It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bushs Face on Billboards in Orlando, FL (from ATSNN)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Along I-4 in Orlando, Florida, there are at least two billboards bearing Bush's picture and the words "Our Leader." One of them is paid for by Clear Channel. Some are disturbed by it, because to them it's similar to Saddam Hussein having had his picture plastered all over Iraq.

www.bluelemur.com
A billboard recently put up in Orlando bearing a smiling photograph of President Bush with the words �Our Leader� is raising eyebrows among progressives who feel the poster is akin to that of propaganda used by tyrannical regimes.

"The first thing I thought was, when was the last time I have seen a president on a billboard?� wrote resident Dianna Lawson. �Didn�t Saddam Hussein have his picture up everywhere? What next, a statue?�

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is rather disturbing. I think it would be more fitting if instead of "Our Leader" the words "Big Brother Is Watching You" were put on the billboard. It's pretty funny how we go over to Iraq to get rid of evil dictator Saddam, yet Bush seems to be copying him by having his picture plastered on these billboards!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
What IS really amusing is how you can confuse a third party sponsored, political statement (of truth), with an action taken, sponsored or endorsed by President Bush. (Amythist said...." yet Bush seems to be copying him by having his picture plastered on these billboards!)

A private ad company took money to provide a service to display a message paid for by a private company/individule willing to pay....and somehow you blame the President. An incredible leap in logic here.

This is NOT government sponsored idolizing of Bush, its a private sponsored message. This is in no way similar to seeing government erected pics of Saddam all over Iraq.

Amethyst says,

I think this is rather disturbing. I think it would be more fitting if instead of "Our Leader" the words "Big Brother Is Watching You" were put on the billboard
SO? Go pay for a billboard that say that!!! Are you basically advocating a position of CENSORSHIP of these billboards? Because you dont aprove of a true statement of fact with a picture next to it? Because you dislike Bush, your for telling others that they cant show their approval?
(PS, I HATE fearchannel)

What form of political speech is next for the ban hammer so to speak?

As a news story i found this interesting,
as the editorial comments go, they certantly are entitled to be heard
no less than the billboard is to be seen.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by CazMedia]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Perhaps the person who paid for the bill boards
sincerely thought he was doing a public service?

[edit on 23-11-2004 by mockan]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
One big difference here. Saddam used money that could have been used to benefit his nation to plaster his image all over Iraq. In Florida, private citizens put up billboards to support our President, who happens to be a leader of admirable proportions.

I find it interesting that you would not object to the billboards, if they displayed insults to the President. And I think you can pretty well bet that eventually there will be a statue erected to GW.

In passing, I would like to say that the most spectacular statue I have ever seen is the one of Sam Houston in Huntsville, Texas. It is the largest statue I have ever seen. If you ever get a chance I suggest you see it. I think something of this magnitude would fit GW just fine.

Sam Houston Statue-

It's the world's tallest statue of an American hero Huntsville native David Adickes turned 60,000 pounds of concrete and steel into a towering 66-foot statue of General Sam Houston. Mounted atop a 10-foot, granite-sheathed base, the statue is visible for more than six miles.

www.lone-star.net...

www.wlra.us...
www.glasssteelandstone.com...
www.infomotions.com...
www.huntsvilletexas.com...

[edit on 04/11/23 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
One big difference here. Saddam used money that could have been used to benefit his nation to plaster his image all over Iraq. In Florida, private citizens put up billboards to support our President, who happens to be a leader of admirable proportions.
[edit on 04/11/23 by GradyPhilpott]

Gosh Grady read it. It was put up by Clear Channel, rapidly becoming the sole controller of Radio. And heavily backed by the FCC. A very corrupt arm of he Federal Government. Clear Channel last year gave the entire Commission an all expenses paid trip to the Bahamas. And they were bought lock stock and barrel.

Your Killing Me,

Polar Bear.

Look the elections are over your freak'in HERO is making his end run. Time will tell who here was correct in their beliefs

So far he is doing a lousy job as far as using his "Political Capital". Both at home and especiallly abroad.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by Polar Bear]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Polar Bear

Gosh Grady read it. It was put up by Clear Channel

They are still private citizens, corporate or otherwise. The money did not come from the public coffers.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I'm not really sure what everyone is getting huffy about.

They say that freedom of speech is waning, that the FCC loves Clear Channel so they can't have the same rights we do to free speech.

Is this a circular argument?

Look, if it comes to pass that the government had its digs in this, then fine, that's a bad sign.

If not, then who cares what they put up? Obviously a Square sponge cavorting around in a Burgermobile is great, but a simple picture and a truthful label are somehow obscene.

Try watching The Swan, quite possibly the worst model for programming there is. Ugly or messed up women get drastic plastic surgery to "look better" (as if that's not already a problem socially), and then they are judged and exploited.

I don't think it's a good message to say "You've undergone extreme surgery to change your outward appearance, and you STILL aren't good enough or pretty/thin enough.

But hey, freedom of speech (and entertainment) is generally something we like in America.

