It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Possible radiological event' investigated at New Mexico's nuclear waste repository

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

The US Department of Energy is monitoring for a "possible radiological event" at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant in New Mexico's nuclear waste repository. Officials have been called in after an air monitor detected radiation in the facility’s underground levels late Friday night, when no employees were on shift. Workers on the surface have been sheltered in place as a precaution.

rt.com...

interesting I wonder what the problem is? Maybe containment failure?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

heh heh, you beat me to it by a minute. I was going to post about this as well, however, I will add to this thread. This is is scary because I don't live too far from this site (within 50-60 miles). I hope there is nothing to worry about, but it is concerning as there was a problem last week there pertaining to a truck that caught on fire underground.

www.abqjournal.com...

and here is a link to the story about the leak.

www.currentargus.com...

These are radionuclides that are of a hazard if inhaled but it is not the kind of radiation that penetrates, and so the primary concern for the release of this nature is (through) the ventilation passageway and that's why our employees are sequestered in place," said Roger Nelson, a Department of Energy spokesman. WIPP stores waste that primarily radiates alpha and beta-type radiation, according to Nelson. "I can't tell you the amount or level but they were elevated and above normal, above background (levels)," Nelson said of the radiation that was detected airborne near Panel 7, Room 7, in the south salt mine.

well, perhaps everything is ok, but I naturally have a suspicious mind and wonder if they would really tell us what was going on there. Anyway, I hope everything is ok, and everyone involved is safe and sound.

ETA - it kind of irks me in that corporations and the government thinks that just because this area is not very populated that they can just come in and make this their dumping ground. A few years back, they were going to build a "scientific research city" not to far from here and make it a state of the art project, complete with the latest technology. However, that fell through and it was decided that another part of the state would be a better place.

www.bizjournals.com...

Granted, these things are unrelated, I just wanted to add that little tidbit of information.
edit on 15-2-2014 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

join