It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars/MRO: The Hellas Planitia "Airstrip" Anomaly

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

dam great finds Jeep3r , I wonder if the martians play golf? :

I think I might have found where the ball went , not far from where curiosity is heading , other odd looking features too but ill post them up on the potentials

funBox

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Just wondering... could they be tracks from one of the other rovers that have landed over the years or have we not landed in that area before ?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Great find! S&F for you! I find them very amazing in both geological terms or perhaps artificial. Either way I really love this stuff. The natural science of Mars is almost as interesting as my pet theories on ancient civilizations!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Jeep, you've hit another home run. This is very interesting, and mathematically odd.

Good eye (only one, like the Illuminati use when they're on a roll).

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

The orientation of those large strips reminds me of Orion's belt - Alnilam , Mintaka and Alnitak -

a very common ancient astronomical reference . But that would need more geometric analysis...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Great find OP! Very interesting. I particularly find interesting the one with all the "boxes" in it.

reply to post by drphilxr

Nice observation there. I completely see it.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
meh! Double post
edit on 16-2-2014 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

jeep3r
Well, it's not really airstrips, I guess, but that was - in fact - the best analogy I could come up with to describe 3 nearly rectangular "strips" that caught my attention while checking satellite imagery acquired by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO). The interesting thing about these 'strips' is that they are all ~1000m across (lengthwise). Coincidence? You be the judge ...

All of the below formations are located within a range of 25 kilometers in a region called 'Hellas Planitia'. The images are grey-scale and were taken using the HiRISE Context Camera (CTX) with a resolution of ~5m/pixel. Here goes a map with all 3 formations in one overview (MRO CTX Source Image):
...The first formation is probably the most noteworthy, mostly due to the various subdivisions which seem to be logical proportions of the base dimensions, eg. 100m (1/10th of 1km), 50m (1/20th of 1km) and so on...
...The fact that all of the above formations have roughly the same length incl. similar straight features over a distance of one kilometer made me think it might be worth posting this. That's not to say that these are necessarily artificial structures, but even in geological terms this could be of interest given these extraordinary alignments and subdivisions. Should anybody happen to know similar formations on Earth displaying such patterns, I'd be grateful for any additional information and/or comparisons.

Thanks for reading up to here and I'm very much looking forward to your thoughts on this ...

jeep3r - thanks for another intriguing thread!
As you (presumably), I cannot, nor can anyone, give a definitive answer on "what" the structures are.
They certainly seem to be "intentional"...
...do not appear to be the simple result of elemental erosion...and
...are situated amid a vast array of other such "apparently intentional" objects.
This area, however, does not appear to be much more loaded with such displays than many/most of the other high resolution images of the surface - and, as has been illustrated by others, is not much different from many surface areas on Earth.
It seems that Funbox has alluded to similar finds.
Hope to be able to join the discussions further, when appropriate.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It does give one a great deal of food for thought..

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

I'm always fascinated when our minds at ATS find these little "surprises" on Mars. I'm a huge believer in the Mars as "Earth Part 1" theory, and that the asteroid belt was once another planet in our Solar System which caused a massive cataclysm on Mars when it destructed. I believe that as we are able to send manned expeditions to Mars (hopefully a two-way ticket), we will find more than we bargained for. I truly believe that our origins lie somewhere on Mars (or at least snippets of where we came from).

There have been some very good comments from both sides alike, and I only hope that as we continue to explore this amazing planet, we will find more and more clues to the history of "us" and of the Solar System.

-TS

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I've been on here a loooong time and I started out the younger wanna find the secret base type but as I got older ans saw more and more 'look at this' posts it became clear people would see anything they wanted to see in rocks and clouds etc etc.

I've seen people claim lizards, skeletons, aircraft, engines, cans and a whole lot else on Mars yet we have to be honest and admit its rocks, sand and shadows. This airport is no different, its merely natural items set out in a symmetrical way as seen all over earth.

Please, unless you see an alien figure sitting in a window waving like a loon then its more likely just ROCKS.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Mclaneinc

I've been on here a loooong time and I started out the younger wanna find the secret base type but as I got older ans saw more and more 'look at this' posts it became clear people would see anything they wanted to see in rocks and clouds etc etc.

I know what you're getting at, but I'm first of all (and prior to any interpretation) looking at 3 rectangular 'strips' within close proximity to eachother, each with a base length of ~1000m. That struck me as odd and I guess we'd all like to know how that could be explained (geologically or otherwise).

