It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars/MRO: The Hellas Planitia "Airstrip" Anomaly

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Time to quote Prometheus, the movie: "God does not build in straight lines"

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious69

Well the size shouldn't be the issue. Because Mars is smaller then earth. So the if there once was a civilization they could be much smaller then we are?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Knowing exactly where to look, I found another photo that shows the topmost "airstrip" "feature 2", and, as usual when I have two photos, I tried to make a stereo animated version ...

and a free-view (not cross-eye, thanks Blue Shift) version ...

As the photos were not taken to make a stereo pair the result was not that good.

PS: the other photo is photo P19_008532_1442_XN_35S292W
edit on 19/2/2014 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

ArMaP

Knowing exactly where to look, I found another photo that shows the topmost "airstrip" "feature 2", and, as usual when I have two photos, I tried to make a stereo animated version ...

Thanks, ArMaP, it does add some perspective and depth to the terrain ... and here's an attempt to combine those 2 MRO images for the first feature of the OP:

And the free-view version:

Source Image 1
Source Image 2

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Great pictures guys!
Is it possible to find out somehow which way these things point, I mean, like an East-West alignment would be outstanding.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
this is actually impressive,

typically I'm a skeptic, but this seems like it might have something to it.

now if only we had some better pics of it, preferbly close up pics, we might get a decent Idea of what it actually is.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

jammer2012
Just wondering... could they be tracks from one of the other rovers that have landed over the years or have we not landed in that area before ?

They are too small (the rovers) to leave tracks that large and you are right, this is in an area the rovers aren't near.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

jeep3r

Sandcastler

I'm not saying that's what it is, just what it looks like to me. I have a background in geology, so that's what it reminded me of at first glance. Could be something entirely different though. Look at feature #2. Just to the east and northeast there are similar, larger areas of lines going the exact same direction, just fainter in color. Makes me think something was acting on that general region as a whole.

Thanks for your opinion on this, Sandcastler. I've been following the discussion between you and WanDash and think it's good to also consider potential 'natural' causes for these formations.

As far as glaciers are concerned, perhaps they might indeed have been the culprits in the remote past. IMO that's difficult to tell, though, without further geological expertise. Perhaps we can find some more earthly examples of landscapes that show similar patterns, could be a trail worth following up on.

I'll certainly also take some time to see what I can find, although I'm still completely undecided as to what could have caused these 3 seemingly 'similar' formations. The patterns, notably those of the first example, are a bit disturbing ...

I must say, I do like your 'presentation' of the anomalies, You are presenting them with an open mind and listening to everyone's input on them.
I wish all posters of Mars anomalies presented this way, it creates good, non-hostile evaluation and discussion.
Well done! S & F for sure!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Hi Jeep, man I really like your style.
We know you're a believer but your education provides us with a balanced and unbiased approach. Great, seriously.

On that note I dare say your OP is very interesting and worth investigating further.
I'm drawn to the size similarities and the retangular consistency in all three (or four?) areas of interest. It's curious too the way the areas are not parallels and still show the same geological features.

As always we end up with the 2 sides split appart.

I'd only want to remind the skeptics that were these features in a photograph of Egypt, one would take then as manmade structure candidates.

So, why not in Mars? It sounds as plausible to me as it would with any other more conventional explanation.

Great find! S&F for the neat job once again?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

ArMaP

I needed to redo my previous version in order to achieve a better alignment ... so I decided to make gifs & free-views for all 3 of the features, based on the 2 different MRO images:
_________________________________________________________________________________

FEATURE 1

And the free-view version ...

_________________________________________________________________________________

FEATURE 2

FEATURE 3

Source Image 1
Source Image 2

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Utnapisjtim
reply to post by jeep3r

Two things first NO god second MOTHER NATURE does!!!

Bassalt Columns

Bismuth Crystal

Bismuth (element #83 on the periodic table) forms beautifully colored and geometrically intricate hopper crystals, shown in the image to the left, as it slowly cools and solidifies from its molten state.

Plenty more if you bother to look.

NEVER assume what nature can and cannot do!!!
edit on 20-2-2014 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Strange then that we still have to cut timber and stones and use formwork. Nature is straight as square already.

Nature is the rules and building blocks in God's puzzle. Inspired by nature and the spirit of life, language and the soul, man has made gods of his own or defined limits for the One who Is. Fact is we will never understand God, whether as a concept of nature or as a concept of the intellect. So to try disproving or proving God's existence is quite meaningless and a waste of time really.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Utnapisjtim
reply to post by wmd_2008

Strange then that we still have to cut timber and stones and use formwork. Nature is straight as square already.

Nature is the rules and building blocks in God's puzzle. Inspired by nature and the spirit of life, language and the soul, man has made gods of his own or defined limits for the One who Is. Fact is we will never understand God, whether as a concept of nature or as a concept of the intellect. So to try disproving or proving God's existence is quite meaningless and a waste of time really.

But at least we can try to understand how straight lines and angles are produced in nature.

Pyrite

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

ArMaP

Arken
Beware, my friend, you are entering in a strange dominion.... Hell (as) Basin

Hellas means Greece.

No it's Ellas or Ἑλλάς in Greek because Greece or Greek was given to modern Greeks by the Romans and Hellas isn't same as the word Greece.

Old English Grēcas ‘the Greeks’, from Latin Graeci, the name given by the Romans to the people who called themselves the Hellenes, from Greek Graikoi, which according to Aristotle was the prehistoric name of the Hellenes.

planitia in Greek means planets so its hellenic planets the region in Greek.
edit on 20-2-2014 by MegaSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the topic, this region needs investigating. Those pictures show what appear to me as abandoned settlements of by gone era. Very interesting.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

MegaSpace

ArMaP

Arken
Beware, my friend, you are entering in a strange dominion.... Hell (as) Basin

Hellas means Greece.

No it's Ellas or Ἑλλάς in Greek because Greece or Greek was given to modern Greeks by the Romans and Hellas isn't same as the word Greece.

In Norway, we call Greece Hellas and a Greek greker. Pleanty other languages use Hellas instead of one way or the other to write Greece, Grekenland or whatever. Makes me think of the Netherlands somehow

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Fine. My point was: If you find straight lines, especially long ones-- in nature, you should look up for intelligence. And you bring in pyrite? Please!

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Utnapisjtim

Except shorelines, of course. And when things roll down hills. Trajectories, as it were, when viewed straight on. Oh, and crystals. Come to think of it "God" is all about straight lines. Circles, too.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

MegaSpace

Thanks, I forgot that I have seen it written without the "H".

Does "Hellas" mean anything in Greek?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Utnapisjtim
reply to post by wildespace

Fine. My point was: If you find straight lines, especially long ones-- in nature, you should look up for intelligence. And you bring in pyrite? Please!

Except for one thing the lines in the OP pictures aren't straight if you you look, in the same way that the basalt picture I posted they look straight enough at the correct distance but not as straight as say the pyrite edges!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join