It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Military Builds ‘Fake’ Washington D.C. For Combat Training

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This is my first time posting a topic on this site, so am just hoping this is in the right place. I found this to have some rather sinister implications, personally, and am wondering if it is not necessarily for fighting terrorism if it happens on US soil, but instead could be used as some kind of "civil disturbance/civil war" training.

Here is the article, and in the link to it, there is also a video that is a "must see" in my opinion.

"The U.S. Military has built a 300 acre “fake city” in Virginia, at the cost of $96 million dollars. Why? The city is a training complex for urban warfare. But most disturbing for Americans should be the fact that it is modeled entirely after middle American cities, like those all over the country.

The “fake city” or “Asymmetric Warfare Training Center” is complete with a sports stadium, bank, school, churches, mosques and even and underground subway. The military explains the purpose is to train for “unspecified future combat scenarios.”

The Telegraph UK reports that “The subway carriages even carry the same logo as the carriages in Washington DC.”

This would seem to suggest that the “unspecified future combat scenarios” are intended to be close to home.

Colonel John P. Petkosek said that, “This is the place where we can be creative, where we can come up with solutions for problems that we don’t even know we have yet… This is where we’ll look at solutions for the future–material solutions and non-material solutions… anything from how you’re going to operate in a subterranean environment to how you dismount a Humvee to avoid an IED strike.”

Watch the video below from Defense Video and Imagery Distribution System, and decide for yourself what the purpose of the Asymmetric Warfare Training Center is."

politicalblindspot.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jessme

Pretty sure this has already been posted before, but the search engine on this site isn't all that great so you may have missed it.

I don't think they're using this for nefarious means, it's just another training facility.

Combat now has moved on from fighting In the jungle and moved into a more urban setting, so the troops need to be trained accordingly otherwise they risk going into combat unprepared.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Stealthbomber
reply to post by jessme

Pretty sure this has already been posted before, but the search engine on this site isn't all that great so you may have missed it.

I don't think they're using this for nefarious means, it's just another training facility.

Combat now has moved on from fighting In the jungle and moved into a more urban setting, so the troops need to be trained accordingly otherwise they risk going into combat unprepared.

Granted...but why pick an American city to emulate? Why not a Russian or Chinese or Iranian or European city? Why not a city made up of several different regional "neighborhoods?" If you are training in American-style architecture and settings with signs in English, it hardly seems like good training for urban combat in Whereverstan. What it does seem like is good training for the possibility of our nation's capital being the site of a future war zone. This doesn't mean it's definitely going to happen, but it seems strange that of all of the possible war theaters to choose from, they built this one. Shows where their heads are at.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

I assume they are using a replica of Washington DC because it is our nation's capital.

This would be one of the most important places to protect from invasion - so I assume the training is for protecting the US Capitol against invading forces (no matter who the invaders ("terrorists") are).

Plus they could use it for attach training too, but that was to answer your question of Why DC.

What do you think?

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Infinitis

Well, yes, but would invade us? And why?

Who has the manpower to fight our armed forces AND 80 million gun owners?

China and Russia want to keep on doing business with us. North Korea or the Islamic nations don't have sufficient air force/navy to get here. And who is going to stop our nukes from vaporizing the home country of any invading force?

I think this drill is civil war preparation. Unless someone is going to try a "White House Down" scenario to try and grab the nuke codes.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

It's illegal for the DOD to use force against it's citizen. You won't find many soldiers keen to fight citizens either.

Now something like a military coup d'état would be more plausible but still highly unlikely.

Go look out on the Nellis Test Range and you'll find plenty of mock cities for training, if I'm not mistaken that's where the replica of UBL's hideout is, for training on before the raid.

Edit: sorry I was mistaken, it was North Carolina where the UBL replica compound was.

edit on 17-2-2014 by Stealthbomber because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Have to point out civilians guns would do very little against a trained army, knowing how to fire them is very different to knowing how to organise yourselves which is what the military is all about.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

Sounds about right to me. Even if not a Civil War, then for at least controlling large groups of protesters if they get out of hand at some point.

Hopefully that never happens.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

norfolkandgood
Have to point out civilians guns would do very little against a trained army, knowing how to fire them is very different to knowing how to organise yourselves which is what the military is all about.

well they seemed pretty effective against America in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan,Iraq and Lybia.

