It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake in the Carolinas just now?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by duke396

I don't think it has anything to do with snow. Think about it this way, your sitting in hurricane country where a lot more water is involved in the equation. If there hasn't been a correlation between that and earthquakes then there is no correlation between snow and earthquakes. The snow to rain ratio is approximately 1 inch of rain would equal 10 inches of snow. Of course you have fluffy snow and you have wet snow so its not exact science here. Either way, if you get 6 inches of snow its actually not much when in liquid form.

Could it have anything to do with the cold weather? Maybe but I don't think that is the case either. I think it is just an earthquake on a very dormant fault line.

I would keep my eyes out tho for odd behavior from animals. It's odd to me there was just one jolt and nothing before or after. 4.0 isn't something to turn your nose at, especially with nothing before or after it in years.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by duke396

From your link...

The quake at 10:23 p.m. was centered on the edge of Thurmond Lake, just north of the area hardest hit by this week's snow and ice storm.

...interesting tidbit.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Destinyone
reply to post by duke396

I live in the N. Ga Mountains only about 12 miles as the crow flies from the Carolina border...I felt what I thought was an EQ about 15 mins ago. Having lived 30 mins outside of San Fran for over 20 years I know what an EQ feels like.

Destiny,
I'm in Oconee County, SC and was standing at the sink in my laundry room when I felt it. Definitely side-to-side and rumbly noise. I instinctively looked at the washing machine thinking it was off-balanced, then thought "duh- I don't even have a load in there!"

I thought 'Earthquake??? --nah' ...jet? Not with the side-to-side.

So thanks, OP for making this thread. Someone mentioned the fault line that passes thru the quake area and heads SW to the Savannah River. When I lived in Aiken, SC, it was common knowledge that DoD had the Savannah River Site (nuclear) built on a fault line.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by duke396

Well it also could be just a simple lubrication issue. Excess water from the snow melt may have lubricated the fault, and caused it to slip where otherwise it might not.

There is also something strange about that quake. If you guys refer to the spectrogram I posted of it, quakes usually exhibit a lot more super low frequency than that. Most of the frequency content in this quake resides in the 3 to 18 Hz range, whereas normally, we'd see 1 and 2 Hz pegged all the way out, and stretching all the way across that picture. Hmm, not sure on that one, but might be the shallow depth causing that. I've seen that before. Quakes at shallow depths can do that sometimes. But they're usually much smaller than 4.1's. This quake it seems should have had much more low frequency content.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I am only a about 18 miles from the center. I almost had my son to sleep when the bed began to shake and there was a rumbling sound. At first I thought it was a huge power truck because we have fallen trees everywhere from the ice storm and the whole place s a huge mess. Many people are still without power, so there are convoys of electric company trucks everywhere. I soon realized within a second it seemed that this was no truck or trucks. I quickly jumped up to see what it was. I want to say that it seemed to last about 5-7 seconds, however I am very close to the epicenter. The rumbling was pretty loud too. Once I got up I went outside and more and more people were coming outside to see what it might have been. Now we are wondering if the aftershocks are coming. Just feels like weird timing with the major ice storm. Many folks are still without power and there is major tree debris everywhere. Now we get this earthquake which isn't a common thing around here. Even thought for a second that a large meteor was heading in because of the rumble. I'm glad everyone is ok. A 4.4 is nothing compared to the California types, but folks around here including myself haven't experienced that before, and people are still recovering from the ice storm disaster.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Jbird

Yep right down the road from my house is Thurmond Lake. There is a dam there too , but I don't think a 4.4 would break it. The again I am no expert.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

You may have a point but I thought it was interesting that TA brought up glacial rebound. I don't know how relevant that would be to the amount of snow we actually had but the whole thing is just... Strange. To happen the day it all melts, when we haven't had a quake in years? I guess weirder things have happened.

reply to post by TrueAmerican

If it was just lubrication though wouldn't we have seen something like this in January when we were getting tons of rain? I don't know.

reply to post by modo302

Thanks for checking in, wow that must have been an experience to be so close. Wishing you well with recovery from our wintery mishap... My area didn't get hit too bad thankfully. I mean I think all of us collectively laughed when they said we'd be getting a bunch of snow, but for the most part they kept people off the streets here (EVERYTHING was shut down Thursday until 2-4pm probably and not sure about Wed because I was off anyway and didn't even bother to walk outside) and we had a few scattered power outages but nothing major that I'm aware of.
edit on 15-2-2014 by duke396 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   

The timing of it all seems strange to me. Our power went out late Wednesday night and all night long in the darkness you consistently heard branches and trees collapsing to the ground. In the pitch black darkness it was very eerie. No street lights no lights except the occasional arcing of the electrical transformers. It was pretty surreal. A major ice and snow storm and now an earthquake back to back in a place that really never gets those things.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

there was serious rumbling noises. Does that have to do with the Hz you are referring to? I know nothing about quakes. Do you think we will feel an aftershock here? I am only about 18 or so miles from the center on the GA side of the Savannah river. I appreciate your insight!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by duke396

I know it was only a 4.4, but it was an experience all right, an experience I won't soon forget.
Californians would laugh at me for that but that's ok. I don't know how they handle those larger quakes, I can't even imagine what those feel like. Scary stuff.
edit on 15-2-2014 by modo302 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

modo302

The timing of it all seems strange to me. Our power went out late Wednesday night and all night long in the darkness you consistently heard branches and trees collapsing to the ground. In the pitch black darkness it was very eerie. No street lights no lights except the occasional arcing of the electrical transformers. It was pretty surreal. A major ice and snow storm and now an earthquake back to back in a place that really never gets those things.

I live near the coast in Georgetown County. We still don't have lights ane they are projecting it will be 3 to 5 more days.
We did not feel the earthquake here but I agree with you. It is just a little strange.
Ya'll take care and be safe.
Quad

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

Wow! I hope they get your power on soon! It is an unpleasant situation. Take care!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
You know, I have always been curious about that quake in Charleston, SC back in 1886. Just how this all interconnects is hard to say...

The Charleston Earthquake of 1886 was a powerful intraplate earthquake that hit Charleston, South Carolina, and the East Coast of the US. After the 1811 and 1812 earthquakes in New Madrid, Missouri, it is one of the most powerful and damaging quakes to hit the southeastern United States.[2][3] The shaking occurred at about 9:50 p.m. on August 31, 1886, and lasted just under a minute. The earthquake caused severe damage in Charleston, damaging 2,000 buildings and causing $6 million worth in damage (over $141 million in 2009 dollars), while in the whole city the buildings were only valued at approximately $24 million. Between 60 and 110 lives were lost. Very little to no historical earthquake activity occurred in the Charleston area prior to the 1886 event, which is unusual for any seismic area.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I really thought/hoped we were past the point of power outages for multiple days

Hope they get it back on for you soon.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

duke396

Wow, I really thought we were past the point of power outages for multiple days

Hope they get it back on for you soon.

Just the price one has to pay to live in the country. We have a lot of down power lines on each end of the road I live on. The linemen and service folks are doing a good job and I understand why they want to get the "easy fixes" first before clearing the big stuff.
Hard to believe it can be this quiet though. It's so quiet at three in the morning that I am having trouble sleeping.
I live in the country so it is usually a little quiet. But with out the hum and buzz of the many electronic devices and appliances it is super quiet.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
There are no power outages here from all the snow and ice. I was asleep on my sofa and the earthquake woke me up with the rumbling noise. Before I fell back asleep, I heard earthquake on the news. 4.1
I'm hoping there is no damage to my house. I heard on the news about possible damage in my area but it is dark and most are asleep. I thought I heard the earthquake knocked the snow off of someone's roof. With really several inches of ice, not snow anymore, that would cause a rumble by itself.

