It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buddhism in the Bible.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I Always figured buddhism has affinities with religion. I Always figured a religious person is somehow what you call a buddhist.

Here is a quote out of the Bible which I find to be similar to what buddhists are taught.

James 1

13 "Happy is the man that keeps on enduring trial, because on becoming approved he will receive the crown of life, which Jehovah promised to those who continue loving him. 13 When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.” For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone. 14 But each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn, sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death.'

Do you see what I mean, and you find this post to be of any value?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
When you follow buddhism you're a buddy.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by oktopus

To me Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, Rumi and Nanak explain the same thing. They where sent to say the truths in their own words. But the funny things is that it was trying to understand non duality thru Buddhism that made me notice what Jesus is pointing at the same place.

I do not follow any man made religion anymore since I find logical flaws in all of them when I really try. To much simplification of the real thing.

Now Paul is another story in the bible. From my point of view you cannot follow Jesus and Paul at the same time since they are pointing at different directions.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

LittleByLittle
reply to post by oktopus

To me Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, Rumi and Nanak explain the same thing. They where sent to say the truths in their own words. But the funny things is that it was trying to understand non duality thru Buddhism that made me notice what Jesus is pointing at the same place.

I do not follow any man made religion anymore since I find logical flaws in all of them when I really try. To much simplification of the real thing.

Now Paul is another story in the bible. From my point of view you cannot follow Jesus and Paul at the same time since they are pointing at different directions.

Quite incredibly i agree with everything you just said (and that's not like me). I have come to all of these conclusions at various times in my life.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

Can you please cite an instance of Paul conflicting Christ on a meaningful matter? I have asked various people who make the same claim in the past, and no one has ever come up with anything but things that are, when examined, not conflicting, or are superficial matters.

Chapters and verses, please -- a teaching of Christ and a teaching of Paul that are significant and are in conflict.

edit on 16-2-2014 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
...the image of Buddhism being vastly different than Christianity in that its about Compassion and Meditation whereas Christianity is more dualistic and into good vs. evil...is....false. Actual Buddhism has plenty to say on angels and demons, heaven and hell, good vs. evil. All Religions are very similar in this respect. By comparing all of these Religions, a clear picture on the nature of reality is unveiled.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Some people believe that Jesus actually taught his disciples meditation, meditation is essential to change if it is interpreted correctly as it is the only way we can change our thought process', repeatedly thinking and generating states of mind reinforces the neural pathways until they become predominant.

I am Buddhist and spent time as a monk, the thing I realised about Buddhism is the myth that there is no creator, if we look at the Adibuddha or primordial Buddha it clearly states that this is the source of everything, and with Buddha being the awakened mind its not hard to see that we are all created from the same source. The key tripping point is seeing created from a western view point.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jamjar

Who ever said mediation is hard to do?

Meditation is many times mentioned in the bible, people meditating on Gods words.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by oktopus

A great light shining unto the people living in darkness (the enlightened one)
Ezekial's chariot also bear's symbolic representation that a hidu or buddhist would see as the wheel of Dharma except there are foor, also four beasts in heaven all full of eye's in revelation. He that sit's over it would be recognized as the creator or ultimate being in hiduisma and buddhism as well.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I find it interesting that there are accounts of an Israelite that studied with the Bhuddists at around the same time as Christ's "missing years"... fascinating...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

adjensen
reply to post by LittleByLittle

Can you please cite an instance of Paul conflicting Christ on a meaningful matter? I have asked various people who make the same claim in the past, and no one has ever come up with anything but things that are, when examined, not conflicting, or are superficial matters.

Chapters and verses, please -- a teaching of Christ and a teaching of Paul that are significant and are in conflict.

edit on 16-2-2014 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

Sure I can... and we've discussed this before I believe...

What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?

2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Faith alone saves according to Paul...

Now James says this....

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Faith without works is dead faith....

Backed by Jesus....

24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

and this... more backing about those with dead faith...

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

edit on 16-2-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

That's the classic Catholic/Protestant argument, and when looked at carefully, they're essentially arguing semantics.

However, neither says that works are what save you, because that's not what saves you, Christ's atonement does. If good works were what saved you, Christ's sacrifice was unnecessary, which Paul points out, and Jesus proclaimed that his sacrifice was needed for salvation.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

Nothing about works in that statement, probably the most famous quote from the whole book. There are many others, but, no, there is no conflict between Paul, James and Jesus.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

adjensen
reply to post by Akragon

That's the classic Catholic/Protestant argument, and when looked at carefully, they're essentially arguing semantics.