I've seen people claim lizards, skeletons, aircraft, engines, cans and a whole lot else on Mars yet we have to be honest and admit its rocks, sand and shadows. This airport is no different, its merely natural items set out in a symmetrical way as seen all over earth.

Personally, I've seen enough images to remain very, very sceptical of the "barren red planet" theory. I also remember a few misinterpreted features and understand that it's frustrating to deal with disappointments when things turn out to be just rocks or shadows.

But I also recall more than a handful of items that are extremely difficult to explain, geologically speaking. With that said, I wouldn't abandon all hope just yet, if I were you ... IMO there's still a plethora of inconvenient questions left to answer. Everything else would be too much of a generalization at this point in time.

By the way: would you mind linking to some of the similar looking natural items that you think exist all over the Earth? Thanks in advance ...
edit on 17-2-2014 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

When someone mentions Mars lizards I have a tendency to post this pic. It's a bad habit, I know, but I'm taking things for it and going to meetings.

I agree with Jeep. I'm very skeptical, but Jeep's anomalies thread that many of us have been working for awhile has some good repeatable "things" which are of course rocks until they aren't. So a little question mark is left open, a percentage of a chance kept alive, and having that in your life is quite fun. The times that something pretty strange comes around - like this current 1000-meter-stare that Jeep found - and it drifts into the Fortean realm, is quite fun.

This one, using meters and finding a very tight alignment of measurements over a small area of Mars, would at least rate a mention in FATE magazine, if the Fullers were still around.
edit on 17-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

All those features are parallel to the sides of the photos, do you think that's a coincidence?

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

jeep3r
These comparisons are amazing, I wasn't aware of those features located near Puma Punku.

It doesn't look near Puma Punku, the whole geology looks different, it looks more like the Middle East.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

0bserver1
Talking about billions of years erosion here? Then it could be some intelligently made by some civilization.. I don't know I'm neutral about this? But nevertheless worth discussing..

edit on 0b18America/ChicagoSun, 16 Feb 2014 13:20:18 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSun, 16 Feb 2014 13:20:18 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

Ok Lets have some .. Little Fun...

I see PPL talking about Airstrips like Structures on Mars the Moon and and on Earth at Ancient Sites Like Puma Punku and Nasca Lines .. Doing Comparison's Geometry likeness on this Thread ... well it's interesting of the Dimension's are close to the Same in 3 locations .. of what the Op has Posted.. of this Rectangle platform Airstrip

Here are some extreme similarity's between Mar's Cydonia Site and Earth's IRAN

MARS ! Cydonia and Earth IRAN comparison

The Face of Mars and the 5 sided Pyramid Mound
Mars Face

Iran Mound ( Face may of been Worn as it looks )

The 5 side pyramid Looks the same....

Mars Cydonia know as the D&M Pyramid

Earth Iran Dadan Mound

The "D&M Pyramid"
www.mactonnies.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Looks like large scale glacial striation to me. Marks can be very symmetrical and box like. Here are some examples on earth.

static.panoramio.com...
rhsastronomyblog.wikispaces.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

Please, unless you see an alien figure sitting in a window waving like a loon then its more likely just ROCKS.

Here you go... Ariadnes Colles... on Mars

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Here at ATS I first got confronted with all the weird "manmade" structures on Mars and over the years I got 110 % convinced that there must have been an intelligence responsible for creating those 'unnatural' structures.

I got so very convinced that I am not longer a believer but a....( whats that word again?). As matter of fact I got so rationaly convinced that I consider every non-believer uninformed, ignorant or plain stupid if that person has been as much informed as I am. Yes I know..those are dangerous words. There is Always the unlikely possibillity I am wrong and become a self confessed idiot.

edit on 17/2/2014 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

I'm not denying that it could be an airstrip , but looking at the OP reference I can find many similar geological places that could also go for airstrips?

It's more like something scraped the tops of those hills ?

I mean not that I don't believe there are old remnants from ancient civilizations.
But I think I would first look if the surrounding area showed more similar places before stating this could be airstrips thats all..

ArMaP
reply to post by LABTECH767

All those features are parallel to the sides of the photos, do you think that's a coincidence?

In this case I have to go with Armaps statement ..

edit on 0b34America/ChicagoMon, 17 Feb 2014 15:45:34 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 17 Feb 2014 15:45:34 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 0b23America/ChicagoMon, 17 Feb 2014 16:04:23 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 17 Feb 2014 16:04:23 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join