It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare Enrollments Plummet by 49% in January

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
It looks like the Obama.Care "sign-ups" took a plunge in January.

Not to mention that a high percentage of policies have not been paid for yet.

We must wonder where all those 30 million or 40 million *uninsured* people are?

The unpaid portions might be due to people who think it's free combined with general deadbeats.

But in reality, it could be people just can't afford the deductibles and didn't realize that until they got the bad news 'in the mail'.

Disappointing for any reason.

Obama.Care is taking off like a lead balloon.

Obamacare Enrollments Plummet by 49% in January

The Weekly Standard reports:

On Wednesday, the Department of Health and Human Services announced that enrollment in the Obamacare private exchanges increased by 1,146,071 in January. In December, HHS reported 1,788,000 enrollees in the month of December. That suggests a drop-off of approximately 500,000, or 29 percent.

Yet this underestimates the true extent of enrollment dropoffs. The HHS reporting period for December was four weeks, beginning on 12/1 and ending on 12/28. The reporting period for January was five weeks, beginning on 12/29 and ending on 2/1. This suggests that in December, enrollments averaged 447,000 per week, compared to 229,000 in January, or a 49 percent drop-off in new enrollees.

Can You Hear the "Thud" ?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
All the people who needs to sign up already signed up before the due date. It will continue to plummet until the employer mandate kicks in 2015. Then the employers will dump their employees into the exchange because it's cheaper to get hit by the Obamacare tax. It will spike some more in 2015, but I suspect there will be a lot more very angry people. Perhaps they will march to DC and burn the place down.
edit on 14-2-2014 by amfirst1 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
It's like watching a car wreck over and over again. Obama is too prideful to call a mistake a mistake, so everyone else will just have to suffer through it. Pride cometh before the fall?? He can't fall near fast enough IMO.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
All those numbers are complete BS ( Barrak statements). When people looked all the way through obamacare to find out the deductibles and prices they called them enrollees even when they didnt sign up at all.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Maybe they're still trying to log on to the website.
Maybe they've followed our fearless leaders example and put it off again.
Maybe they looked at their budget and decided food and rent were more important.

So many possibilities it's hard to say. Maybe it "Aliens!" That's what I'm going to tell them.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I think they pulled that number out of their rear ends. As in never existed.

Hell between medicare,medicaid that accounts for over 100 million people even higher depending on what figure one looks at.

That should rightly be in the private sector.

I honestly think the goal of Obamacare is to introduced their long dream of a single payer.

Screw up the healthcare system already more than it is.

The intentional delays of ObamaCare is just to keep kicking the can down the road til after elections.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Where are the uninsured? Right here!

Proudly not participating in Obamacare.

Give me insurance that makes sense, I will buy it.

Edit: wth only half my words are posting...
edit on 2/14/14 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

neo96

I honestly think the goal of Obamacare is to introduced their long dream of a single payer.

Screw up the healthcare system already more than it is.

I think your statement is DEAD on the money. I think the main goal of this whole debacle was to screw up the system so bad, that people would literally BEG for something else.... ANYTHING else.

Single payer to the rescue. Enough time will have passed that people will have conveniently gotten used to the idea of government+healthcare = same, that they will run, not walk to the single payer "product" intended from the beginning.

If I had money to bet... I'd bet it all on that.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Ameilia

Where are the uninsured? Right here!

Proudly not participating in Obamacare.

Give me insurance that makes sense, I will buy it.

Edit: wth only half my words are posting...
edit on 2/14/14 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

Same.. I'm uninsured, my dad is uninsured, my mom is uninsured... My GF is uninsured, my sister, 2 of my brothers.. Most of my friends are uninsured except the ones with good jobs. None of us are on medicare or medicaid or whatever it is, and none of us signed up for ACA..

Should be a Huge Sign ehh?

On a lighter note I got hired recently and will be working for a company that plans on giving me full time and insurance. That however is lucky as F..

