It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake in the Carolinas just now?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Im in Gastonia, NC and felt it....my first earthquake!!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
It's interesting to me how different people's experiences are, even in the same area. I saw several people on FB (after my screenshot) saying they felt it and asking others to confirm. I asked my cousin who lives about 10 min from me and he didn't notice. No one in this house but me noticed, either.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
AJC breaking news alert shows epicenter just east of August, Ga. Shakes Atlanta.

Felt nothin here in NE Ga, just below Athens.

Here is a link page, so far:

inagist.com...

Says at one point was downgraded to 4.1

Not surprised at all. We have a fault line just there, and when we have a lot of rain (read melting snow and ice) it tends to lube up that fault line and set off small quakes. Infrequent, but it does occur.

Fun times!

edit on 14-2-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by duke396

Well, if people are moving about or driving, it makes it more difficult to notice.
edit on 2/14/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

right, I just mean those of us who happened to be seated and doing whatever. I'm actually surprised I heard the rumble at all with my headphones on. At first I thought it was something in the show I was watching but looking back it was definitely lower than anything they should have / could have been playing.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
In Columbia, SC, it was pretty strong, at least by East coast standards. I have felt a lot of very small quakes but never heard the rumble like this one. I heard it before I felt it. The rumble sound started (thought it was jets) then, felt it. Like someone else said, there was a definite side to side shaking. Very cool.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Over 2500 people have reported feeling the quake on the USGS Did you feel it? page.

All of you who live in the region should give a report. It helps with the science. Even if you didn't feel it.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sprtpilot

Dang! I didn't hear a rumble...we had rain and a bit of wind moving through at the time.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by duke396

Hey bud, I'm just 30 mi south of Monroe/SC state line and I felt it - and posted in the Quake watch thread

Ok something is going on here in SC; the whole ass-end of my trailer just shook like the washer was off tilt and it ain't on folks. Thought at first it was snow falling off roof, but a check local helios Hodge SC Pauline SC showed it's more than that!. Be back in a minute with screen caps; haven't seen anything yet on USGS. Master folkworm page for all SC helos

Kudos to you for starting a thread

Here's Bird SC heliogram

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Lots of dams in the region.
Makes me a bit nervous, given the definitive side to side action.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Hey thanks for the link, I've actually never seen that before since this is such a rare thing for us. Made my report.

reply to post by SCGrits

Thanks for checking in! That sounds pretty much like what I felt. I don't think I mentioned what I felt other than the jumping around comment, but you could have fooled me blaming the washing machine.
edit on 14-2-2014 by duke396 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Heh-reason for those dams---can you say Duke Power's nuclear power plants?!!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Has anyone out there happened to record the RUMBLING and or movement? Hope to see it up on YT!

I've been thru quakes both in NYC and her in SO CAL but never heard a rumbling. Just a whole lotta shakin/rockin goin on.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SCGrits

Yeah, don't remind me I have family employed at the Catawba station. (Maybe that means I'll be early in the know if something were to... deviate from the norm lol)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
earthquake-report.com...

Bunch of location linked descriptions. (below the map)

Georgia - Woke son, shake and wall creaked Bolingbroke,
GA - A couple of seconds of slight shaking
Woodstock - Not strong enough to knock anything off a shelf but enough to be disconcerting.
Lexington - House shook for approximately 15 seconds. No rattling glass or anything to that degree.
augusta - Shook entire hotel building for about 10 seconds
Grovetown - Felt a small shake, I thought it was my cat jumping on my computer chair at first.
athens - Felt the chair I was in move like a snake

Langley - For about 45 mins before it happened my dogs were pacing and whining and would't relax and lay down. ...
-interesting.
edit on Fri Feb 14 2014 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

As close as I can describe it, the earthquake was like 10 - 15, VC-22 Ospreys (A USMC VTOL) traveling at about 1500 feet, and are in a straight line traveling directly over your house and the Ospreys are strung out at about 1/4 mile from each other going over one at a time. vibrating and shaking at the same time.

In fact, thats what I thought it was at first.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jbird

Thanks for the link. Now that you mention (or, quote about) dogs, when I said something to my mom about this she told me one of her dogs was acting strange and went outside and the neighbor's dogs were barking. None of this is unusual by itself of course.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I have lots of family in and around Greenville, SC reporting that they felt it, They said it was strong enough to rattle the dishes.

My cousin posted this, LOL

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlight

How odd

This is a suspicious quake!

NC military base where they do/did undeground experiments aint far from the epicenter which is in southern SC

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Which base would that be? Army/Navy/AF? Just curious.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join