It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real-life Star Trek-Themed cruise ships??? I think it would be SUPER AWESOME!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
It made me wonder after seeing this beautiful real-life yacht....

www.john-shuttleworth.com...

More images:

...Looks a lot like a Starfleet Federation Starship in the Star Trek series!

Ironically, the name "Adastra" means "to the stars" in English if I got it correctly.

www.google.com... h=965

I think the basic design could be up-scaled to cruise-ship size, with exterior and interior aesthetics conforming to Federation Starship design with a blend of modern/futuristic design principles.

The crew could be wearing uniforms similar to Starfleet officers if permissible against Maritime Laws. The ship will also be equipped with large capacitive touchscreen displays all thoughout, in all rooms, with LCARS-designed interface, using practically the same technology used in touchscreen phones and tablets.

The ship will also have bars/restaurants/recreational facilities designed to look like key sections of a Federation Starships, like engineering, astrometrics lab, science lab, medical bay/infirmary, even the bridge! Or even look like familiar places in Star Trek, like the promenade in DS9 and Ten Forward in USS Enterprise D
Some of the key sections may even be hosted by the Star Trek actors themselves if they're up to it!

The "holodeck" would feature any restaurant or bar or recreational facility or even a whole town popular in the 20th or even the 19th century. It would be the classical/retro hub of the ship for lovers of the classical era!

The ship will also feature a deck that is shielded from the bright lights of the ship. This will allow star-gazing at night and may include a dimly-lit restaurant resembling USS Enterprise's "ten forward". It allows dining, in full view of the Milky Way Galaxy's center in a moonless night, in the middle of the ocean.

Other than trying to bring "24th century" Starfleet life experience to fans, or the actors and producers themselves, the whole experience should make people feel, they are actually traveling aboard a starship across the galaxy at speeds many times the speed of light to a distant, unexplored world.

Anyone thinks this is a terrific idea? Or a terrible, totally unprofitable idea??

I think it's the closest thing we can get Star Trek to life, while we wait for the real warp drive to be invented!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I think it would be super profitable if conventions and premier 1st movie showings were done on said ships too, or a full on combination of the two, with a full community convention, all the movie & famous TV episodes playing in multiple holodek theaters on board, actor and producers commentary and signings.. a truly immersed interactive experience

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

That is effin' awesome.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
She is a beauty for sure.

Theres a lot of super rich toys coming out, like luxury submarines and such, also the mega yacht and private jumbos are getting rather insane as the mega rich realize even if they bought a bunch of them they still would have more money left than they can spend.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Truthfully I find this kind of excess spending to be simply sickening......
The luxury gets more outré and the people get more indifferent to the costs to the rest of us for their indulgences....
How many luxury yachts would it take to feed the hungry?
Heal the sick?
or right the terrible injustices which are brought about by the vast inequality of wealth?
I say theres plenty of lamp posts to hang the rich from....the wealth of the rothchilds alone would pay the debts of all the countries of the world....with change left over...
The catholic Church could drop a trillion or two in the pot as well....never mind the rest of the 1%.....
The banks could just return the trillions they have ripped the world off for since Bretton Woods maybe......
If we the people do nothing about this robbery and extortion.....then we probably do deserve what mere pittance....we get dribbled down to us....
Watching people piss their money into the coffers of the elite without hesitation makes me want to puke....
We need a lot more pertinent things than starship ocean liners....and the people need to get their priorities in order......

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Just where do you draw the line. So anyone who has over 1 Billion gets hung, perhaps hang all the millionaires?

Who makes the choice of who dies and who does not.

How about in addition to hanging all those with money, we hang all those living off welfare their whole lives because they wont work.

Will you choose who dies and who lives.

How about all the self made millionaires, hang them as well?

Yea, redistribute all the wealth as long as YOU get to make the choice. Perhaps give yourself a bonus for all that hard work of choosing who hangs! Perhaps a thousand times more than what joe average gets?

So how will you choose?

Nice yacht! I would love one! Bit expensive on fuel, let alone the staff requirements. Still, it employes people, crew, suppliers etc.

Probably keeps 30 people employed by the time you take docks and servicing into account.

P

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Who would work so hard if they knew there was a limit.

