It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snake handling preacher killed by snake

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well, another segment of the bible is shown to not be infallible- you know the verse that says Jesus' followers will be immune to snake venom? Well, apparently it's not true (surprise). The scary thing is that I used to believe things like this- long, long ago before I woke up.

Snake-handling preacher dies -- of snakebite

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The only deadly poison in this story is religion. Snakes of course have a purpose on our lil planet, but going to church isnt one of them they belong in the wild or on a plane.

All religions should make snake handling mandatory. I can't think of a better example of evolution. Good riddance.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
He should have put more faith in the antivenom,than in god. How will his followers justify this?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Aahhh, the ways of the Lord...infinite...but more than anything IRONIC AS HELL.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

CB328
Well, another segment of the bible is shown to not be infallible- you know the verse that says Jesus' followers will be immune to snake venom? Well, apparently it's not true (surprise). The scary thing is that I used to believe things like this- long, long ago before I woke up.

www.cnn.com...

Ego 0...snake 1. Shoulda taken medical help.....another reality show FAIL...

From your link... This is how the gene pool flushes...

(CNN) -- A Kentucky pastor who starred in a reality show about snake-handling in church has died -- of a snakebite.

Jamie Coots died Saturday evening after refusing to be treated, Middleborough police said.

On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. The practice is illegal in most states, but still goes on, primarily in the rural South.

Des

edit on 16-2-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Good.
Being stupid should hurt.

Hopefully his congregation learned a lesson here.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

He didn't believe hard enough?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Darwin was right. Natural selection and all...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Some of those people are almost immune to snake bites. Apparently, he wasn't. If you watch some old footage of the show 'Ax Men', you will see a man named Shelby Stanga. He picks up snakes, like the really bad ones(rattlers, cotton mouths) and lets them bite him. He has almost no reaction to it because he has been bitten so many times. I've heard of people like that before so I don't think it's fake.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
There is a lesson in all of this.

Something about playing with fire etc...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

The shyster normally remove the poison gland, maybe someone switched his snake!

A venomoid is a venomous snake that has undergone a surgical procedure to remove or inhibit the production of venom. This procedure has been used for venomous snakes, kept for pets or used in public demonstrations, to remove the risk of injury or death when handled.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Adam

Eve

Preacher John Holbrook

Preacher Jaime Coots

Well played snakes.... well played...

I will never understand a religion that directs its followers to do something that, if common sense were applied, should not do.

Char-Lee
reply to post by CB328

The shyster normally remove the poison gland, maybe someone switched his snake!

A venomoid is a venomous snake that has undergone a surgical procedure to remove or inhibit the production of venom. This procedure has been used for venomous snakes, kept for pets or used in public demonstrations, to remove the risk of injury or death when handled.

en.wikipedia.org...

...and here we are trying to ban guns...
edit on 16-2-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The preacher is a victim! He is innocent! He is. . . . oh wait. . . . . .

He's a Christian. So he's an idiot.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Ironic?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I hope the snake is okay.

-Peace-

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Doesn't the bible say not to step on snakes because you'll be bitten? How does this translate into "play with them in stressful environments and you'll be immune"?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

TXRabbit
Darwin was right. Natural selection and all...

From my point of view both god and Darwin both agree with evolution.

I kinda liked the end of the video on
religion.blogs.cnn.com...
where he say that he wanna welcome everybody, and love everybody since god is love.

Pentecostalism or Classical Pentecostalism is a renewal movement[1] within Christianity that places special emphasis on a direct personal experience of God through the baptism with the Holy Spirit. The term Pentecostal is derived from Pentecost, the Greek name for the Jewish Feast of Weeks. For Christians, this event commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the followers of Jesus Christ, as described in the second chapter of the Book of Acts.

They seem to get that spirituality is more than a garment at least. May he enjoy himself wherever he now is. It was his time.
edit on 16-2-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
His was the ultimate example of personal responsibility.

If you're gonna go, go by doing what you want.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

AccessDenied
He should have put more faith in the antivenom,than in god. How will his followers justify this?

It was the Lord's will. He was called home at this time for a purpose. Praise the Lord!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

CB328

www.cnn.com...

You used to believe that Jesus said His followers are immune to snake venom?

Good thing you woke up.

Seriously, though, the Word has never lied. People lied to you about the Word.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join