However, neither says that works are what save you, because that's not what saves you, Christ's atonement does. If good works were what saved you, Christ's sacrifice was unnecessary, which Paul points out, and Jesus proclaimed that his sacrifice was needed for salvation.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

Nothing about works in that statement, probably the most famous quote from the whole book. There are many others, but, no, there is no conflict between Paul, James and Jesus.

I've been waiting for ya brother...

Keep in mind who made that quote... it wasn't Jesus, that was John that made that statement...

Here is Jesus' purpose, from his own mouth...

37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

Through out Pauls epistles he proclaims that faith is what saves and justifies a man...

Jesus does not say the same thing... His sacrifice was that he came to die, but "salvation" comes from hearing his message, understanding the meaning of it, and living it... works are a necessity, for without which faith means nothing...

John 6
63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

edit on 16-2-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

It is unlikely that John would have made that statement if it contradicted what Christ taught him. However, if you want to pick nits, there is this, which Jesus said:

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. (Mark 16:16 NIV)

In addition, you know that there are multiple places where Paul admonishes Christians to be charitable and to avoid sin, both works which reflect the teachings of Christ -- he was no "name it and claim it" Christian.

So, again, there is no fundamental conflict between Paul, James and Jesus -- salvation comes from Christ, not as a result of our good works, because if we could save ourselves by the Law, Christ was unnecessary. Jesus said that, James said that, and Paul said that.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Im just gonna have to make a thread on this one day... We'll just leave it at that, we're already off topic...

Nice chattin with ya my friend, as always

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This is my favorite Buddha-esq bible quote:

matthew 6:22 (KJV) "The light of the body is the eye, if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light."

Obviously your eye can not be single, so what I take it to mean is eye is really mind in this passage, if your mind is single, your whole body is filled with light, very similar to the Buddhist concept of one-pointed meditation.

Interestingly, other versions of the bible translate it as "if your eyes are 'healthy'..." which eliminates the metaphysical aspect as found in the King James Version.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Akragon

adjensen
reply to post by Akragon

I've been waiting for ya brother...

Keep in mind who made that quote... it wasn't Jesus, that was John that made that statement...

Here is Jesus' purpose, from his own mouth...

37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

Through out Pauls epistles he proclaims that faith is what saves and justifies a man...

Jesus does not say the same thing... His sacrifice was that he came to die, but "salvation" comes from hearing his message, understanding the meaning of it, and living it... works are a necessity, for without which faith means nothing...

We could talk about how much work represents faith all day. But Jesus did key in on faith and belief. Another thing He did was stress in so many ways that it was important that people understand and believe that He was God in the flesh and thus unlike all these other notables mentioned above. There are some very real and strong departure points from Jesus and these other notables.

I don't take exception with your understanding of the conflicts between Paul and James however. They are fairly clear and have been a matter of discussion throughout church history. To the point in fact where some have held James in contempt as a false apostle. I tend to give Paul more weight on these matters.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I have never heard the argument that James was a false apostle... On the other hand I've seen many arguments against Paul being a false apostle...

James actually knew Jesus and what he taught.... Paul didn't know Jesus, didn't meet Jesus, and didn't teach Jesus...

I think its pretty clear who had a better understanding of Jesus...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Yes I suppose its so obvious to some that Paul and James are in conflict that you could figure it not knowing that a flap already existed here and there. Martin Luther didn't think much of James. Be this as it may and as you know the problems between the two are meaningless to believers.....for any number of reasons. Paul was certainly better equipped as it were for the work of the ministry of an apostle.

However your logic is going to fail if you believe James knew Jesus personally so is the better authority. You know? I mean Judas knew Jesus very well. Peter never seemed to figure Jesus out for a good while. Jesus healed a bunch of lepers once and only two came back to thank Him.

Besides and in case you didn't know Paul claims to have had personal tutoring by Jesus for 3 years.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Yes I know all of Pauls claims... and all we have is the word of a Pharisee to rely on...

as opposed to someone who traveled with Jesus, and was taught by him...

Yet it is true that many if not most of the apostles did not understand Jesus in many cases...

the reality is, IF pauls claim was true, you would be able to read about the same teachings in Pauls written work

Which you can not... Theres no a single instance of Paul teaching what Jesus taught.... Paul had his own doctrine, which revolved around the name of Jesus... not the lessons he taught

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join