It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Cigarettes...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I have never heard of herbal cigarettes. So do you get the smoke but no nicotine?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

DeadSeraph
Just to add something as far as my own efforts to quit are concerned: I envy Americans for their ability to smoke e-cigarettes. We have vapor cigs here in Canada too, but it's illegal to have nicotine in them here, so they are practically useless thanks to our pinko commie government.

I guess that means you can't even order it from an American website and have it delivered?

How ridiculous is that???? That makes me kind of mad for you and everyone else up there. I could always send you some as a gift.

edit on 2/16/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I quit using the e-cig and an under the tongue spray stuff called smoke free that I got at the health food store. The Spray helps with cravings and the e-cig helps with the hand to mouth habit.

Electronic Cigarettes should help with the craving by themselves as they contain nicotine. Nicotine is the addictive chemical.
edit on 16-2-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

DeadSeraph
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

I feel your pain. I love smoking. I really do. I love the taste, I love the ritual, I love everything about it other than the nasty side effects. I want to quit for my daughter but I've been smoking since I was 13. Tried the patch, nicotine inhalers, and nicotine gum with no success. All I managed to accomplish was a reduction in how many cigarettes I smoked in any given day. I don't want to keep smoking because I want to be around for my little girl, but this is the worst habit I've ever kicked (and I've kicked a lot of BAD habits, believe me). Best of luck to you in your efforts to quit. I'm sure I speak for every smoker when I say I wish I'd never started.

So true. Thank you and I sincerely appreciate the support
I'm gonna do it and when I do, I'll come back to ATS and tell my experience.

I just hope it doesn't take forever

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

IMO, there lies the problem...the nicotine. For me, alcohol catapults the enjoyment. If its just a simple cigarette then normally, I can't finish a whole one and a pack lasts me at least two days. So how do I combat the nicotine addiction? Why does my brain trigger such when I'm drinking or thinking....because that's what happens with me. When I drink or write, I want to smoke.

Thanks in advance for your input.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Ya it is messy :/ I had to do it for when I drove, as that was when I wanted a cig the most.
The e cig is the way to go if you can, my old man has been smoking since he was 15, he has never been able to kick it and at one point was one the patch, some chew tablets and still would smoke one in the morning and one at night. He just uses the e cig now. I picked up a herbal replacement to help me quit as well, but you can't find that in a health store unless you live in the right state

Good luck my friend!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I think a lot of it is force of habit. Two behaviors intertwined. Smoking while driving is a big one too. When I HAD to quit (just could NOT put my fetus in that situation!) I tackled it by smoking a carrot. Yes you heard me. I carried around a bag of carrots I had cut to cig-length, and when that psychological urge started slapping me around, I'd whip out my trusty orange cig, and just go thru the motions of taking a drag, inhaling, and blowing out the smoke.

You should have seen the looks I got. But I tell ya, I found it just as satisfying as smoking a cigarette. (As an added bonus, you can eat the carrot after you've finished smoking it, which is more than you can say for a cig.) Also, smoke gets in your eyes and it's bad, while carrots are good for them!

So what's to lose? If people laugh at you, just smile and be glad you made their day!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   

IMO, there lies the problem...the nicotine.

Well that all depends on what you want to be quitting

1)Dependency of the habit
2)The harm to your body

Nicotine is highly addictive but it's not carcinogenic. It's not the deadly chemical in cigarettes. In fact isolated nicotine is used by some as a nootropic, as its effects are akin to caffeine.

So is this a concern towards finances, health, or both?

For me, alcohol catapults the enjoyment. If its just a simple cigarette then normally, I can't finish a whole one and a pack lasts me at least two days. So how do I combat the nicotine addiction?

I think you answered the question
It's the booze! Has the exact same effect on me. When I drink I smoke much more. Not sure… might be some kinda of synergistic relationship between MAOIs in cigs and dopamine effects of the booze. That's just totally speculative on my part.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I experimented with cigarettes for a couple of months when I was in high school. I couldn't handle the smell of the smoke nor the light headedness it gave me. Cigarette smoking was the "cool" and grown-up thing to do back in the day. I think being addicted to nicotine is almost like some people who become alcoholics. It seems like if you have a parent that smokes or drinks, there is a tendency that your body will crave the same habit.

I'm just glad I never picked up either habit.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I've been trying to quit for years. For me I smoke when I'm driving, when I drink or when I'm bored/stressed. It's more of a comfort I guess. I especially like smoking and drinking coffee. It definitely helps when you have to poop. Go figure.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   

ThePublicEnemyNo1

Wow! I would consider myself a very disciplined human...except, for when I smoke. All discipline goes out the window

It's so frustrating!

I went to Egypt for a month and a half...I just started smoking prior to mu departure. When, I was there, not one cigarette nor the urge. When I came back, America woke me up and reminded me that I was back home and now it's time to worry again about everything.

Here's the funny part, I'm not so worried 12 years later?..but I'm all in for a smoke. There's got to be some psychological platform that I can identify with to quit. Discipline hasn't worked so far...but, I'll continue to utilize "discipline" in my quest to quit.

Mind over Matter, right?

I remember it wasn't actually discipline which helped me pull through well maybe a little but it was the anticipation of a change, i wanted to leave that part of me behind because i had learned to associate smoking with with a sort of bad time in my growing up.

In all honesty if i can say i really enjoyed smoking maybe it was the nicotine or maybe its becasue i liked seeing smoke come out of my mouth or maybe it was the thing to turn to when i was bored i genuinely enjoyed smoking as a past time as unhealthy as it was .

