It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Greenwald wins Polk Award for Edward Snowden, NSA coverage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

NEW YORK — Four journalists who reported on the extent of the National Security Agency’s secret surveillance based on documents leaked by Edward Snowden are among the winners of the 65th annual George Polk Awards in Journalism.

Glenn Greenwald, Ewen MacAskill and Laura Poitras of The Guardian and Barton Gellman of The Washington Post will receive the award for national security reporting for stories based on secret documents leaked by Snowden, a former intelligence analyst.

Glenn Greenwald wins Polk Award for Edward Snowden, NSA coverage

We all know investigative journalism "without an agenda" is dying, but perhaps not dead yet? At least in the eyes of some who still see it's value.

The Polk Awards were created in 1949 in honor of CBS reporter George W. Polk, who was killed while covering the Greek civil war. This year’s awards will be given out April 11. Kimberly Dozier of The Associated Press will read the citations at the ceremony.

The savvy reporters who uncovered Chris Christie's "bridgegate" also won, but no one who covered Fast n Furious, Benghazi, or the Obamacare debacle is in the mix. Oh wait, NO ONE really covered these stories, so I guess that's fitting.

And a bit of recognition for the smidgen of Wall Street investigations that took place - another plus - but not nearly enough.

The George Polk Award for Business Reporting will go to Alison Fitzgerald, Daniel Wagner, Lauren Kyger and John Dunbar of The Center for Public Integrity for “After the Meltdown,” a three-part series demonstrating that regulators have failed to hold a single major player on Wall Street accountable for the behavior that sparked the 2008 financial crisis.

edit on 17-2-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

As soon as I saw that the MSM jumped on the NSA story, and stayed with it almost daily for months, I knew something was not right with Snowden and/or Greenwald.

Since the media is controlled by TPTB, nothing gets that much exposure, unless they want it that way. Hence, the NSA leaks were orchestrated by them.

Now why would they do that? Because they are gradually getting us used to being spied on. They want us to accept our lack of privacy. They also want us to know that they are in total control, and that any effort in resisting is pointless.

Think about it! How many people are still talking about the NSA affair, or Snowden? It's pretty much becoming old news. Also, think about how weak the reactions of European governments were, and how weak Obama's response to the scandal.

When you study Snowden carefully in interviews, keeping in mind what I'm alluding to, then you will see that his profile is much more akin to that of an agent, than that of a computer-wiz. If you saw the interview he recently did with a German journalist, you would see what I mean. I wanted to post a youtube vid of it here, but I can no longer find a full version that includes video, only audio... Maybe I wasn't the only one who noticed his suspicious behavior. Especially the part about why he joined the CIA, while being so passionate about human rights, was very revealing.

Also, remember that Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize...

soulwaxer

edit on 17-2-2014 by soulwaxer because: typo + ETA

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by soulwaxer

Perhaps you're right. I was hoping otherwise - that people would be outraged and fight back. Not while they're watching their housewives or bachelors, unfortunately.

Now why would they do that? Because they are gradually getting us used to being spied on. They want us to accept our lack of privacy. They also want us to know that they are in total control, and that any effort in resisting is pointless.

And what they find out can be used against us...most likely by the IRS. So Behave is the word.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
What TPTB cannot fight, they absorb. I'm pretty sure the NSA leaks were meant to co-opt investigative journalism. A nice, controlled, socially acceptable outlet for that steam, to soothe any potential outrage about surveillance technology. Additionally, it can used to legitimize stuff like this.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Cathcart
What TPTB cannot fight, they absorb. I'm pretty sure the NSA leaks were meant to co-opt investigative journalism. A nice, controlled, socially acceptable outlet for that steam, to soothe any potential outrage about surveillance technology. Additionally, it can used to legitimize stuff like this.

That's it right there. Looking at the history of journalism, and how it has been taken over in the last 30 years, this becomes quite clear.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by soulwaxer

“Whoever controls the media, controls the mind” ― Jim Morrison

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Call that celebratory stuff news?

THIS is the news. THIS is the important stuff. Forget those idiots on TV the ones shaping your life are these sneaky CIA twats and THIS is what you need to listen to.

Mad props to the journalists brave enough to bring real stuff to the masses attention, major disrespect for the masses that reject it because its not "interesting" to their drip fed, bull# lives.

new topics

top topics

join