It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congrats, Bigots... Kansas Has Your Back!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

The problem with that mentality is that none of these businesses are on private islands. They are supplied by roads I pay for, protected by police I pay for, and is being supported by money created by our public economy.

Not unless you happen to live in Kansas.

Besides them evil Christians also pay property taxes too.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I don't understand how it is suppose to be enforced. So if two men or two women go out to eat at one of these businesses, who determines if they are gay or straight? Does the business owner ask outright "Who are you sleeping with tonight"? Does the owner hire Bubba as a bouncer? I can see all kinds of scenarios that could get a business owner a lawsuit.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

neo96
reply to post by Cuervo

The problem with that mentality is that none of these businesses are on private islands. They are supplied by roads I pay for, protected by police I pay for, and is being supported by money created by our public economy.

Who aren't barred from establishments!

Gods, why can't you guys see the difference here?

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
You know, skipping ahead of all the epeen measurements ...

I think the proposed bill is clearly unconstitutional under the KANSAS State Constitution:

Article I - Bill of Rights

2. Political power; privileges. All political power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority, and are instituted for their equal protection and benefit. No special privileges or immunities shall ever be granted by the legislature, which may not be altered, revoked or repealed by the same body; and this power shall be exercised by no other tribunal or agency.

7. Religious liberty. The right to worship God according to the dictates of conscience shall never be infringed; nor shall any person be compelled to attend or support any form of worship; nor shall any control of or interference with the rights of conscience be permitted, nor any preference be given by law to any religious establishment or mode of worship. No religious test or property qualification shall be required for any office of public trust, nor for any vote at any elections, nor shall any person be incompetent to testify on account of religious belief.

See the bolded text: it's pretty clear to me that they're trampling their own Constitution underfoot in their zeal to protect from ... whatever they're protecting from .

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Who aren't barred from establishments! Gods, why can't you guys see the difference here?

Gasp!

*Insert fake outrage here*

Had no idea that all businesses were ran by evil Christians!

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Cuervo

neo96
reply to post by Cuervo

Maybe because you're acting like there is no such thing as private property and the only private places in the world are islands??? Can anybody just come to your house with dirty shoes and run through the place without any consequence? Free room and board, I'll take it, what's your address??

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

neo96
reply to post by Cuervo

Who aren't barred from establishments! Gods, why can't you guys see the difference here?

Gasp!

*Insert fake outrage here*

Had no idea that all businesses were ran by evil Christians!

How did I imply that? You were making a point that those businesses are also supported by Christians and I was pointing out that those Christians aren't barred from going to any of those businesses.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Religious freedom is fine, but Religion should not have any power to control Law as it is a Belief, Sexuality, Race and Gender are not Beliefs.

this is just gross, that many people are Hateful. and that is the bottom of it. this has nothing to do with "Freedom" or "Constitution" it's about Hate

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Title II Outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion or national origin in hotels, motels, restaurants, theaters, and all other public accommodations engaged in interstate commerce; exempted private clubs without defining the term "private"

Civil Rights Act of 1964

Perhaps "protected classes" was the wrong choice of words, but my point remains the same. People are protected from discrimination based on race, color, religion and national origin. These days this includes sexual orientation in most states and i predict that in the near future all states will include discrimination based on sexual orientation as a civil rights violation.

Anybody who stands for discrimination in any form is on the wrong side of history.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

How did I imply that? You were making a point that those businesses are also supported by Christians and I was pointing out that those Christians aren't barred from going to any of those businesses.

Yeah well I am thinking back to my tobacco threads, and it was all fine and dandy to 'discriminate' against smokers.

And that private business 'decision' was defended, then I read this thread.

And all I see is cognitive dissonance.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

jheated5

Cuervo

neo96
reply to post by Cuervo

Maybe because you're acting like there is no such thing as private property and the only private places in the world are islands??? Can anybody just come to your house with dirty shoes and run through the place without any consequence? Free room and board, I'll take it, what's your address??

Any business in society has to play by the rules of that society. It doesn't matter how private it is. These are stores that exist solely because of the public funds that built the infrastructure that allows it to run.

And if you start making silly comparisons of homes and businesses, then does that mean everybody who lives in a home is a job creator? Is my family a corporation or people? The comparison doesn't make sense.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

This law is a clear example of why religion should never have any say in government.

