It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Underground Chambers of Gilmerton Cove

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Rosslyn Chapel was built in 1446, so the story could start long before Isaac Newton! I'm wondering if it's been home to many groups over the centuries.
But I'm open to all theories!!

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by beansidhe

I'm reminded of the fact that the limestone tunnels and caverns within the Rock of Gibraltar were excavated easily by the British military, using ordinary spades, pickaxes etc because the interior of the rock was soft and only became hard when exposed to air. Similarly, some sandstones can be quite loosely agglomerated and can be carved with pen knives. Rock houses at Kinver and Bridgnorth in England were excavated and inhabited for years by people who had nothing but ordinary tools. Whilst I do not know the geology of the Gilmerton Cove area, if sandstone or limestone are present then the excavations are well wiihin ordinary capabilities.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

Yes! Mohahahahaha.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by beansidhe

My bet is on the vatican having the holy grail it in there secret vault.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Fantastic stuff... The city of Nottingham is riddled with these sort of cave like structures and a team of surveyors have actually started documenting them with a virtual mapping system.
Nottingham caves survey

edit on 19-2-2014 by zeevar because: youtube link

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by zeevar

Wow zeevar, that is really exciting! Have there been any conclusions about their function or their age?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by zeevar

Wow, that surveying software is impressive!

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   
An update on the tunnels was on the news today; it is now thought that they stretch to almost double the size as originally supposed. More chambers, as yet unexplored, have also been discovered.

Now scientists from the universities of St Andrews and Edinburgh are using ground-penetrating radar equipment to map out what else may lie beneath. The waves bounce off cavities or tunnels carved into the rock below.

The team has discovered that the subterranean network is at least double the size originally thought. Simon Shackley, from Edinburgh University's School of Geosciences, said: "On the other side of Gilmerton Road there is a rather large chamber that is probably about 4m [13ft] deep."

"There also appear to be cavities in front of the cove and behind it - both about 2m deep".

BBC Scotland

Dr Richard Bates, of St Andrews University, told BBC Scotland the tunnels were "strange places" with very little detail about who used them or why they were built in the first place.

"Perhaps by the work we're doing - if we're getting a bigger picture we're mapping in a more extensive way the footprint of it - then what we're hoping is that will tell us something about the use," he said.

"If it's got lots more passageways or maybe it's only got these two single passageways, but they might be leading somewhere else. And where they're leading to could potentially tell us what these were used for."

This is a really exciting development and hopefully we will hear more soon. Personally, I'm hoping that the tunnels lead to Rosslyn Chapel and that they have many more secrets to deliver.

B x

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Tag for later reading.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Oh great this will surely give more bs to be exploited by the curse of oak island show, lol

I can see it now:
What if the tunnels contain a rock in a weird shape ? And the masonic connections?

could these caverns contain the secret to oak island?

Could the tunnels connect to oak island?

Or even worse they will come up with the curse of the Edinburgh tunnel?

Jk aside cant wait till the get more info on this.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

sadly your video link says "this video is private". do you have any other links to it?

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

This is the one currently posted on the site linked in the OP.

It is fairly similar and gives a good view of the rooms.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join