It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth revolves around the sun? 1 in 4 Americans say nope

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Text This bracing statistic comes from a survey of more than 2,200 people conducted by the National Science Foundation.
reply to post by Indigent

Please don't get into a tizzy about this. All this amounts to is an attempt to get more money for Obama's buddies. The NSA is a president appointed board of 24 selected people with the approval of the Senate. Not the congress but the Senate. We all know that the Senate is in the back pocket of Obama and his buddies. This appointment is for six years and the salaries (naturally) are set by guess who? The so called poll is not told in this article nor where the poll was taken. Might have been taken in Detroit for all we know or selected spots in the ghettos but one thing is for sure and that is that it does not represent America. It's a funding scheme for more money into the pockets of the Buddy system and kick back to the Dems. Most all so called science depends upon grants or taxpayer money and science is totally controlled by the grants. I do not believe this article for one moment knowing that it is politically controlled and funded.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Regardless of what you believe, people aren't getting dumber, there will always be people that just don't know. One of my favorite segments, for example, is Jay Leno's "Jaywalking". www.youtube.com...

He's been exposing dumb people for a very long time. What he doesn't show are ALL the people he went through to get these dumb ones. I saw a documentary or something on it, a very long time ago. I'll look for it. The difference is exposure. When all you are shown are the dumb ones, it makes you start to think that we are a growing society of idiots.

Although recently I was in a debate on a forum I frequent about the ""WOW!"" signal that was detected in 1977. The young lawyer I was in a debate with, happened to not believe it ever existed, asked me to cite my sources etc and so forth. The lawyer was claiming that we didn't even have big ear radio telescopes in the 70's to take off my "tinfoil hat" and get back down to earth.

So, it's not about being dumb..its about being ignorant. Thank the stars, the motto here is, "Deny Ignorance". /sarcasm. haha.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
What is with the entire worlds obsession with America? I'm tired of these "American" threads.

You'd get the same if not worse results doing the same polls in England, Canada, Australia, ect. People all over the world are stupid.

"Oh no, I'd rather watch American Idol:. Oh yea uhhh, what about "Britain's got Talent"? Did you forget the guy who originally created the show was British? At least a dozen other countries have similar shows as well. I've seen multiple Asian ones, ones from several other European countries as too.

Video gaming. There are tons of young Asians who do nothing but play video games, it's actually such a problem over there, they have government funded rehabilitation centers for anti-social gamers.

I really don't understand how the mods allow this bashing of Americans continue on these boards. I'm sure if I was to start throwing out stereotypes about British people...yes we all know what they are, I would most likely have my thread/post removed. I'm still disgusted that the "America is a nation of Psychopaths" thread was allowed to remain on these boards.

There are dumb Honey Boo-boo acting, (insert county name) has got Talent watching , stupid fools all over the world. So please get off Americas nuts already, please.

edit on 17-2-2014 by Nola213 because: content

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Nola213
What is with the entire worlds obsession with America? I'm tired of these "American" threads.

Calm down.

I read today on CNN (not sure anymore) that THIS VERY SAME STUDY found the result in Europe EVEN WORSE, with 1/3 of people "in Europe" not knowing about the Sun and the Earth. (As opposed to 1/4th in the US).

Needless to say i was shocked although I don't know what they mean with "Europe". I mean it's a lot of a difference to ask someone from Albania compared to, say, someone from Germany or Norway. All I am saying is that the study claimed the number worse than that in the US.

>>
I really don't understand how the mods allow this bashing of Americans continue on these boards.
>>

Explain to me how this is "bashing" and what there is that the mods "can allow" respective "should not allow"?
Despite some people claiming otherwise, picking 2000 people and doing a survey is a an entire legit way to come up with some statistics which COULD (if the survey is done adequately and well) reflect this number in regards to the entire society. It's called statistics.

So...sorry, 1/4th of Americans don't know whether the Earth revolves around the Sun or vice versa...whether you claim this as being "Anti-American bashing" or not, doesn't change the fact.
edit on 12014R000000MondayAmerica/Chicago50AMMondayMonday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Sorry to inform you, but people are not that stupid. They are little more than excellent liars. Yes, they did say the sun circles earth but probably only a very small portion, VERY small portion of those 1 in 4 actually believe that. Open ur mind a little more. People pretend to be dumb for a reason. Be wary of them. They scare (not boogie man scare, more like ominous)me because they hide their intelligence under a veil of stupidity. We've all met them before. They are human, of course they aren't dumb. Some people do it to be funny though... and others are disabled mentally or feral.
edit on 17-2-2014 by Gyo01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Star for the Lebowski meme. Gotta love Walter and His Royal Dudeness.

Anyway, I think its more of a humanity issue than a US specific problem. While we have basically the entirety of human knowledge and endeavor at our fingertips (i.e. the internet) and amazing technology available to a large portion of the planet (i.e. television), these carry the negative consequence of infinite distraction. This in turn leads to an overall less intelligent human populous the world over.