As far as getting woken up by loud rumbles after suddenly falling asleep, this one wasn't that bad for me. A number of times, it sounds like a bomb went off over my house. That's just thunder in the summer though.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

modo302

there was serious rumbling noises. Does that have to do with the Hz you are referring to?

The rumbling noises are common during quakes. After thinking about it more, the lack of 1 and 2 Hz could be because of 1) shallow depth and 2) local bedrock. The bedrock may have the ability to attenuate those frequencies more so than in other places like out west. When a quake originates at shallow depth above heavy duty bedrock, the bedrock itself may stop the ultra low frequencies from propagating a great distance. We saw this in the shallow seimicity that happened in Wisconsin a while back. I believe that may be what we are seeing here. If it originates deeper in the bedrock itself however, the mere fact that the bedrock moved would be enough to propagate those frequencies much, much further, and usually, with a lot more power.

Do you think we will feel an aftershock here?

Hard to say, but if it's an aftershock, chances are it would be about 2.8 or less, meaning, that you would probably not feel it unless you were ultra close to the epicenter. This could be like the Virginia quake- a one time thing, with no more effects. If it was going to trigger anything bigger, or trigger another nearby fault, we'll probably see it in the next few days. So yeah, stay alert peoples. And that includes me! *gulp*

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Very true. I remember staying out at my dad's house -- not quite farmlands or anything but a little ways out, it would take considerably longer for things to get back to normal after a failure. Even worse when you've got downed lines like that.

reply to post by orionthehunter

Hopefully no damage, but I wouldn't be surprised if it knocked some ice down. I almost got hit with a pretty big sheet this morning (well yesterday morning I guess) walking by the carport as it was all sliding down and breaking off, no earthquake needed.

Still curious about any aftershocks that may come from this, thanks again TA for looking into that and for the information you've shared. I wish we could know for sure if all this really is related somehow. For now though I have to get to bed... Thanks to everyone who showed up and reported their experience! Stay safe and lets hope that was the worst of it.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Ok this is interesting. I was researching the Eastern Piedmont Fault and the slate belt that runs thru Edgefield Co and it turns out that

In February of 1852 Dorn [an Edgefield County farmer] discovered the second richest vein of gold in South Carolina's history. Only the Haile Mine in Lancaster County produced more gold than the Dorn Mine......The mine was sold in 1869 to inventor Cyrus McCormick, who spent over $200,000 in a futile search for another rich strike...... ceased his search.......began selling his land which would become the town of McCormick.
Link with pics

So it turns out that 1. they dug alot of vertical shafts 2. McCormick is pretty dern close as the crow flies to the USGS co-ord of tonights quake according to google maps 3. there was another mine -Barite Hill mine just south of McCormick link 4. another mine Southern Gold mine

Pink dot McCormick, green dot Quake,USGS co-ord per google (which I've found to off somewhat),Green arrow Barite mine, purple dot Southern gold Mine

Now I know Haile in L'caster is still in production - has been since economic collapse, they actually ramped up production price of gold so high and all that. Living so close to it gives me the willies, b/c I'm on an ancient fault line and they blast regularly and the issues with h20 contamination, but they seem to keep everything safe so far.

It seems that there are some that are still in production in Edgefield --maybe someone more local can enlighten us -- but I can't be sure.

Do you guys think that this might have anything to do with it? Would those old old shafts have anything to do with lubrication of faults? Would any new blasting trigger anything? Like I said I know just enough to get me into trouble!!

ps I seem to remember that in that area in Virginia where that quake that rattled the eastern seaboard had alot of gold mines also.
edit on 15-2-2014 by SCGrits because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I'm not sure how much active mining is done but I do know they allow visitors to the mine on occassion. I had been planning on visiting but always seem to be doing something else.
visit.mccormickscchamber.org...

Here's a link to the gold mine. You can visit outside festival times.
mccormickscchamber.org...

This area was pretty much shutdown for two days this week and I'm not sure if there is any active mining in the area so looking at mining activity might be a far stretch.
edit on 15/2/14 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join