Your statement is a clear example of so many which cannot recognise that equating sexuality to gender and race IS of religion - the religion of your country which openly declares itself in your temples in DC, your phallic monuments, your Greek god statues and George Washington as "God" hanging above his "empty tomb" in the Capitol building...If you think the 180 degree shift from shunning homosexuality to celebrating it AS IF it was a gender or race stems from humanism or secularism, you could not be more wrong. Look to the religions which embrace pederasty, sodomy and temple prostitution and you will find your answers. They are there. From filling the airwaves with sex, hidden sodomy subliminals to the invention of the american sport of football - two teams of muscular men called 'wide receivers' and 'tight-ends' vying to get into each other's 'end zones', I hate to break it to you, but most are under a delusion when they say and think what you just wrote.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

neo96
reply to post by Cuervo

Yeah well I am thinking back to my tobacco threads, and it was all fine and dandy to 'discriminate' against smokers.

And that private business 'decision' was defended, then I read this thread.

And all I see is cognitive dissonance.

The thread I remember was about a chain choosing not to carry smokes anymore, not ban people who smoke. In fact, the smoking bans pissed me off, too.

ps edit - Also, this thread isn't about a business making a decision. It's about the GOVERNMENT making that decision, much like the smoking bans.

I'm starting to think I'm just against "bans", in general. Guns, smokes, gays... banning is stupid.

edit on 17-2-2014 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Cuervo

jheated5

Cuervo

neo96
reply to post by Cuervo

Any business in society has to play by the rules of that society. It doesn't matter how private it is. These are stores that exist solely because of the public funds that built the infrastructure that allows it to run.

And if you start making silly comparisons of homes and businesses, then does that mean everybody who lives in a home is a job creator? Is my family a corporation or people? The comparison doesn't make sense.

What are you talking about? You think all businesses were created through public funding?? I guess no private business owners build their own building or buy deeds to property, that's right it was all built by the government!

Well wasn't it ruled recently that corporations are people? I believe that's how I understood it..

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

jheated5

Cuervo

jheated5

Cuervo

neo96
reply to post by Cuervo

What are you talking about? You think all businesses were created through public funding?? I guess no private business owners build their own building or buy deeds to property, that's right it was all built by the government!

Well wasn't it ruled recently that corporations are people? I believe that's how I understood it..

No, that's not what I said. What I said is that those businesses can not exist without the infrastructure that supports it. It's a very large economic ecology that is largely fueled by taxes. Those taxes are public.

Also, the issue here isn't entirely the right for a business to deny service to a person, it's the fact that they passed a bill that targets one demographic in a biased manner which, in my opinion, violates church and state separation.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I want to play devil's advocate for a moment: from whence do the "rights of property" arise?

IN other words, how do we get property rights? I own a house. What gives me ownership?

(I'm fully aware of what deeds, titles, covenants, and estates define; no need to explain that to me.)

What is the SOURCE of your property rights?
edit on 15Mon, 17 Feb 2014 15:36:23 -060014p032014266 by Gryphon66 because: booboo

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
www.politicususa.net... well law was never actually passed and killed by the senate today so guess this one has a good ending

The Kansas Senate decided on Friday that they would kill the legislation that was passed earlier this week by the state’s House of Representatives. The bill, known as House Bill 2453, would have opened the door to widespread segregation and discrimination of those in the LGBT community. On Tuesday, the House of Representatives, which is overwhelmingly Republican, passed the bill with ease by a vote of 72-49. It was assumed that with a large majority in the state’s Senate and the extremely conservative Sam Brownback as Governor, the legislation was going to fly through and become law. Well, something happened along the way. Perhaps it was the fact that the law made national headlines and had a lot of blowback. Or maybe it was due to what Andrew Sullivan wrote on Friday regarding what the law would do for the LGBT community. In his column, Sullivan accurately noted that passing a law that so blatantly discriminates gays and treats them like second-class citizens would inevitably be the death knell for the religious right in its attempt to prevent the advancement of gay rights. Basically, by going forward with this, the gay community could rightly point to this law and compare it to the Jim Crow laws of the South. It also would have an avalanche effect on the GOP, as young voters would be turned off by them for good due to their penchant for bigotry. Sullivan nailed it with the following paragraph:
so seems they shot them selves in the foot with this one.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Gryphon66
I want to play devil's advocate for a moment: from whence do the "rights of property" arise?

IN other words, how do we get property rights? I own a house. What gives me ownership?

(I'm fully aware of what deeds, titles, covenants, and estates define; no need to explain that to me.)

What is the SOURCE of your property rights?
edit on 15Mon, 17 Feb 2014 15:36:23 -060014p032014266 by Gryphon66 because: booboo

Community is your source of property rights, they set up private property to begin with. There should be no involvement really between the government and property rights. That's why I still don't understand why property taxes are being paid and government is dictating who does what with theirs....

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Which community set up property rights?

How did the community do it to "begin with"?

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Cuervo

I'm starting to think I'm just against "bans", in general. Guns, smokes, gays... banning is stupid.

edit on 17-2-2014 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

I can swing with that.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join