America Should Ditch the 'Presidents Day' Federal Holiday

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
A short rant ... but direct ...

America should ditch the 'Presidents Day' holiday. Back when I was a kid in the 60's, we had Lincoln's birthday and Washington's birthday. That was fine for back then. And then this country squished them together and added all the other presidents and called it 'Presidents Day'. That's just wrong ...

- We aren't supposed to have holidays over people who are alive. We still have past presidents who are alive and they shouldn't have a holiday. Since it's 'Presidents Day' ... they get counted in on the holiday. This is wrong. No living person should have a holiday or have money printed with them on it or even have a stamp with them on it (IMHO). no no no

- Presidents are no longer civil servants. They no longer are there to help Americans but instead are there to help themselves and their own interests and their own bank accounts. That's not behavior worthy of celebrating with a federal holiday.

- Every federal holiday costs taxpayers money. It's a day off with pay for federal employees and it's a day that no work gets done in federal offices. 'Presidents' aren't something worth giving a bunch of people a paid day off for.

I wish America would ditch 'Presidents Day'.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Jeez, we're worked like slaves already in America... we need every holiday we can get!

Unless you own your own business, your life is taken up by working to profit someone else... factor in sleep, hygiene, commutes... and the time left is pretty bleak.

Soon they'll be charging us for death... oh... guess they do.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Well said .. I second the motion ..
Or they can rename it puppets day as thats all they are now is puppets .. last good president was kennedy ...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Baddogma
Jeez, we're worked like slaves already in America... we need every holiday we can get!

Again ... Federal holidays are supposed to be celebrating something or marking something important.
Presidents are neither of those.
It costs a ton of money to have a federal holiday.
If there is going to be one .... it should be something worthy of celebrating.

If you want a federal holiday then celebrate something that deserves it ...

- Patriots Day
- Pioneer Day
- Volunteer Day
- Constitution Day

Something like that.

There shouldn't be a Presidents Day. And there shouldn't be a Martlin Luther King day either. Which in all honesty is really nothing more than 'black pride' day for most people. No one American should have their own federal holiday.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Relax, FF.

In a couple of years, it'll probably be changed to "Emperor Day" anyways.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

hahah nice....

we should put up a petition on that page..whos got a link to that page where if you get so many signatures the government has to respond to it?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

FlyersFan

Baddogma

Again ... Federal holidays are supposed to be celebrating something or marking something important.
Presidents are neither of those.
It costs a ton of money to have a federal holiday.
If there is going to be one .... it should be something worthy of celebrating.

If you want a federal holiday then celebrate something that deserves it ...

- Patriots Day
- Pioneer Day
- Volunteer Day
- Constitution Day

Something like that.

There shouldn't be a Presidents Day. And there shouldn't be a Martlin Luther King day either. Which in all honesty is really nothing more than 'black pride' day for most people. No one American should have their own federal holiday.
I get what you're saying but MLK was about justice and equality for ALL, not just black people.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

poloblack
I get what you're saying but MLK was about justice and equality for ALL, not just black people.

I get that ... and that's what the holiday is SUPPOSED to be about ... but for most people it has just become some kind of 'black pride' thing. Many of the average person on the street sees it that way.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Keep the day, just rename it EX-presidents day.............until you get rid of that ego driven clown, then change it back!!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I don't think it's asking too much that people have a couple things a year to cause them to think beyond American Idol and where the next box of Ding Dongs is coming from to munch while watching it.

America does have something special, however modern Presidents have worked to homogenize us into something all like a bland milk brand for the world to look alike.

Especially in the generations coming up now and where Thomas Jefferson is being all but sidelined entirely from taught history in schools (It's been a big topic in the early child development and teacher cert programs at school), kids can stand to have SOME reason to think about the fact America didn't just pop up one day like a Walmart planted with miracle gro. There was something special about those first men, IMO...and if it weren't for the legacy being taken up by downright evil men, we'd still have something really special to show for it.

Just my thoughts..

new topics
top topics

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum