It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buddhism in the Bible.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Logarock

Akragon
reply to post by Logarock

Back to your old ways eh....

Assumptions... Lovely

and typical...

*sigh*

Apparently hoping Christians change their ways, and are capable of having a conversation without getting personal is out the window

As usual... thank God for Christians like Adjensen

edit on 16-2-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

I am not trying to be personal or hurtful but am dead serious. You want to talk about this issue I say you don't know enough about it to engage in any sort of conversation. The way you dodge and dance around counterpoints doesn't speak well of your intentions to say the least.

And yet you make it personal by assuming you know anything about me or what I might know....

Should I assume you have no clue as to how a conversation works because of our past encounters?

Of course not, I give you the benefit of the doubt until you revert to your usual tactics...

What did I dodge or dance around in this thread, or any other for that matter?

I address the topic from my perspective...

where as you revert to insulting tactics... such as assuming you know anything about me... or insinuating Budda was high and had to chill under a tree...

C'mon man... grow up a little

Im sure I've said that to you before somehow

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I am simply observing what is said here, the arguments and statements made and the supporting proof. Not trying to get personal at all.

And let me make it clear as you did concerning Paul, Buddha doesn't even deserve to be in the same conversation with Jesus simply based on the wide gulf that exists between the two. Much of the Buddha oriented comparisons with Christian teaching look more to me like trying to ring water from a dry cloth.

edit on 16-2-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Logarock
reply to post by LittleByLittle

The reasons for Jesus confronting Satan in the wilderness and Buddha having an encounter with a demon under the tree are as far removed as the north is from the south. Jesus survived His encounter to go on and secure the cross while Buddha became what? An enlightened traveling swami? Jesus spending 40 days in the wilderness had to do with issues concerning the prophets Moses and Elisha. Buddha was probably so stoned on Indus funk that he needed a good tree to rest under.

Not really since the effect in their bodies/mind/spirit would be similar regardless of the reason for their experience. Instant feeling of love and feeling happy. "Pineal gland created substance that is not allowed to be named here" naturally from a activated pineal gland is an unparallelled mood enhancer.

where as you revert to insulting tactics... such as assuming you know anything about me... or insinuating Budda was high and had to chill under a tree...

Akragon I think he was naturally high as many people experiencing spiritual energy. The bliss.

edit on 16-2-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Simple solution.... then don't get personal

have a normal conversation with another member of this forum instead of assuming...

Do you not think it would be rather insulting to someone who is a Buddhist if you told them Budda was a stoner?

I don't take your silliness personally because I've had several encounters with you on our forum...

My only mistake was to "assume" we were going to have a decent conversation without you doing what you usually do

I was wrong, but I was taught to forgive...

Perhaps you might take a lesson from your God in that sense

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Christ claimed that enlightenment was supernatural and derived from far different roads than the Buddha had it.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Jesus knowing he is on a higher level trying to raise everyone up to his level to create oneness/understanding.

No, Jesus did not try to raise us up to his level. He said," I am the way " and " Follow me "
not try to be me. No they both new their place and spoke the truth accordingly.
My respects to Buddha always. But Jesus Christ is God in flesh. No doubt.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Listen to yourself.

By the way would calling Buddha a stoner be anything even remotely similar to besmirching Paul because he was a "former Pharisee" with all the blackness that comes with that? Blackness that must have certainly remained and spilled over into everything he did or said?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Heres your quote...

Buddha was probably so stoned on Indus funk that he needed a good tree to rest under.

I give Paul all the credit he deserves... He didn't teach what Jesus taught... he contradicted Jesus...

He was a Pharisee, the group Jesus refered to as Children of the devil... and Jesus warned about False teachers, and Paul fits the profile...

In fact the only thing Paul said that was actually admirable was his stance on Love, which I do like... and give him credit for

Now where do you find Buddha being a stoner?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

LittleByLittle

Logarock

The reasons for Jesus confronting Satan in the wilderness and Buddha having an encounter with a demon under the tree are as far removed as the north is from the south. Jesus survived His encounter to go on and secure the cross while Buddha became what? An enlightened traveling swami? Jesus spending 40 days in the wilderness had to do with issues concerning the prophets Moses and Elisha. Buddha was probably so stoned on Indus funk that he needed a good tree to rest under.

Not really since the effect in their bodies/mind/spirit would be similar regardless of the reason for their experience. Instant feeling of love and feeling happy. "Pineal gland created substance that is not allowed to be named here" naturally from a activated pineal gland is an unparallelled mood enhancer.

But Jesus wasn't trying to accomplish a stimulation of the pineal gland and then some moment of deeper understand and enlightenment by starving Himself for 40 days. And where do you see love and happy feelings in this?

Now I am not saying that activation of the pineal gland wouldn't be a mood enhancer its just that Christ had to endure the mood brought on by the wilderness and fasting and then resist the temptations of using His supernatural powers to feed Himself. He was trying to overcome His power, get it under control by fasting for 40 days in crummy conditions. And frankly a piece of bread would have done the trick for a sort of pineal gland enhancement for Him at the moment of His temptation but He refrained.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

randyvs

Jesus knowing he is on a higher level trying to raise everyone up to his level to create oneness/understanding.

No, Jesus did not try to raise us up to his level. He said," I am the way " and " Follow me "
not try to be me. No they both new their place and spoke the truth accordingly.
My respects to Buddha always. But Jesus Christ is God in flesh. No doubt.

When Jesus is the door you have to pass thru then you have to follow him and become the door in behaviour. He said he was the I am and said that others where also the "I am" when they followed. If you see it from an non dualistic point and not trinity then the phrase "I and the Father are one." makes sense that Jesus is a part connected in oneness with god but still not the whole part.

