It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Underground Chambers of Gilmerton Cove

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+77 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Behind the doors of this typical cottage in the suburbs of Edinburgh, lies a bizarre mystery which remains unsolved to this day.

Once inside the cottage, steps lead down to a network of chambers and tunnels carved from the solid rock below.

The story tells of George Paterson, a local blacksmith who carved the rooms for his family to live in between 1719-1724, and to function as a secret drinking place for customers. Many have contested that it would be impossible for one man to carve so much in just 5 years, and that these rooms are much, much older.

And what is carved only adds to the mystery. A fireplace with no chimney, a well that does not reach water, sealed off corridors and a mysterious bowl carved into one of the stone tables in a side alcove.

One sealed passage is rumoured to run directly to nearby Rosslyn Chapel, home to its own fair share of mysteries. Others say they lead to nearby Craigmillar Castle.

The still visible marks of the Masonic square and compasses, carved on a table, and the cat carved on the wall only fuel the fire of speculation that this was a secret Masonic meeting place, a witches coven, a refuge for the Coventars or even the Knights Templars. Some speculate that this is where the notorious Hellfire Club met, whose members included earls, lords and members of parliament and whose motto was ‘Do as you will’.

Nobody knows why these tunnels were carved, or what secrets they hold, and Gilmerton Cove remains one of Scotland’s most mysterious houses.
I only learned of this today, and wanted to share this creepy tale. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

The Mystery of Gilmerton Cove

Undiscovered Scotland

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by beansidhe

Never heard of this place, got some reading to do. Good find S&F for you

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Love this kind of stuff! It amazes me that with local gossip and folklore being so strong that it isn't found in folk songs and superstitions or old newpapers. Have you investigated it all? Nice photos, very interesting.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Me too! No, I'm afraid to say I'd never even heard of it until today, when I was looking for something quite unrelated. It's definitely on my list of places to visit now though!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Intresting, i wish they could open the doorway and see what´s behind it. Graal or not.. passage to church or not.. there has to be a way to support the street and investigate, i believe the answer is there.
wanted to link the youtube video which was in one of the links

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Thanks dollukka, good thinking!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Awesome find! Thank you for sharing!!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

You are most welcome Night Star!
Here's a floor plan of the rooms:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Oh you beat me to it in posting a vid. LOL

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
A well that does not reach water?

What need? It's full of the blood of their victims ready for the ritual.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

No probs lol.. i thought it was very intresting vid
No harm if its posted twice.. it was that good !

But in the subject again... if the Graal is there shouldn´t this place be guarded 24/7.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
By far the most interesting thing I have seen in some time. I find it amazing how so many ancient civilizations carved so much out of solid stone.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Ah well, there are other rumours that the Grail is in the sealed vault, just a few miles away at Rosslyn Chapel:

And if these places are linked, who knows?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

St0rD
A well that does not reach water?

What need? It's full of the blood of their victims ready for the ritual.

Creepy, eh? Some people think it was a pit, a dungeon...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

What im intrested of is who built the house above it and if the first owners had mason connection. That house cannot be as old as the caves under it.
Rosslyn church is intresting as well as it has some very weird looking carvings.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Nobody knows for sure, but I think from reading just now, that the house is from the time of the supposed Paterson, whether or not he ever existed. It was certainly there in 1792 when it was inspected by a Reverend Thomas Whyte, who concluded that one man did not carve the chambers alone.

Rosslyn is fascinating in itself. Have a look

Rosslyn Chapel
edit on 16-2-2014 by beansidhe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

dollukka
Intresting, i wish they could open the doorway and see what´s behind it.

Why haven't the locals used ground penetrating scanners on it yet? They would surely show where the tunnel leads and therefore give an indication of whether they are worth the effort of opening up.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

It looks like some preliminary work was done in 2002, but I can't find a follow up. I would guess money features in one way or another!

Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
i live 16 miles away from there! how have i never heard about this until now?

its amazing!

thanks for bringing it to my attention, i will have go on the tour sometime

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JamboD

Ah man don't keep us waiting to long. Better be your next day off

Get a picture of the Graal or don't bother posting

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join