Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Smoking Cigarettes...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Makes no sense to many, right? However, to some it does and why? I admit, I need to quit. But, why is it that when I'm writing or drinking wine, I want the smoke?

My brand of choice is American Spirits and I love them. I just switched from Camel Wides because they taste like crap. But I want to quit...but how?

Why does one behavior seem to go along with another? Is it personal perception of gratification?

I need help quitting!!!
edit on 2/15/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
ETA - Glad you came back. I have been smoke free for 9 months after smoking for over 20 years. I started vaping and then stepped down my nicotine to 0 after a while. It is the hardest thing I have ever had to do (habit wise). I wish I had never started. I STILL want a cigarette on occasion, and I know folks who have been quit for 30 years, and they still feel the urge at times as well. I think it is a life long addiction in that sense.

You get used to smoking after or during certain events. I smoked a ton while on ATS before I quit. It was just something to do while I was reading. It's part of the habit and it is just as hard to give up as the drug itself IMO.

All smokers know how bad it is. All smokers are aware of how silly it is to do something that is so bad for you.... it is just so hard to quit.

You can do it. You have to want it bad enough to work for it.
edit on 2/15/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)
edit on 2/16/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I'm totally for...but I want to quit! It's like so many other drugs or addictive behaviors..."If you know the risk involved and are willing to take your chances, then go for it".

I want to quit smoking, but I don't want to quit drinking. The more I drink, the more I smoke. When I'm not drinking,a pack of cigs will last me three days. Whilst drinking, it's like hours because I chain smoke.

WTH???

ETA
By the way, you have plenty of stars

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Chew sunflower seeds, that helped me a lot. Keeps your mouth and mind busy, and you get good at splitting shells. You might get a raw check or two tho

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I quit using the e-cig and an under the tongue spray stuff called smoke free that I got at the health food store. The Spray helps with cravings and the e-cig helps with the hand to mouth habit. Worked like a charm for me. 1 year and a few months for me.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

ThePublicEnemyNo1

I'm totally for...but I want to quit! It's like so many other drugs or addictive behaviors..."If you know the risk involved and are willing to take your chances, then go for it".

I want to quit smoking, but I don't want to quit drinking. The more I drink, the more I smoke. When I'm not drinking a pack of cigs, last me three days. Whilst drinking, it's like hours because I chain smoke.

WTH???

ETA
By the way, you have plenty of stars

I was teasing about the stars.

I was busy replying above and didn't see this until after I posted. The drinking thing did me in, in my younger days. If I wanted to smoke 2 packs in an hour... I just had to drink a little bit. Pain pills during a back injury, same thing. It makes you crave it for sure. I haven't drank in ages, so I am not sure how hard it would be to still drink, but not smoke. I imagine pretty damned hard.

Like I said above... You can do it. I never thought I could, but I plan to stick with it. It's worth it.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
You might want to try a E Cig.....they are vapour rigs that give you nicotine and water vapour and they come in every flavour even tobacco....
Cost 40 t0 120 bucks...plus ten bucks a jar for the filler.....(lasts much longer than several packs of cigs...)
I cut to 50 % cigarette consumption in a week or so....I just "vape now, instead.....
my favourite flavour is peach......and cigs taste #ty compared to it....but I still get me "ole nick" from the vapour and its like smoking...
Plus I can vape anywhere atall.......

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Nicotine is more addictive then heroin...

The only way to quit is to get the nicotine out of your system completely... patches don't work, nor does nicotine gum because you're still consuming the drug...

Go to an herbal store if you know where one is, find yourself some herbal cigarettes and smoke those instead...

the first three or four days is tough, but the herbal smokes remind you how disgusting the habit really is...

And a hangover on the first day quitting helps... but unfortunately you CAN NOT QUIT if you don't want it...

I smoke, but I quit for 4 years... then went though a divorce so... what can ya do...

but this works... at least it did for me...

edit on 15-2-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

My husband chews pumpkin seeds and its so incredibly annoying. We run a warehouse and when he's there you'll see a slew of seeds all over the floor. Then I'm sweeping them up...so annoying. He's a smoker too, so that makes it a tad bit more difficult.

I've tried staying busier than ever...the busier I am, the more I smoke. I have a wonderful juicer...it's called a Norwalk Juicer. I think I might try some green juices. Boy, I hate that stuff, but I hear it works wonders for smokers!

Thanks for the advice

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Thanks...I've been thinking that I may need to lay off the bottle of Merlot on Friday's. On Saturday's, which it still is in California (currently) I may have two glasses...but dam...here comes the massive more than a pack a night!

That's insane to me on Sunday when I wake up to have coffee and no cigarettes because I smoked them all on Saturday night!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I feel your pain. I love smoking. I really do. I love the taste, I love the ritual, I love everything about it other than the nasty side effects. I want to quit for my daughter but I've been smoking since I was 13. Tried the patch, nicotine inhalers, and nicotine gum with no success. All I managed to accomplish was a reduction in how many cigarettes I smoked in any given day. I don't want to keep smoking because I want to be around for my little girl, but this is the worst habit I've ever kicked (and I've kicked a lot of BAD habits, believe me). Best of luck to you in your efforts to quit. I'm sure I speak for every smoker when I say I wish I'd never started.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

stirling
You might want to try a E Cig.....they are vapour rigs that give you nicotine and water vapour and they come in every flavour even tobacco....
Cost 40 t0 120 bucks...plus ten bucks a jar for the filler.....(lasts much longer than several packs of cigs...)
I cut to 50 % cigarette consumption in a week or so....I just "vape now, instead.....
my favourite flavour is peach......and cigs taste #ty compared to it....but I still get me "ole nick" from the vapour and its like smoking...
Plus I can vape anywhere atall.......

