It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA From Genetically Modified Crops Are Transferred Into Humans Who Eat Them

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It is evident that we are being fed GM foods without the science to back up their safety. It is now known that DNA fragments from plants can enter the human blood stream via the gut.

There are studies that suggest that different species can under certain conditions share genes. We are being fed food substances that may have the ability to alter our DNA and the consequence of these actions is unknown

In a new study published in the peer reviewed Public Library of Science (PLOS), researchers emphasize that there is sufficient evidence that meal-derived DNA fragments carry complete genes that can enter into the human circulation system through an unknown mechanism

The study was based on the analysis of over 1000 human samples from four independent studies. PLOS is an open access, well respected peer-reviewed scientific journal that covers primary research from disciplines within science and medicine. It’s great to see this study published in it, confirming what many have been suspecting for years.

naturalrevolution.org...

edit on 15-2-2014 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I believe that the sourced article is misleading;

From the report I only found one mention on GMO's and that is as follows

Food.

DNA from consumed food is usually not considered as a possible source of cfDNA since during food digestion all macromolecules are thought to be degraded to elementary constituents such as amino acids and nucleotides, which are then transferred to the circulatory system through several complex active processes [3]. Though, there are animal studies, mainly focusing on the GMO issue [4], supporting the idea that small fragments of nucleic acids may pass to the bloodstream and even get into various tissues. For example foreign DNA fragments were detected by PCR based techniques in the digestive tract and leukocytes of rainbow trouts fed by genetically modified soybean [37], and other studies report similar results in goats [38], pigs [39], [40] and mice [5].

The abstract says this;

Our bloodstream is considered to be an environment well separated from the outside world and the digestive tract. According to the standard paradigm large macromolecules consumed with food cannot pass directly to the circulatory system. During digestion proteins and DNA are thought to be degraded into small constituents, amino acids and nucleic acids, respectively, and then absorbed by a complex active process and distributed to various parts of the body through the circulation system. Here, based on the analysis of over 1000 human samples from four independent studies, we report evidence that meal-derived DNA fragments which are large enough to carry complete genes can avoid degradation and through an unknown mechanism enter the human circulation system. In one of the blood samples the relative concentration of plant DNA is higher than the human DNA. The plant DNA concentration shows a surprisingly precise log-normal distribution in the plasma samples while non-plasma (cord blood) control sample was found to be free of plant DNA.

And they conclude like this;

Conclusion

The analysis of all the publicly available circulating cell-free DNA sequencing data of over 1000 human subjects confirms our hypothesis that the presence of foreign DNA in human plasma is not unusual. It shows large variation from subject to subject following strikingly well a log-normal distribution with the highest concentration in patients with inflammation (Kawasaki disease, IBD). These findings could lead to a revision of our view of degradation and absorption mechanisms of nucleic acids in the human body.

From the PLOS Paper

This looks like a fine example of bending facts and blatant mis-understanding I would think the amount of times they use the acronym GMO in the article should at least be reflected in their supported scientific peer reviewed science, which it is not.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

While it's certainly a question that should be addressed and looked into, one study does not a conviction make.

More studies will need be conducted to filter any potential observation bias, confirm replicability and investigate the mechanism by which the claim is occurring if indeed such is occurring.

Additionally, please answer this; are there any studies that investigate the very same occurring with entirely natural food consumption?
If not, then, there needs be that control entered into question.

edit on 2/15/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

Thank you for your reply. It what way do you find it misleading. It says that the DNA from GMO can enter our bloodstreams through a unknown mechanism.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Because the PLOS research used to push the article as fact is not research into GMO exclusively it is only mentioned once in the actual report hell that paper is actually titled like this

Complete Genes May Pass from Food to Human Blood

I believe the point of the research is in regards to ALL food not exclusively to GMO as the linked article in the OP suggests. This is why I find it misleading.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

It's pretty scary actually.
I think I'll stop eating carrots. All that carrot DNA might make me turn into one.

The analysis of all the publicly available circulating cell-free DNA sequencing data of over 1000 human subjects confirms our hypothesis that the presence of foreign DNA in human plasma is not unusual.

www.plosone.org...

edit on 2/15/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I got the same thing as Brotherman from the article.