CX

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I wonder how detailed the city will be?

"The next building...No 53....this is Joe Smith's house....he's a veteran with this and that experience...this many weapons...high level threat."

Makes you wonder where all that info we happily give out on the net every day goes.

I appreciate that forces need to train in similar surroundings to get the feel for the place, we did FIBUA training a lot before Northern Ireland. Then again, the special forces also create mock ups of a building before they raid the place.

CX.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

well they seemed pretty effective against America in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan,Iraq and Lybia.

Yes I said against an organised army.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

You are thinking of taking over the country, a few thousand well trained and equipped troops could cause absolute mayhem in a city like DC, the disruption would be massive compared to the cost and having to root them out group by group would require a lot of work and could take ages to have to ensure they have left no explosives behind etc to cause even more mayhem for weeks afterwards and the political value would be immense in that the worlds largest military power cannot even protect its capital city. Reminds me of the Olympus has fallen film where the bad guy says you planned a response time of 10 mins but we did it in 8 (or something like that)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jessme

You are right to suspect that the phony city was built to help repel foreign terrors or troops. It is for us, the growing aspect of the US citizenry that is becoming restless with the doings in DC.

Stop and think about it. Just how bad would a international war with some other nation be going for them to access the inner areas of DC? Pretty bad for things to have been reduced to that state of being, right? If all of our military might had not keep the invaders at bay not to mention dead and bleeding within their home country, how could we image that it would come down to military street fighting in DC? What would be the point at that stage of the game? The politicians would all be secreted in bunkers far away.

Defending against another country is not the explanation. It is to defend against us. They have contingency plans about the possibility that masses of Americans, armed or simply masses of hungry Americans, will descend upon the nation's Capital with a vengeance, demanding what they see as just and fair treatment.

If you have to ask why, you've not been paying to attention. The New World Order, under the guise of several different plans is steadily eroding your rights as a free individual away, one regulation, law or treaty at a time.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Thanks for the comments and feedback on this. I did use the search engine to check but didn't see anything, however, as was posted, the search engine doesn't always work to show up things.

I think this is training for protesters or people who would rise up. Or simply to train people to fire on survivors of catastrophic disasters, either natural or man made?

My own personal opinion is also that all the "zombie" hoopla, including even govts getting in on the "joke" in some training and websites, is a form of desensitization to killing other human beings.

Take this scenario, for instance. An epidemic breaks out, and people are moaning in pain and shambling around trying to find something to eat..or say some cities are nuked, not all in the US, but some,and the survivors are fleeing the area, and have radiation sickness..or simply people are starving and nearly skeletal because of it..

do they look "zombie" enough to be fired on?

just some food for thought..

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jessme

This would be Fort A.P. HIll, Virginia

38 06'41.74" N
77 16'38.27" W

Google Earth no Washington DC copy there but it does have a few unique training facilities for urban warfare.

The Blaze Article
edit on 17-2-2014 by MarlinGrace because: Update with link

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Snsoc

Stealthbomber
reply to post by jessme

Granted...but why pick an American city to emulate? Why not a Russian or Chinese or Iranian or European city? Why not a city made up of several different regional "neighborhoods?" If you are training in American-style architecture and settings with signs in English, it hardly seems like good training for urban combat in Whereverstan. What it does seem like is good training for the possibility of our nation's capital being the site of a future war zone. This doesn't mean it's definitely going to happen, but it seems strange that of all of the possible war theaters to choose from, they built this one. Shows where their heads are at.

Imagine if Russia found out we made a training facility based on their places! It would be an act of war, to be training on how to attack them in specific! It has to be somewhere that won't start a war simply based on what the place looks like! I don't know why we train anyways, people pushing buttons doesn't take all that much training!

Fly a drone in and drop a missile.....Okay back to my nap....

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Stealthbomber

really?
I searched US Military builds fake D.C.

the first thread listed is this one.

the second is the old one
www.abovetopsecret.com...

search works great, if you know how to search.

and, with that, this thread is closed due to it being a duplicate. please head over the older thread to discuss it.

new topics

top topics

join