It is like saying that Jesus a being that can access the whole and experience all thru that connection is still not all the parts of "the existing ONE" (Jehovah).

In this case you can think of god as the internet and Jesus as the user of the internet. Just because Jesus uses and creates things for the internet do not mean Jesus is all of the information on the internet even if he can access all information.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Akragon

Heres your quote...

Buddha was probably so stoned on Indus funk that he needed a good tree to rest under.

I give Paul all the credit he deserves... He didn't teach what Jesus taught... he contradicted Jesus...

He was a Pharisee, the group Jesus refered to as Children of the devil... and Jesus warned about False teachers, and Paul fits the profile...

In fact the only thing Paul said that was actually admirable was his stance on Love, which I do like... and give him credit for

Jesus also cast out demons from a woman who He then allowed to follow Him. Be one of the close group.

It should certainly make sense to anyone the value of a man who knew the law and the prophets so well to be converted. You want to focus on the unproven suggestion that Paul's past as a hated Pharisee continued to make him suspect even though the order tried to kill Him on several occasions. Now if the Pharisees were trying to kill Paul that certainly points to the fact that they knew Paul to be all in with The Way. Not to mention Peters endorsements.

At any rate you simply haven't made your case.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Akragon

Heres your quote...

Wow you really need to brush up on Buddha. His years of debauchery. The early years.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

And im the one who dances around questions eh...

You haven't answered a single question I've asked... at least I attempt to explain my positon

And this is not the place to be discussing my dislike for Paul in any case... Which I attempted to cut short with my conversation with Adjensen... but you choose to remain off topic...

SO lets get back on track shall we?

Can I assume everything you know about Buddhism you've learned from Christian websites?

Have you ever actually looked into the similarities between the two?

Heres a brief summery

both preached....

•Altruism
•The Golden Rule
•Don't judge others
•Love your enemies
•Overcome hate with love
•More blessed to give than to receive
•Avoid being religious for show

Obviously they are not the exact in every way, but the similarities are striking to anyone who actually looks... or anyone outside of the bias of Christian dogma...

Thus your idea that finding similarities between the two is "like trying to ring water from a dry cloth" as you stated, is not only untrue but rather ignorant...

Wow you really need to brush up on Buddha. His years of debauchery. The early years.

References to him being a stoner please
edit on 16-2-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Logarock

LittleByLittle

Logarock

But Jesus wasn't trying to accomplish a stimulation of the pineal gland and then some moment of deeper understand and enlightenment by starving Himself for 40 days. And where do you see love and happy feelings in this?

Now I am not saying that activation of the pineal gland wouldn't be a mood enhancer its just that Christ had to endure the mood brought on by the wilderness and fasting and then resist the temptations of using His supernatural powers to feed Himself. He was trying to overcome His power, get it under control by fasting for 40 days in crummy conditions. And frankly a piece of bread would have done the trick for a sort of pineal gland enhancement for Him at the moment of His temptation but He refrained.

Would not the ego battling be before the fear amygdala overload?
The fear amygdala overload->The calmness and loss of ego/desire (someone/something responding to the fear amygdala overload)->Consciousness/mind enters seek mode (can take several days)->The breakthru->The Bliss (mind can still be unwise and unknowing but have a change of perspective)->The cleanup of old cognitive mess the brain that can be activated by stimuli.

Also it would not surprise me if the whole 40 days was out of body experience.

There is no need for any previous stimulation of the pineal gland or meditation when a person goes thru amygdala fear overload.
edit on 16-2-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Simply from an academic approach to a comparison of the two......Jesus did not suffer from years of aimlessness and debauchery as Buddha did. He demonstrated His reason for being born as early as 12 years old. He demonstrated, and said as much, powers that only God could demonstrate. I will stop there for now.

Buddha was another sort of character all together. Born of privilege he became let us say disenchanted. Then he became debauched and then somewhere enlightened in a basic realities of what are the important things in life. Really doesn't sound that much different than folks I have known that take the same path and come to the same conclusions in the end. In that respect Buddha is unremarkable yet man has made a major religion out of this.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

In this case you can think of god as the internet and Jesus as the user of the internet. Just because Jesus uses and creates things for the internet do not mean Jesus is all of the information on the internet even if he can access all information.

Well I'm sorry but I see this also as being wrong. See Jesus is the
word and that means he is all the information and the internet.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

And if you can forgive Paul for his transgressions including taking part in the murder of Steven...

Why doesn't Buddha deserve the same for his previous life?

And Buddhism isn't technically a religion because it pays no respects to any God... While it does not deny God exists, that is not the ideal behind it..

Buddhism is philosophy put into reality... not religion

at least that is my opinion of it

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

randyvs

Well I'm sorry but I see this also as being wrong. See Jesus is the
word and that means he is all the information and the internet.

In that case he is also the information left by Buddha pointing to Jesus (As happened in my case) pointing back at Buddha, making me think of Buddha and Jesus as brothers in arms standing up for progress and human social evolution to something more than humanity was and still in some sense is. Work in progress.

You have your opinion I have mine. But at least we both see Jesus thru endearing eyes.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Akragon

And if you can forgive Paul for his transgressions including taking part in the murder of Steven...

Why doesn't Buddha deserve the same for his previous life?

Well you tell me considering that you came right in this thread wanting to knock Paul down a few pegs before any meaningful discussion on the rest could be had.

But to answer your question if Jesus had run into Buddha it still would have been God talking to a man and not as equals in some quest for truth.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

You have your opinion I have mine. But at least we both see Jesus thru endearing eyes. .

And Buddha as well being IMO the very best mankind has to offer.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join