Of course our scores are pointed out and ridiculed because were beer swilling gun toting ignoramus 'mericans dontcha know?
edit on 17-2-2014 by Kgdetroit because: added on topic discussion items.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Since the topic does not relate to Amerikans within their own borders, or Iraq, the fact of the matter is simply ignored in their education system. Nothing to see here. Only in Amerika.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

this does not happen in any other first world country

you got any facts to back that up? by the way, make sure your facts are not made up.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

This is what we get when we teach to a test and eliminate critical thinking from the curriculum.

second line.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

boncho

This bracing statistic comes from a survey of more than 2,200 people conducted by the National Science Foundation.

Gotta love statistics.

1/4 of 2,200 people believe the earth doesn't revolve around the sun is more like it.

“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.”

If something looks too good to be true it usually is. And that includes stories that send such a clear message.

We've seen the standard knee-jerk reactions in this thread. We should expect more of ATS. And ourselves. If you find yourself having such a reaction. Question it. Because probably some group or entity wants you to have that reaction. It' soften tied to some PR effort.

People should stop debunking the conspiracy theories and paranormal issues. And start debunking news stories such as this. It's much more helpful and important.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

We aren't talking about trains now are we.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

solongandgoodnight

this does not happen in any other first world country

you got any facts to back that up? by the way, make sure your facts are not made up.

It's a fact that 83% of facts are made up on the spot 67% of the time.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

NoRulesAllowed

Nola213

Calm down.

I read today on CNN (not sure anymore) that THIS VERY SAME STUDY found the result in Europe EVEN WORSE, with 1/3 of people "in Europe" not knowing about the Sun and the Earth. (As opposed to 1/4th in the US).

Needless to say i was shocked although I don't know what they mean with "Europe". I mean it's a lot of a difference to ask someone from Albania compared to, say, someone from Germany or Norway. All I am saying is that the study claimed the number worse than that in the US.

>>
I really don't understand how the mods allow this bashing of Americans continue on these boards.
>>

Explain to me how this is "bashing" and what there is that the mods "can allow" respective "should not allow"?
Despite some people claiming otherwise, picking 2000 people and doing a survey is a an entire legit way to come up with some statistics which COULD (if the survey is done adequately and well) reflect this number in regards to the entire society. It's called statistics.

So...sorry, 1/4th of Americans don't know whether the Earth revolves around the Sun or vice versa...whether you claim this as being "Anti-American bashing" or not, doesn't change the fact.
edit on 12014R000000MondayAmerica/Chicago50AMMondayMonday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

You're right, I was a little amped up earlier, too much coffee maybe. But these "America" threads seem to pop up way to often here. Are we the center of the earth? Maybe the sun revolves around America? :p

This thread isn't too bad but it shows the trend,however I was more referring to the thread I saw 3 or days ago with the title something along the lines of "Good job raising a nation of psychopaths(or sociopaths) America" I forget which term was used but both are equally charged. I was amazed that the thread was allowed to sit on the front page for 2-3 straight days while people just tore into Americans. It's those types of threads that I see too often here which sparked my reply in this one. Sorry if I derailed anything it wasn't my intention.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

The fact of evolution is not a theory.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
It's all because the foolish religions americans and others follow that promote ignorance.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

WorthlessServant
If you're surprised that American minds are this dumb, then you won't believe what their hearts look like.

Seriously? you're gonna say this while sporting a quote from an American in your signature. SMH. If you haven't been following along, Europe and Asia "according to your methods of figuring intelligence" are dumber than Americans, as they score worse on this survey.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

ChesterJohn

nearly there. A few more pages..., trains.

great avatar btw.
edit on 17-2-2014 by Nola213 because: added content

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

ChesterJohn

If you are unable to see that trains are not the only thing where that idea applies, it's probably pointless to attempt to illuminate your viewpoint further.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This has been going on for quite awhile, there is a very large percentage of people that doesn't know there was an American Civil War!
It's not just kids either, in 1980 a guy I was working with in California laughed when I told him I drove to Alaska! He bet me $50 that the only way to get to Alaska was via ship or aircraft!
I asked him if he was getting mixed up with Hawaii and he said NO!

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

wulff
This has been going on for quite awhile, there is a very large percentage of people that doesn't know there was an American Civil War!
It's not just kids either, in 1980 a guy I was working with in California laughed when I told him I drove to Alaska! He bet me $50 that the only way to get to Alaska was via ship or aircraft!
I asked him if he was getting mixed up with Hawaii and he said NO!

heh the only thing I could assume is he's only ever looked at maps, you know the American maps with Canada missing and Alaska sitting in the bottom left or right next to the other American territories like Hawaii ... only then could he think Alaska was some sort of island. Dont American schools have maps of the world in them?.. or do students simply never look at em, even out of curiosity?

Either way... I dont know weather to laugh or cry, hell im from NZ and even I seem know more about American geography than it seems some Americans do.
And ive never bothered to actually look at America on a map properly before.
edit on 18-2-2014 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join