Greed has no limit and neither do the world changers at the top of any market. Cap them and we all lose more than they gain.

Its a twisted chicken and egg scenario. Unfortunately with greed comes jealousy from others who are less successful, where does one draw the line?

edit on 16-2-2014 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Yeah, it would be nice until the day a UFO comes out of the water and you are the only one on board wearing a red shirt.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

VictorVonDoom
reply to post by ahnggk

Yeah, it would be nice until the day a UFO comes out of the water and you are the only one on board wearing a red shirt.

LOL I just spat out rockstar out of my nose on that.. LMAO.. nice star for that alone...

My only problem I for see with anything of this type of endeavor is it will be EXPENSIVE and in order to recoup costs and make a profit, the tickets will be affordable for only the millionaires. It would be an awesome project to see and do but the average person will not be able to experience it.

S&F for a great idea OP.

Grim

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I'd give a Flag if I could. But this will have to do.

I see that ship and see all sorts of people involved and employed in the design, manufacture and maintenance of it. To many people seem to think only one guy did it all...so he/she must be evil and rich, which makes him/her eviller.

Of all the wealthy people I know, they are all self made. (with the exception of a couple of divorcees, they took their ex's to the bank).

Yep, if we're going to string up all the wealthy, let's also string up the welfare recipients, might as well throw the disabled in there as well. And Democrats, Republicans, Liberals, Conservatives, Jews, Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Scientists, etc, etc. Where does it stop?

If I had that kind of money though, I would have one hell of a land yacht and just cruise through life. Maybe a nice plane as well. Everywhere I went, I would be spreading the wealth. Through fuel costs, maintenance, food, medical, etc.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

stirling
Truthfully I find this kind of excess spending to be simply sickening......
The luxury gets more outré and the people get more indifferent to the costs to the rest of us for their indulgences....
How many luxury yachts would it take to feed the hungry?
Heal the sick?
or right the terrible injustices which are brought about by the vast inequality of wealth?
I say theres plenty of lamp posts to hang the rich from....the wealth of the rothchilds alone would pay the debts of all the countries of the world....with change left over...
The catholic Church could drop a trillion or two in the pot as well....never mind the rest of the 1%.....
The banks could just return the trillions they have ripped the world off for since Bretton Woods maybe......
If we the people do nothing about this robbery and extortion.....then we probably do deserve what mere pittance....we get dribbled down to us....
Watching people piss their money into the coffers of the elite without hesitation makes me want to puke....
We need a lot more pertinent things than starship ocean liners....and the people need to get their priorities in order......

I guess you'll be the only one left if you had your way. But at least you'll have your books and the time to read them.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I can see it now...quarentined in some tropical paradise for weeks with a boat load of sick Comicon/Cosplayers because some dude dressed as a Ferengi forgot to wipe his butt in Bora Bora...

-Peace-

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Grimmley

My only problem I for see with anything of this type of endeavor is it will be EXPENSIVE and in order to recoup costs and make a profit, the tickets will be affordable for only the millionaires. It would be an awesome project to see and do but the average person will not be able to experience it.

S&F for a great idea OP.

Grim

Thank you!

Actually, it doesn't need to be prohibitively expensive. Most features I've mentioned are already available in top-notch 21st century cruise ships.

It's just a change of names of the recreational/entertainment facilities, interior design, exterior layout based in the Star Trek series canon of Federation Starships.

Of course, a compromise between canon designs, modern/futuristic concepts, and real life practical considerations still have to be found.

But at the end of the day, it's just like walking with a queer-looking shoe. A queer looking shoe is not necessarily more expensive than normal looking ones

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

ahnggk

Grimmley

S&F for a great idea OP.

Grim

Thank you!

Actually, it doesn't need to be prohibitively expensive. Most features I've mentioned are already available in top-notch 21st century cruise ships.

It's just a change of names of the recreational/entertainment facilities, interior design, exterior layout based in the Star Trek series canon of Federation Starships.

Of course, a compromise between canon designs, modern/futuristic concepts, and real life practical considerations still have to be found.

