It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Data protection: Angela Merkel proposes Europe network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

German Chancellor Angela Merkel is proposing building up a European communications network to help improve data protection.

It would avoid emails and other data automatically passing through the United States.

Data protection: Angela Merkel proposes Europe network

This is pretty straightforward. Merkel represents the second attempt to sever the connection between a regional internet and the U.S. - Brazil has already done it, or is working on it.

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Brazil plans to divorce itself from the U.S.-centric Internet over Washington's widespread online spying, a move that many experts fear will be a potentially dangerous first step toward fracturing a global network built with minimal interference by governments.

Brazil Wants its Own Internet after NSA Controversy

Merkel is the Chancellor of Germany (also a physicist). So she would represent the EU - the interesting thing is that the French have already signed on to the initiative, as well.

I think this represents a lack of faith in American politics and intelligence agencies by the EU and also the growing economy in South America. As two regions are opting for their own, separate networks, could more follow?

I am not sure what this means for internet traffic - if anyone has any more information, let me know.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I question the motives of such a move....what is to stop the proposed system from continuing to share information with the NSA?

This sounds more like an attempt to re-establish trust, what better way to re-assure the public but carry on what you're doing....no-one will know....unless another Snowden comes along

Hey presto...a work around.

Or worse, the European agency sets up its own NSA....Oh wait, no, we already have that....it's called GCHQ.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I dont think it is a good idea.

Think about this, right now the internet is one giant sphere of info, besides china really which has the "great firewall of china" which has created a separate sphere that little if any info not oked by their government gets through.

What is to stop the govs from trying to do this everywhere and forcing info lock on all the nations of the earth?

I think the NSA spying stuff is criminal, but if the entire world does this there will be no difference between the regular MSN and the net now.

Maybe it is a good thing though, as info lock will cause someone to make a new get around just like they always do, and a new form of open forum communications network to arise.

The net only exists because people like the free flow of info, shut that flow off, and the people will create a new avenue, there is no going back now....

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Oh how well the pieces fall together, so there was an agenda behind this Snowden affair.

Riddle me this, if you have been following the snowden " revelations" it has been clear that most country's where well aware of the spying and gave aid. Snowden said in a few interviews that Germany helped. So did England.

So in the end they just want the same as china, control the population and well that internet is a big problem.

Shrugs...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
They really wont be happy until they destroy this thing that changed
it all, they cant seem to use it enough. It must always be about whats
best for business and this is no different. They have already won too
many big battles.
Its going boys and girls, they have already decided
that.

The only reasonable response could be the destruction of the monetary
base worldwide. IE everyone cancels their internet in every form in
protest. It will never happen but that would fix it once and for all.
Let them know its on our terms or nothing.

What an effective drug this medium is, we are all so hooked....

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
An EU wide internet wouldn't really help as the NSA works in partnership with the UK's GCHQ so they'd be inside the network doing all the donkey work for the NSA so there would be no real change other than the NSA would need to make a phone call before getting the data

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I really doubt anything any country does will keep them from the NSA unless you remove that "eye in the sky".

They may say they are free from the NSA but in fact have created there own NSA like someone mentioned earlier.

There is no evading this sort of watchful eye in this day and age it will only get worse all the while they are telling you they are backing off.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

darkbake

Brazil Wants its Own Internet after NSA Controversy

I think this represents a lack of faith in American politics and intelligence agencies by the EU

Well, one might certainly fathom a lack of faith in US 'tactics.' What reason has the US given anyone lately to have more faith in them? Certainly not pissing Angela off, in hacking into her private, personal cell phone conversations.
US hoping to get some pillow talk no doubt.
If Her own citizens are fast losing faith in Her due to the multitude of sins being committed against them, why then wouldn't the EU be worried as well?

All countries do spy and collect intel, it's always been done, and always will be.
However, some day the US is going to piss off the wrong person. Maybe it was Angela? ha

In saying that, I do worry the idea of countries possibly being separated by such actions. I think it fosters somewhat of a 'cold war' type atmosphere. But how far does US 'Intelligence' think they can go before others have finally had enough? There are consequences for everyone, the US should be no exception. And if one steps outside of blind patriotism, it is easy to figure.

Here is something also to be considered from the article:

"Personal privacy is a sensitive issue in Germany where extensive surveillance was carried out under the Nazis and in communist East Germany."

Germany is quite sensitive about all things resulting from that history, which has led to much introspection as a nation, and has brought about quite healthy laws and ways of looking at things. I would love to see the US take just such a moment for this kind of introspection.
*waves the stars and stripes and sets off a few fireworks*

new topics

top topics

join