So BFD pretty much covers this, unless we can get our hands on something criminal or proof of government involvement.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I could have sworn i posted first as a responce to this thread, but dont see mt post???

oh well, the electronic gremlins ate it.

I agree...private company buys billboard space from another private company (or itself) to expouse a truthful political message....BIG DEAL!!!

Anyone who is advocating destruction or removal of this billboard is advocating CENSORSHIP!

What kind of political speech will be next on the chopping block?

If you want a billboard that has a pic of the President and says..."big brother watching you"
then go buy one.

polar bear says frostilly,

Gosh Grady read it. It was put up by Clear Channel, rapidly becoming the sole controller of Radio. And heavily backed by the FCC. A very corrupt arm of he Federal Government
First off I HATE FEARCHANNEL!
BUT
you will have to show some evidence of your alleged FCC corruption before i can take this for granted, as much as id like to see fear channel and m.powel go down together.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I'm sorry Caz I researched it over a year ago when the Battle of the FCC was occurring. I am now relying on my memory since the Battle was lost.

Sincerely yours,

Bear

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Sorry ATS if you haven't noticed freedom of speech is dead. Being PC has replaced it. Be afraid, be very afraid, the thought police are coming. Everyone seems to fear some sort of fascist attack on free speech when the Libs have killed it through PC brainwashing............
The billboards just give the libs something to throw empty "juice" cans at, oh but that would be littering wouldn't it.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by DrHoracid]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I do not argue the right of a CC to do this. I do, however, find it a tad chilling. I mean come on, are they going to start having all their newsbriefs on Bush begin with "Dear Leader Bush was blah blah blah"

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
It's a company using it's own money to sell it's product; it's no different than Ronald McDonald or the Green Giant being on that billboard. Clear Channel's main market is the Bush base; they're the ones who will gladly take 5 minutes of music & 55 minutes of commercials of every hour because that CC station luves them some Bush!
The obvious extention lost on them & not picked up by the Bush base? Advertising icons are a 2 dimensional parody of real life.....that's Dim Son to a tee!!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Excused me people but all the billboard is selling is a president that thinks itself as a God.

You can bash me anything you want but only dictatorships are the ones that wants to keep the faces of its leaders on the public eyes so they be remind it as to who is in charge.

Sorry, I hope that "Freedom" of speech make the billboards target practices for the dissatisfied consumers of Mr. Bush BS.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It does have a Dictatorship type ring to it or maybe it�s just the ringing I always have in my head

rawstory.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Source: www.bluelemur.com...

[edit on 23/11/2004 by Sauron]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   

our President, who happens to be a leader of admirable proportions.

I believe that would be a matter of opinion Grady. Just under HALF the voters thought he sucked as a president. It bugs the hell out of me when republicans act like Bush won by 80+% of the vote.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Yes I find this kind of thing scary indeed, it seems as though it is promoting some kind of idolism.

I for one would be sick if this kind of thing or a statue of Tony Blair popped up in my country.

Saying that, it may just be a reminder to the general public, maybe they forget if not reminded,

I have to say after going to the US many times, with the amount of flags that are everywhere, I have often thought this maybe because without them, the citizens may forget which country they are in :p

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

I believe that would be a matter of opinion Grady. Just under HALF the voters thought he sucked as a president. It bugs the hell out of me when republicans act like Bush won by 80+% of the vote.

I don�t know the numbers for this so it is just off the top of my head 60% of the American people voted? Bush won by 51% that�s what about 30% of the American population? who voted for bush

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron

Originally posted by Kidfinger

I don�t know the numbers for this so it is just off the top of my head 60% of the American people voted? Bush won by 51% that�s what about 30% of the American population? who voted for bush

Um.. read my post. Half theVOTERS. Not half the population.

Edit:
Nevermind, Im a moron
I just reread your post. Sorry

[edit on 11/23/04 by Kidfinger]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The fact that you are able to post things such responses as you are should reassure you that "Big Brother' is not watching you.

Many of You also are openly stating that the president of the US does not deserve the complimentary billboard from a private financail backer? If you do not beleive he should be there, please begin to organize the 50,000,000 person march on Washington. Get every Kerry voter to go to Washington the day of the inaguration. There, I gave you the idea, run with it.....

Realize, In many countries whispering ideas different than your own goverments means a visit in the middle of the night, or a beating in the streets. Many of These are the same countries many of you in within these forums defend. Now, If every 3 blocks you suddenly saw a poster or the was a permanant video pic of Bush in Times Square, get worried. Until then, please show some patriotism to our country, if not to our president.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
well..even thou i dont like the whole idea of the billboard thing..it is freedom of speach..albiet by a huge corporate conglomeration that has used its money to support the party in office. a 'tribute' to a pres that won by just barely 51%..on the second time around.......and lost the popular vote the first time. i think it says something that it was a corporation that paid for the billboard............
but, you know what this will start....a freedom of speach war...other private companies and citizens will pay to voice thier opinion for others to see...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join