But at the end of the day, it's just like walking with a queer-looking shoe. A queer looking shoe is not necessarily more expensive than normal looking ones

Aye, most of these options are for the most part available, however if you want to make the vessel itself fit this theme as you suggested a regular cruise ship will not work. Unfortunately the design of the ship and construction of the ship will be the biggest expense and investor will want a return on that quickly. Not only would the ship have to be built from the keel up, but the dry docks would have to be built and/or modified for it as well, that is where the cost will kill the plan. Now if you use a standardized cruise ship hull it would save on the majority of the start up capital, however take away from you original concept.

Still an awesome idea.

Grim

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Grimmley
Aye, most of these options are for the most part available, however if you want to make the vessel itself fit this theme as you suggested a regular cruise ship will not work. Unfortunately the design of the ship and construction of the ship will be the biggest expense and investor will want a return on that quickly. Not only would the ship have to be built from the keel up, but the dry docks would have to be built and/or modified for it as well, that is where the cost will kill the plan. Now if you use a standardized cruise ship hull it would save on the majority of the start up capital, however take away from you original concept.

Still an awesome idea.

Grim

The answer to the problem
:

www.austal.com...

Sample of their work:

www.austal.com...

www.austal.com... ategory

This is probably the most capable company to build the Trek Ship due to their unique expertise in the construction of large multi-hull vessels. With them, there is no need to build/learn everything from scratch.

Consider it also an investment to the future...

Multi-hull vessels have a number of advantages over single hulls, most important being speed, energy efficiency, and safety. They are harder to capsize, more unsinkable, lighter in weight (which results to the greater speed/efficiency) because they don't need heavy keels. Less weight=lower draft, they can enter shallower water and access more ports.

...If push comes to shove however, single hull designs are still considered and it would look like a normal cruise ship in general. After all, there are still many creative means to make a single hull look like a Federation ship from the outside!

...And however the ship looks outside, it won't affect the interior design which can still be designed to look like the canon them in the Star Trek series

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Structurally, that looks AWESOME. The price tag, I don't think I could stomach, however. But man, a few minor modifications and a paint job, and you practically have a Romulan D'deridex on water. I'd take a weekender cruise in a D'deridex!

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Nyiah
Structurally, that looks AWESOME. The price tag, I don't think I could stomach, however. But man, a few minor modifications and a paint job, and you practically have a Romulan D'deridex on water. I'd take a weekender cruise in a D'deridex!

Ironically, that's true!
I can't believe someone would love the greenish livery of Romulan ships inside and out!

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
As others said, the outside of the ship is never really the deal, if you talk to any person who frequents cruise ships. It's all about the atmosphere of the interior, amenities, service, and the food.

The downside with such a themed ship is the waning popularity of the franchise. The new movies help keep this interest up, but Trek has had some serious ups and downs that could really affect the business angle of this over the period of time.

However, a HUGE angle would be events, such as onboard conventions, weddings, etc.

Plans to make a Star Trek theme park have been in the works for years, but suffer from the same problems that would plague your ship idea. It is a neat idea, but a very difficult business model to sell to investors, especially when you consider this is someone else's intellectual property, so a large chunk is going to go to them...not the investors.

Take it from an MBA who is also a Trek fan....nice idea, but nearly an impossible business endeavor (unless one had the cash to burn themselves, and could wait a few years before seeing a return on the investment...)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This is more like a "macro-idea" and not really meant to be taken seriously but if I was going to bring only one place from the trek mythos to life for cruises, I'd choose Risa and have the boat steam circles around Thailand where those bizarre rock islands are pretty much as close to an alien paradise as you are likely to find on Earth.
Like I said...it's just a "macro-idea".

-Peace-

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Gazrok
Plans to make a Star Trek theme park have been in the works for years, but suffer from the same problems that would plague your ship idea. It is a neat idea, but a very difficult business model to sell to investors, especially when you consider this is someone else's intellectual property, so a large chunk is going to go to them...not the investors.

Bringing that intellectual property into the picture, I guess I'm gonna have to agree with you..

All is not lost however. An all-original futuristic cruise ship concept of more conventional hull layout could still be arranged. Designed to resemble a fictional, 22nd century, luxury starship inside and maybe out too of no particular similarity to any sci-fi material out there. It should still rock to Star Trek fans out there!

new topics

top topics

join