While I am not a fan of GMO foods, I dislike bias for the sake of bias.

The study says that, varying widely from subject to subject, some DNA from food consumed can find its way into the bloodstream. Both Natural and GMO.

It does not differentiate a likelihood between the two, or what happens to it once its there. It's not even sure how it gets there.

More research needs to be conducted.

reply to post by Phage

Indeed, I might be Scottish by now considering all the whiskey.
edit on 15-2-2014 by watchitburn because: Scotch

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hell I quit eating carrots years ago when I discovered Sam Adams I'm glad to hear that you will also be boycotting them nasty little orange things!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Digestive system

Food is our fuel, and its nutrients give our bodies' cells the energy and substances they need to operate. But before food can do that, it must be digested into small pieces the body can absorb and use.

eye luv carrots

The notion that eating carrots improves eyesight sounds like a story your mother made up to get you to eat your vegetables. But is there any truth to it? According to Duke ophthalmologist Jill Koury, MD, there is a connection between eating carrots and maintaining good eyesight.

edit on (2/15/1414 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think I'll stop eating carrots. All that carrot DNA might make me turn into one.

It is certainly possible that bastardised DNA sequences that our bodies are not use could react badly with our bodies. The presumption use to be that this stuff did not pass into our blood stream. We now know it does..

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Yeah. Getting into the blood stream and getting into the genome are two completely different things.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

It is certainly possible that bastardised DNA sequences that our bodies are not use could react badly with our bodies.
I don't know about "certainly" but I suppose it's possible.
But what do you think it is that is so different about "bastardized" DNA fragments though? Why would they be more dangerous than say, DNA fragments from a durian fruit? I've never eaten a durian. My body isn't "used to" durian DNA fragments.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tusks

It is know that genes can move between species some of the methods are still unknown..

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I don't know about "certainly" but I suppose it's possible.
But what do you think it is that is so different about "bastardized" DNA fragments though? Why would they be more dangerous than say, DNA fragments from a durian fruit? I've never eaten a durian. My body isn't "used to" durian DNA fragments.

The difference is that nature follows its own patterns and order. Things have evolved over time following natures protocol. If we work outside that remit then we tinkering with something we have very little understanding.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

The difference is that nature follows its own patterns and order.
But that does not explain why GM genes can be more dangerous than natural mutations which are part of that "order". You mentioned lateral gene transfer. Why think that it is more likely to occur with GM genes than natural genes? Why think that it if does happen, it would be more harmful?

If we work outside that remit then we tinkering with something we have very little understanding.
If we didn't "work outside" nature we would still be as small bands of people living in caves. Afraid of the night.

edit on 2/15/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Phage

RUN!

It's already happened:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

Danger Will Robinson!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No it does not explain why they could be more dangerous. Just a point that they might be and if that is the case it is a risk not worth taking until we understand such things better. We are potentially interfering with the programming of our bodies that is a risk and in such fundamental matters i feel it is best to be precautionary.

It is not really a question of working outside nature. We need to pay more attention to how nature works and simulate within that remit. I do not have a problem with science some of the holistic sciences are trying to address the issue. I do however have problem with how we decide to use science. Science and technology are good at solving some of our problems but often case it is the science and technology that have caused them in the first case.

We do not need to rely on GMO to feed the world nature provides ample. There is an abundance of food in the world. Food poverty in the world usually comes down to resource allocation.

It is about the relationships we have with each other and our biosphere. We have choices about how things are done and things can be done better..

edit on 15-2-2014 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hahahahahah!! hehehehe!!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
This is actually very interesting. I have debated with scientists before who were adamant that DNA was destroyed un the digestive tract, therefore we only absorbed proteins, minerals etc directly from food into the bloodstream.

The point this article la making is that if it's now proven that DNA from all food makes it into the bloodstream, what are the implications off genetically modified DNA making it through? It has to be understood that non gmo DNA would be relatively harmless as the human body has been exposed to whatever is in out food for as long as have humankind had been eating it.

However, GMO DNA comes from places like scorpions in tomatoes and scorpions are not usually on our menu.

The next study that needs to happen in one on whether the DNA passes into our bloodstream actually does anything, or whether it it's simply inert.

edit on 15-2-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join