I say out with discipline and in with the anticipation of a change even though it might not seem as glamorous or fun on the non smokers side.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by Akragon

I have never heard of herbal cigarettes. So do you get the smoke but no nicotine?

You got it buddy... You're still smoking, just no nicotine...

Its like buckleys... its bloody nasty but it works

edit on 16-2-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy

IMO, there lies the problem...the nicotine.

Well that all depends on what you want to be quitting

1)Dependency of the habit
2)The harm to your body

Nicotine is highly addictive but it's not carcinogenic. It's not the deadly chemical in cigarettes. In fact isolated nicotine is used by some as a nootropic, as its effects are akin to caffeine.

So is this a concern towards finances, health, or both?

For me, alcohol catapults the enjoyment. If its just a simple cigarette then normally, I can't finish a whole one and a pack lasts me at least two days. So how do I combat the nicotine addiction?

I think you answered the question
It's the booze! Has the exact same effect on me. When I drink I smoke much more. Not sure… might be some kinda of synergistic relationship between MAOIs in cigs and dopamine effects of the booze. That's just totally speculative on my part.

Man oh man, you helped tap the nail in on this one! First, let me say that it's a health issue. It doesn't hurt my pocket or finances. I think that makes it psychologically ok for me somehow. But health wise yes, I want to quit. So you're telling me nicotine is not carcinogenic? If that's the case...why should I stop, especially since I smoke American Spirit Full Bodied taste?

As stated already, when I drink I smoke like a fish filtering water through its gills. Now, I'm confused. If the actual tobacco itself contains no carcinogens (which is what I am worried about) then, I should be okay as long as I'm smoking a natural brand. Right?

So confused...now you got me on a whole other "trying to find an excuse not to stop" tangent. I'm not blaming you and i take full responsibility for my smoker behavior? But, if tobacco isn't carcinogenic, then I'm okay as long as its natural...right?

My great uncle born in 1900 died in 2001. He smoked Salem 100's and cigars everyday...look how long he lived!

edit on 2/16/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Don't fool yourself man... smoking isn't good...

Nicotine isn't what causes cancer its the rest of the Sh#t that tobacco smoke has in it...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

WeRpeons
I experimented with cigarettes for a couple of months when I was in high school. I couldn't handle the smell of the smoke nor the light headedness it gave me. Cigarette smoking was the "cool" and grown-up thing to do back in the day. I think being addicted to nicotine is almost like some people who become alcoholics. It seems like if you have a parent that smokes or drinks, there is a tendency that your body will crave the same habit.

I'm just glad I never picked up either habit.

Hmmm. I wonder if you're right about the parental influence part. My Dad smoked like a fool. He's dead now....but, not from lung cancer. He died from the agent orange that got sprayed on him in Vietnam back when I was a kid. My Dad used to ask me to go light his cigarette for him. I would go to the stove and light it...never inhaling because I thought it was weird but look who's talking now! Maybe you're right about the pre exposure factors.

This is the thorn in my side and I'm glad you didn't develop a habit...you're certainly stronger than me.

That's for sure

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

ThePublicEnemyNo1
Makes no sense to many, right? However, to some it does and why? I admit, I need to quit. But, why is it that when I'm writing or drinking wine, I want the smoke?

My brand of choice is American Spirits and I love them. I just switched from Camel Wides because they taste like crap. But I want to quit...but how?

Why does one behavior seem to go along with another? Is it personal perception of gratification?

I need help quitting!!!
edit on 2/15/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

I'm from the country and a hard working woman. I am beautiful by any respect but I grew up in the dirty, dirty south. Dirt on my hands, muscles on my arms, tobacco in my mouth.

I have chewed tobacco, smoked cigars, and smoked cigs.

You probably don't need any advice but mine is this: just to get over it. Tobacco is highly addictive and an upper.

Don't smoke it. Don't chew it.

edit on 16-2-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Never chewed it...don't even want to try that one as it just seems nasty and reminds me of brown stained teeth. I own my own business and its labor intense and yes I work side by side with my employees at least 3 out of 5 days. However, the more I work physically, the less I smoke.

I need to figure out how to combat this, because I really want to quit...but IT'S HARD!!!

Thank you all for your input...I'm sincerely going to try to quit

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

What's Buckleys?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   

ThePublicEnemyNo1

Never chewed it...don't even want to try that one as it just seems nasty and reminds me of brown stained teeth. I own my own business and its labor intense and yes I work side by side with my employees at least 3 out of 5 days. However, the more I work physically, the less I smoke.

I need to figure out how to combat this, because I really want to quit...but IT'S HARD!!!

Thank you all for your input...I'm sincerely going to try to quit

I have perfect teeth because I don't abuse these pearly gems.

Your business is labor intensive and you smoke when you drink.

The more you work physically the less you smoke...

You will combat this by realizing tobacco is a horrible drug. It will ruin your teeth, lungs, and mentality.

Just let it go.

Best way? Lose the booze.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Thank you for being blunt...I needed that. Your comment brought me to a moment of reflection. I like to drink, hence I like to smoke. I can smoke and not drink but I can not drink and not smoke. Thank you agin.

ATS is so incredibly full of...wisdom, experiences and the advice is priceless. I will owe my non smoking title to all of you here.

Thank you so much for your support and honesty 👍😄👍 it's so incredibly appreciated.

ETA
I love you guys always....tomorrow however, I may be your conscience barking at you on another subject. However, thank you from the bottom of my heart 💝 I will never forget this support.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join