It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People misunderstand Non-Duality, let's clear up any confusion here...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Non-Duality is Oneness, Wholeness, and Unity. Duality is splitting everything into Two. The Two represents opposites.

A person can say there is "hot" and there is "cold" and therefore duality is true. A person can also say "hot" and "cold" are both just "temperature" so they are one, and they would also be correct. There is no fight between duality and non-duality, because non-duality is oneness, that means even duality is included within it. To say it in another way, Because everything is included, even exclusion is a part of the inclusion. It is all connected together.

Seeing from Wholeness (Non-Duality) does NOT mean you just allow anything to happen, but what it DOES mean is that whether or not you allow something to happen, you know that reality is WHOLE and all is well.

Non-Duality is not about doing anything. Non-duality is about realizing that Reality is ONE, reality is WHOLE. The way each person actually functions in the world, will be unique to that individual just like no wave of the ocean is exactly the same, but at the same time, it is the same since it is all water.

Trying to "get rid" of desire, is another splitting of reality that says: not having desire is "good" and having desire is "bad". That in itself is another duality. The meaning behind "getting rid of desire" is realizing that "desire" is what makes you categorize things into "wanted" and "unwanted" and causes a person to forget that reality is Whole and it was the mind that was splitting it apart (and even that is ok, there is no battle here).

It isn't about trying to kill the soul, mind, or individuality, just about being able to see beyond it.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Maybe I am just tired. My reaction is
hogwash.

Applying this definition, just means that everyone has non dual thought or awareness.

Anyone aware of hot, is aware of temperature.
Anyone aware of cold, is aware of temperature.
If they are aware of one, they are aware of the other too
(things gain such a distinction through contrast)
which means they are aware of the whole.

They just may be focusing on one side of the whole or the other at any given point in time or space.

I have seen people with claims of non-dual awareness say they themself do not exist,
say there is no cold, no hot. They deny the variations of experience within the whole.
Apparently, for some people, they find focusing on any part of the whole at any time, means you have separated it.

Like if i look closely at a leaf, I will cease to be aware of the tree.
Whatever.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Non duality in progression means you're moving up and learning to stand still, go within, meditate and overcome the opposite gravity forces, and the tempations. You might decide to give into the body program telling you that a wonderful spot of ice cream would go down good just about now, and some of the duality issues are not charged with harming others, they're not all negative things. But non duality really implies Free Will and choice. You can choose to have the ice cream though you were on a diet, and then you have to choose again to limit this to a once or twice a week treat or a breach of the diet and go further, into eating poorly every day again. Its about free will, and not just being buffetted by whats around you or giving into the negativity around you. But finding peace, and overcoming that which you can, to move up beyond this kind of realm. It doesnt always mean you choose to walk by the ice cream however. Hopefully it does mean you choose to overcome any tendencies to directly harm others.

So non duality to me means, you don't just live on auto pilot, firing off the reactions your body suit gives you to, but pay attention to your reactions, even write them down if necessary, and meditate and work out strategies to remain calm and neutral, to listen to the various signals but able to choose how to respond. ie FREE WILL.
edit on 15-2-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
What about triality? Things which happen, or representations of "one," in three parts?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Q33323
What about triality? Things which happen, or representations of "one," in three parts?

I feel like thats kind of what is being pointed at in the OP.

We have the two boundaries of the spectrum, and the spectrum itself. All three are important for how exactly that wave of water will manifest.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

E Pluribus Unum?

womb

3. a place where something is conceived: the Near East is the womb of western civilization.

One is all?
edit on (2/15/1414 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

thank you for mentioning about desire!

it's a good lesson for me

peace

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Everything is dualistic in nature.

Fire: It can heathen you up when it is very cold, it can transform yourself into ashes.
Water: you can wash yourself with it, it kills you if you drown in it.
Earth: brings forth living plants, is able to choke somebody/holds no air.
A knife: spread butter with it, it can cut your arm of.

Everything is good and bad in nature.

That's duality imo.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The world is dualistic in nature. To ascend above duality is to become of the Spirit.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Q33323

Squirrel Moment (meaing Iz seen a squirrel an am gonna chase it....)

Actually I have heard (from a PHd friend and physics teacher) that there is a guy in Russia working on Tripartate Logic. Rather then just True and False, there is a third option. I've never seen anything on it but it does make a certain sense physically. Spiritually, who knows.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

oktopus
Everything is dualistic in nature.

Fire: It can heathen you up when it is very cold, it can transform yourself into ashes.
Water: you can wash yourself with it, it kills you if you drown in it.
Earth: brings forth living plants, is able to choke somebody/holds no air.
A knife: spread butter with it, it can cut your arm of.

Everything is good and bad in nature.

That's duality imo.

All of those things can be used for or do more than just two things.

The reason these is no duality is because everything is subjective. When does hot stop becoming hot and become neutral or cold? Keep in mind, considering how hot some bodies in the universe get, every temperature we could possibly experience here on Earth (even the deadly ones) could be considered cold.

The economic concept of margins kind of defeats the idea of duality. How many more increments do I have to add to concept A to change it into concept B? Since concept A and concept B can be shown to incrementally gain aspects of the other concept, then what does it mean to be concept A or concept B? That is just a simplistic version as well. Keep in mind that humans like to keep things simple, there are many variables at work to create the universe in the present. By willingly saying that only two states could exist for a particular instance of what is going on at that small part of the universe is to discount infinitely more variables occurring as well.