So, my husbands birthday is on Valentines day and our 22 year old daughter got him one of those e cigs for his birthday. He tried it on the patio of the restaurant we are at and he said he didn't like it. Then again, he's been smoking since he was 15. I didn't start smoking until I had all my children and even at that, it started as an experiment so I could figure out why my husband couldn't stop smoking. I've been hooked for ten years now and it's annoying me at this point.

Oh well...I got hooked! But, I'll try the e cig. Thank you for the advice.
edit on 2/16/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Akragon

Nicotine is more addictive then heroin...

The only way to quit is to get the nicotine out of your system completely... patches don't work, nor does nicotine gum because you're still consuming the drug...

Go to an herbal store if you know where one is, find yourself some herbal cigarettes and smoke those instead...

the first three or four days is tough, but the herbal smokes remind you how disgusting the habit really is...

And a hangover on the first day quitting helps... but unfortunately you CAN NOT QUIT if you don't want it...

I smoke, but I quit for 4 years... then went though a divorce so... what can ya do...

but this works... at least it did for me...

edit on 15-2-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

Thank you...that was very insightful and wise. I do want to quit smoking, but not drinking. I'm not an alcoholic, but I enjoy my weekends. The drinking for me seems to increase the smoking habit.

Maybe, I'll try burying my head in the sand

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
"The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Alan Carr.

Seriously. It works. You can buy the Kindle version Amazon for cheap.

It. Works.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I was a smoker from the age of 16 till i was about 23. I quit by one day just choosing to say no. No can be the hardest thing to say. Just to test my resilience almost every year since then i have bought a packet of cigarettes and smoked a few then thrown the rest away.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

soul44
I was a smoker from the age of 16 till i was about 23. I quit by one day just choosing to say no. No can be the hardest thing to say. Just to test my resilience almost every year since then i have bought a packet of cigarettes and smoked a few then thrown the rest away.

Wow! I would consider myself a very disciplined human...except, for when I smoke. All discipline goes out the window

It's so frustrating!

I went to Egypt for a month and a half...I just started smoking prior to mu departure. When, I was there, not one cigarette nor the urge. When I came back, America woke me up and reminded me that I was back home and now it's time to worry again about everything.

Here's the funny part, I'm not so worried 12 years later?..but I'm all in for a smoke. There's got to be some psychological platform that I can identify with to quit. Discipline hasn't worked so far...but, I'll continue to utilize "discipline" in my quest to quit.

Mind over Matter, right?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

ThePublicEnemyNo1

Thanks...I've been thinking that I may need to lay off the bottle of Merlot on Friday's. On Saturday's, which it still is in California (currently) I may have two glasses...but dam...here comes the massive more than a pack a night!

That's insane to me on Sunday when I wake up to have coffee and no cigarettes because I smoked them all on Saturday night!

That was me. I would wake up and not be able to take a deep breath without wincing at the tightness in my chest after chain smoking for hours. You think to yourself, how stupid can you be? It's hard. I loved it though. I didn't love the side affects. I got pneumonia a few years back and wound up in ICU for 8 days. I would go down and smoke at the front doors with my IV pole.... Why would I even admit to that? Because that is how ridiculous the addiction is. When I left the hospital, I left with a diagnosis of COPD at 30 years old. I still smoked. I only decided to quit, when my husband's breathing got so bad he was passing out when he coughed. They told him (also a smoker) that he would be on oxygen before he was 40 if he didn't do something. I laid in bed, listening to him cough and thought what a complete dumb ass I must be. That morning I got serious about it.

Do check into the ecigs. I am not sure I would have been able to stick with it at first if I didn't have the "physical" aspect of smoking "something". I tried patches, gum, wellbutrin, etc. None of it worked like the ecigs. You will still have to work through it, but it makes your success rate much higher I think.

Don't beat yourself up about it. We've all been there. FWIW, it took about a week and I could feel a huge difference in my breathing, and over all health. I am still noticing it getting better all the time. It's never too late. If you fail... try, try again!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Just to add something as far as my own efforts to quit are concerned: I envy Americans for their ability to smoke e-cigarettes. We have vapor cigs here in Canada too, but it's illegal to have nicotine in them here, so they are practically useless thanks to our pinko commie government.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   

What a Gem you are! Thank you for the encouragement and believe you me, I will try! Your story is a sincere wake up call however. I don't take your experiences lightly. I know I have a battle, but I will try to fight the urge.

My husband tried the Wellbuterin (or whatever it's called) and he said he didn't like it. I know this sounds silly, but I'm one of those people that check on the publics prior experience to see the ratio of "go's and no go's". While that drug (which I despise pills) didn't work out for him, it's possible it may work for me.

I'll try what you advised and see if it pans out...I'll try the E Cig. Again, thank you.

You're an Angel
edit on 2/16/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
This is so therapeutic and thank you all on ATS for contributing. I don't feel so alone anymore regarding smoking and wanting to quit .

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join