to assume anything. I know you didnt use the word assume in your original post but since we really dont know, that is actually what your asking.

The scientific method relies on observation, experimentation, simulation, and peer review. It is the "only" way we can come to a more complete understanding of the way the universe works.

First we'll talk about observation.

Observation requires physical matter. If what your talking about isnt material then science has nothing to say about it and likely you are treading into another field such as philosophy. However we have no examples of anything "not material". So then there is no reason to believe in things which are "not material".

We have no examples of nothing. So we have never observed something coming from nothing. But that does not rule out the possibility that it could happen. There are 4 states of matter that we have observed. Solids, liquids, gasses, and plasma. Plasma is the newest form that we are aware of. We were not aware of it until we could break apart atoms. It is likely that there are more states that we are not aware of. And it is possible that before the big bang, matter was just in another state that we dont as of yet understand.

Ithink that covers your second question as well. So we'll move on to

3) can life come from non life?

A living organism is made up from a complex system of particles and molecules working together in an organised manner. The working definition of life requires that there be a a capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and constant change until death. Life is by definition self replicating. Thats why it is not fair to compare it with some thing like a watch or a building. Life is made from nonliving matter. Computer models show that "artificial" life is a definate probability, and we have made life in a lab by taking functional parts from different bacteria and putting them together to form living organisms that were previously not around. So in short yes. Abiogenesis from natural causes is the most likely answer to the origins of life.

4) is it reasonable to believe that animals have not progressed?

Absolutely not. All life has progressed equally, but in different directions. Intelligence is just our niche. Folks tend to think that we are better than everything else because we are smart. In truth our intelligence has made a lot possible for us, but it has also made the world a lot more dangerous for us as well. We are outnumbered by most organisms in this world and at any time a deadly virus could eliminate humankind all together. We tend to judge life based on its intelligence. But that is certainly not the only peremeter to take into account. It is just our niche.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask any more questions.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

No, it's not IMO. It would have had to come from something. I just don't think that thing was sentient.

Same as above. Creation doesn't imply intent or consciousness unless you want it to.

Ofcourse not and no atheist who has any grasp of science would follow that logic.

It took hundreds of thousands of years for humans to reach the kind of evolution that allowed us to have opposable thumbs and large brains. There's plenty of research suggestion that other creatures, such as dolphins for example are as advanced as we are if you disregard technology.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
If language is man-made, then the word 'evolve' was invented/created by humans...and so was it's definition.

What if we have the 'theory' of evolution mostly correct, but not in the correct sense?

What if to truly evolve, we have to embrace the earth and live in harmony with it...as flora and fauna do? With all of our pollution, oil-spills, electricity, technology, consumerism/garbage/waste....are we 'evolving' or just getting further and further away from our roots? Are those animals, fish, trees, bees, etc. etc...really MORE evolved, by adapting to the earth instead of trying to force the earth to adapt?

I think that with our rather limiting language....and knowledge...that perhaps we really KNOW....nothing.

Is that reasonable?

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

jacygirl
If language is man-made, then the word 'evolve' was invented/created by humans...and so was it's definition.

What if we have the 'theory' of evolution mostly correct, but not in the correct sense?

What if to truly evolve, we have to embrace the earth and live in harmony with it...as flora and fauna do? With all of our pollution, oil-spills, electricity, technology, consumerism/garbage/waste....are we 'evolving' or just getting further and further away from our roots? Are those animals, fish, trees, bees, etc. etc...really MORE evolved, by adapting to the earth instead of trying to force the earth to adapt?

I think that with our rather limiting language....and knowledge...that perhaps we really KNOW....nothing.

Is that reasonable?

Knowledge is a tricky concept. It would seem our understanding is always changing, but that is the nature of knowledge. It is always expanding the more observations we make. It is true that our language is rather limited, but new words are being created all the time to keep up with new discoveries. Our ability to explain difficult concepts is limited to our vocabulary. I think this is why most folks tend to specialize in a particular field of study.

The idea that one species is evolving more rapidly than any other is a simple fallacy. We just tend to connect an importance to certain attributes that we find admirable. Like intelligence.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

ChesterJohn
I have often listen to men who claim to be atheist that they use logic. And demean me because I trust in The Holy Bible as found in the AV. While I believe in creation many of these men do not. I have four questions I wanted answered yet when I asked one Atheist to answer them he went off in different directions and accusations against me instead of answering the questions

But yet you are unable to answer the questions that many have brought up to you... Haven't even responded to a single post on a topic you created. I guess you didn't really want to discuss anything.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

According to the Buddha, these questions are among the 14 unanswerable questions which he maintained were counterproductive areas of speculation. There is no apparent rational necessity for the existence of a creator god because everything ultimately is created by mind. The Sikh religion likewise demands no creator god. So atheists and agnostics are not alone. Only the Christians seem so insecure as to require the intercession of a creator personage.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Sorry Im going to be paraphrasing as I am on a wii and dont have multiple tabs to get links. I will see if i can edit them in after.

Well no one can prove or disprove that statement on both sides of the arguement.

Well matter doesnt get made up of "nothing". Every thing is made from Electrons, Protrons, I don't know where you are from but that is basic elementry school science. A month or so ago there was a thread that stated scientists created mass with a partical excelerator using protrons and electrons. So to answer that question. No it is unlikely that matter was created from nothing.

Is it reasonable that Life came from no life?
Yes it is reasonable that life came from no life. As I stated above anything can be created if you have the right building blocks, enought time and the right eviroment.

Personally that is an uneducated question/assumption. Animals can have a collective conciousness just like us. There are studies that prove this ( will try to add the links in as an edit after typing this out). Animals evolve with their eviroment, Some have even learned to us tools on their own, some have learned that cleaning their food makes it taste better ect.

Just because us humans have technology on our side does not mean that we are the only ones that evolve. Evolution can be measured in many ways not just in physical appearence.

Now that I have answered your questions do you mind answering mine?

When people hear voices in their head is that god or schizophrenia?

If God created every thing, who created god?

Why would god allow pedofiles to be priests, nuns, fathers, bishops, popes?

Now this is the question that no religious person has ever answered.

God made us in its image correct? Us humans have discovered how to clone things, yes? Scientists are working on a way to make mars a habitable planet by creating factories that create green house gasses to warm up the planet, so that the water in the ice caps (yes there is water on mars) can evaporate and create a livable atmosphere. Now in the 1950's there were three "aliens" from the planet Venus that came down to earth and talked to President Eisenhower to warn him that we are on the the path to distruction. The leader of those three was called Val Valiant Thor and he and his companions looked like normal humans.

My question to you is this. Is it possible that the people on venus are our "god"? If they came down and gave you all the proof would you believe them?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join