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I'm not going to accept the bill in my own right. What I was taught when I was young is "You give any opposing force an inch and they will push you a MILE." This only shows how dumb we were (the us votes) when we voted for it.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Uninsured and plan to stay that way, especially now that they want to force it on me. I'm healthy and recently quit smoking, if I get sick I drink plenty of fluids and take fever reducers, rinse and repeat. I've no need for something I'll rarely if ever use. Refuse to sign up on the principal of it all. Obama can take the ACA and wipe his butt with it for all I care.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

But the Whitehouse will spin it as Obamacare Enrollments rise by 51% in January.

That looks better to them rather than Obamacare Enrollments Plummet by 49% in January.

But it's all spin.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

1/5 of the people who signed up are not paying.

I don't think its going to make it, it was way more expensive than what I am paying now.

I think it increased my current insurance, it has made me turn against it and Obama.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Since I was kicked off my plan....I have had to deal with ACA...sadly.

I had reason to talk to my insurer this week, and they were having trouble accessing ACA that day.
I guess it works in spurts.

Not really a surprise enrollments dropped after the !st....most people who signed up are probably like me:
they got dumped and want to have insurance.
And had a Dec 31 st deadline.

Now, I pray I never have to use it...as I cannot afford the HUGE deductible...but had to take Bronze...as that is the only premium I can [BARELY] afford

edit on Sat Feb 15 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Now, I pray I never have to use it...as I cannot afford the HUGE deductible...but had to take Bronze...as that is the only premium I can [BARELY] afford

You've probably just summed up the biggest reason many people are just not signing up. This is the truly diabolical aspect of obamacare. Even heard now that hospitals are denying treatment unless they get the cash up front if deductible's have not been met.

Everyone should have access to healthcare IMO but we certainly don't need horrible insurance plans that we can't afford. Especially ones that let us down when we need it most.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I understand that high deductibles are terrifying.
But how are they worse than no insurance at all? Isn't the fact that insurance is available to a lot of people that did not have access to it previously a good thing?

It doesn't take much (A badly broken leg? A chronic illness which requires expensive meds?) to reach that deductible level.
edit on 2/15/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I have read your posts. I have no qualms in saying you are a mentally gifted person.

Is there really a difference between $15,000 and $60,000 when a person has $1,100 in the bank?

The deductibles are as out of reach as the medical bills are to a great many people in America today.

I have 100% for life through the VA. I am thankful for that every day. I know I would be lost without it.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

The burden of healthcare for the uninsured falls on you and millions of others. As it is now, about 79% or about 1 in 4 successful obamacare enrollees qualify for subsidies.

They have delayed (again) the employer mandates until 2016 because they know how bad that is going to be for businesses and jobs, they are even trying word it so that employers are forced to swear under oath that no employees were laid off because of obamacare. Or so rumors suggest.

Bottom line, obamacare (ACA) is a wealth redistribution plan, it is everyone who can pay who will ultimately be forced to pay, and pay more for those who can't pay. Premiums will adjust up over time deductibles as well. And with new fully implemented regulations on the healthcare system as a whole, not only will you have to pay more, you will have to wait longer for services, in some cases be denied treatment, and get access to much lower quality healthcare in general.

But hey, you got coverage!

It's all good... Just ask any liberal.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Is there really a difference between $15,000 and $60,000 when a person has $1,100 in the bank?
Yes. $45,000.

I said high deductibles are terrifying. But no more terrifying than the cost of medical treatment is, with or without the deductible.

I have 100% for life through the VA. I am thankful for that every day. I know I would be lost without it.
You deserve it.

In regard to the OP. Let's ignore the fact that enrollment rates are not the same thing as enrollments. It's much more fun that way.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage
[mor

Beg pardon but, isn't a super high deductible you can never afford to meet the same as no insurance?

(except the money you are out of pocket for premiums)

It's one thing to say look at all these people that can get insurance now, when you don't stop to consider that they can not afford to use it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join