It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science confirms that Internet trolls really are horrible people

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by flammadraco

I think an important consideration to define here would be in making a clear distinction as to what a "TROLL" is.

For example, I'm quite Contrary.
Most often, what someone posts in a thread, I challenge it.
I'm not "trolling".
I'm engaging in debate, and/or voicing my legitimate contrary position.

However, just because I happen to disagree, or someone disagrees with someone else's sacred cow, over sensitive folk will scramble for the "troll" horn to start blowing it.

Boards like these are about engaging in discussion, and even passionate debate. Debate and contrary positions are encouraged.

Internet "Trolls", on the other hand, would seem to exist for the sole purpose of arousing emotional response.
By definition on wiki, an Internet Troll is:

a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

There should also be a further distinction between trollish behavior, and intentional trolling.

All in all, problems with these sorts can be easily avoided by refusing to invest emotional bank in little words on a computer screen.
Be reasonable. Don't fall for the bait. Engage the topic and not the poster.
Don't be a n00b and present an easy target for these online predators.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Trolls say incorrect things on purpose to get people mad

The ONLY requirement to be accused of being a "troll", is to disagree with those that "say incorrect things". Those that value the saying of "correct things", rarely resort to such accusations.

That said, I feel that you made a pretty good point, and I gave you a star for it.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TiedDestructor

True trolls refuse to debate.

Uh, oh! That tends to disqualify me. Would you care to test that assertion?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mkpetrov

I personally think sometimes you are a "horrible person" if you don't react

Me too! This "Old Troll" gave you a star for that.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

How, the Hell, did you gain access to my webcam?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

LOL

I had to give you a star for that! I, especially, like the second one... It seems to portray much of the discourse that we've had.

See ya buddy,
Milt

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I didn't need a study to see that trolling as something to do with mental disorders.

The weakest of the lot.
There are no excuses for trolling, it's the dark side taking control of our weaknesses.

Any glorification of negativism is quite childish to me, open your eyes and live the truth.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

BenReclused
reply to post by rickymouse

Trolls usually look only at evidence that backs their desired interest.

That's called "confirmation bias", and "conspiracy theorists" tend to be, MUCH, more prone to that, than we "trolls" are.

They discount anything that they feel does not apply.

Discounting information, that isn't pertinent, IS the ONLY way to "weed out" the truth. Why do you feel that is improper?

Problem is they spread a lot of narrow minded information that deflects people in to the wrong direction.

There is no such thing as "narrow minded information". It's a lack of "focus", that tends to lead in the "wrong direction".

One of their tactics is "show me the evidence" when in fact the intent of the thread is to investigate something that is new.

If one isn't searching for evidence, they're NOT performing an investigation. Why do you feel that asking for evidence is so wrong?

Scientists trying to make new discoveries would decide to work at McD's if they were forced to face trolls in their workplace.

Scientists that aren't willing to provide evidence, in support of their "new discoveries", aren't qualified to work anywhere else.

See ya,
Milt

Wow, I attracted a troll
Ya did say We trolls in the first sentence. Does that mean you are one of the We people from Ireland?
edit on 15-2-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Its the reality TV generation.
The accumilative fluorination,aluminum,barium,asulfame potassium,arsenic water, and thermerisol is pretty effective.
Those other people are not real just characters in a reality TV show inside the monitor. They'll be back next episode or next season.

Keep it up! NWO Season finale!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Let them try to stop the trolling. People will find new ways to troll. Eventually anonymously posting in this manner won't be the problem. It will be the trolls themselves not being afraid of letting out their true name with their true identity and it will come back. If they completely bar off people from their freedom of speech then people will eventually forget about those sites. In fact I have watched far less youtube channels now because people are so easily hurt by words that are put in text.

Like some have mentioned in this very post, most people don't even read the comments anymore.

The comment section is like a forum. The more you try to moderate and make people conform the more you alienate your viewers. If you only like certain posts by people then block them from your mind. You need to not forget that you have a choice. If you read the comment then shame on the troll. Read one of their comments again... SHAME ON YOU. Basic rules of trolling 1 on 1.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

theMediator
I didn't need a study to see that trolling as something to do with mental disorders.

The weakest of the lot.
There are no excuses for trolling, it's the dark side taking control of our weaknesses.

Any glorification of negativism is quite childish to me, open your eyes and live the truth.

>mfw this guy

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

No one care about people looking for attention on the internet.

But as soon as it gets destructive(damaging hardware/software,IP theft of creative content, damaging slander of you to cause harm to your companie's brand) then you need to hire a PI and track them down and sue/jail them to set the president.

Troll all you want aside from those restrictions.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Just more nonsense drummed up by the establishment so they can put you in jail if you hurt someones feelings on facebook. The PC parade marches on. What exactly constitutes trolling? It might be defined differently depending on who your talking to, and to lump everyone who has ever been called a troll on the internet in with psychopaths is patently ridiculous. I don't care who authored the paper. 99% of people on the internet are sociopaths depending on how you interpret this study (or the internet).

Garbage science, and lets face it, psychiatry is sketchy science to begin with.

edit on 15-2-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

DeadSeraph

I think we aren't bad at identifying common patterns of psychology but the ways we deal with them at the moment will probably look archaic in the future.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

I hear you on it being a double edged sword, but at the same time its real. I think its important to ask what does constitute trolling, and the difference with debating.

The difference I see is that debaters are about ideas. They love some ideas, hate others. Abusive trolls are about people. They focus in on people, and try to stir bad emotions. That's fundamentally different than putting out an idea that may hurt someone's feelings. Its about obsessing on individuals, trying to hurt them. That's fundamentally sadistic, and has nothing to do with ideological freedom.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

theMediator

DeadSeraph

I think we aren't bad at identifying common patterns of psychology but the ways we deal with them at the moment will probably look archaic in the future.

That's my point exactly. How long ago was it that psychiatrists lumped in multiple personality disorder with schizophrenia? The terms and conditions of accurate diagnosis of psychological disorders has changed so many times over the last 50 years it's ridiculous, let alone in the last ten years. Now we no longer have certified psychopaths and sociopaths, but instead label them with "personality disorders". We even have such ridiculous terms as "oppositional defiant disorder".

Psychiatry is a very important study, and I don't wish to paint it as anything else. But it is pseudo-science at it's best, because the reality of the situation is that we have a very primitive understanding of our own minds and the workings of the human brain (let alone the universe). Psychiatry is probably the least scientific discipline one could aspire to. Almost all other scientific disciplines fall under rigorous standards for peer review. Not psychiatry though. Psychiatry is generally dictated by consensus, not cold hard science, and that is largely because you can't repeat the psyche perfectly in a lab. It is dynamic and not static, constantly changing, and some might argue constantly evolving.

edit on 16-2-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
How much taxpayer money was wasted on this?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by flammadraco

I always thought trolls lived under bridges, and mean people were just that.............mean people.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Thanks for this report.

I have suspected this all along and from many years on various forums and chat sites I recognise when posters have multiple screen names.

There's a certain psychology that accompanies it and when the trolls are tracked they are often from the same source.

Hopefully they will all be found out.
edit on 16-2-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Great thread!
It did make me think about how I view Trolls, and Hackers.

Sometimes I want them all lined against the wall and shot. (When it harms innocent people)

And there are other times where I am waving the flag for them. (When you can see that they are just having a little fun, or actually helping people)

I guess I'm still on the fence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join