ETA: This is why it is impossible to ever build a fully functioning computer A.I. with binary computer logic. Also forget making a simulation of a real universe. Quantum computing may solve this, but we'll see.
edit on 15-2-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Non-duality is about realizing that Reality is ONE, reality is WHOLE.

It's more about conceptualizing that reality is one, not necessarily realizing it. For instance we can say humanity is one, when it is an overarching umbrella conception about a grouping of many ones. When we cannot define the boundary of something, it is impossible to call it one.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Aphorism
reply to post by arpgme

Non-duality is about realizing that Reality is ONE, reality is WHOLE.

It's more about conceptualizing that reality is one, not necessarily realizing it. For instance we can say humanity is one, when it is an overarching umbrella conception about a grouping of many ones. When we cannot define the boundary of something, it is impossible to call it one.

Well if you look at everything as a sub-set of a larger thing, then eventually it reasons there is an over-arching set containing all sub-sets. You could say that this set is one. This one would have to contain more than just the universe though. Therefore everything we experience and visualize are just smaller parts of that one in a different state but similar enough to another state that we could label them as part of a sub-set of the one.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Duality is everything you see, hear, taste, touch and smell. It is ONLY a perception, not a reality. Without duality there would be NO perception of existence, no experience and no thought. Duality is not your enemy, it is the instrument through which you experience.

Thought is duality. Mind is duality actually. the 5 senses operate on the basis of duality.

There is NO such thing as a non dualistic mind. NO such thing as a non-dualistic existence. Perception, in ALL the realms, can not be without duality. Duality isn't your enemy, its a gift that allows you to experience existence in all its' permutations.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

Your post used the word duality a lot but you didn't exactly explain anything about duality. Frankly I fail to see how our senses work with duality. The way I've been taught, our senses are always operational, our brain may not be focusing on the incoming information from those senses all the time. I mean does our brain need to constantly remind us what spit tastes like? Of course not. Up until you read that sentence you probably weren't even thinking about what your spit currently tasted like. Don't worry, within a few minutes (few is relative here) you'll stop noticing it.

Your description of there only being 5 senses is pretty primitive as well. We have WAY more than 5 senses. Your sense of balance is an example of at least one more. Yes it is a real sense, it operates in our ears. That is why you get dizzy when someone slaps you upside the head, notably in the ear.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

Your post used the word duality a lot but you didn't exactly explain anything about duality. Frankly I fail to see how our senses work with duality. The way I've been taught, our senses are always operational, our brain may not be focusing on the incoming information from those senses all the time. I mean does our brain need to constantly remind us what spit tastes like? Of course not. Up until you read that sentence you probably weren't even thinking about what your spit currently tasted like. Don't worry, within a few minutes (few is relative here) you'll stop noticing it.

Your description of there only being 5 senses is pretty primitive as well. We have WAY more than 5 senses. Your sense of balance is an example of at least one more. Yes it is a real sense, it operates in our ears. That is why you get dizzy when someone slaps you upside the head, notably in the ear.

Duality is EVERYTHING you perceive, including ALL the thoughts from the mind, which is also a product of duality (the mind operates on comparative analysis, calculus). It doesn't matter how many senses you have, if they are being used to observe existence or phenomena,then duality is there. Even in out of body experiences, duality is there. ALL perception is made possible thanks to duality. No duality, equals no awareness of existence.there is NO way out of it, even if you kill your body and dwell in the higher realms. It is all possible because of duality. Duality exists in ALL perceptions and awareness.
edit on 15-2-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Ok your posts are starting to make my head hurt because the way you are using the word "duality" doesn't make sense. So let's clear something up here.

The word duality is derived from the word dual, meaning two. Explain to me how everything is two? That contradicts the concept of everything, if there are two everythings then obviously they don't contain everything.

The concept of duality says that there are two states to everything. Good and evil, hot and cold, black and white, etc. Maybe elucidate on that concept.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

The word duality is derived from the word dual, meaning two. Explain to me how everything is two? That contradicts the concept of everything, if there are two everythings then obviously they don't contain everything.

Yes duality is comparison of one to another, like contrast. It operates in sight, hearing, touching, smelling, and even our thoughts and our minds which operate on the basis of duality. All of our senses operate like this. Duality is what allows you to experience reality.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Visitor2012

Krazysh0t

Yes duality is comparison of one to another, like contrast. It operates in sight, hearing, touching, smelling, and even our thoughts andour minds which operate on the basis of duality. All of our senses operate like this. Duality is what allows you to experience your reality.

Are you ever going to go into detail with this? What do you mean when you say our senses operate with duality? Our sense are ALWAYS on, they are CONSTANTLY sending information to our brains. Where is the duality in this? Where are the two states?

Your whole argument is lacking development. You state a premise: Everything operates through duality. Then you proceed to repeat this premise OVER and OVER again. Where is your reasoning? Where have you defined how you think of duality? The way your argument goes, you could substitute any random string of letters for the word "duality" and it would keep the same meaning.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

Ok your posts are starting to make my head hurt because the way you are using the word "duality" doesn't make sense. So let's clear something up here.

The concept of duality says that there are two states to everything. Good and evil, hot and cold, black and white, etc. Maybe elucidate on that concept.

Exactly, you nailed it on the head. If you look at your statement and apply it to your senses and your mind, you will see that it's because of your perceptions (which are only made possible through comparative observation or duality) that you are able to experience anything at all. Otherwise, you'd be a comatose vegetable.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join