It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does ATS have a grudge against IE?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Just wondering myself. But anyone here has seen ATS actively promoting FireFox and the ever evil Chrome.

I’m seeing all sorts of glitches in IE while on ATS. But when using Chrome on other websites, I see still see glitches.

Why am I being punished? Is IE less prone to spying…or maybe moreso?

It’s getting to be a Apple vs. MS kind of thing again.

Heck, my Dad is even on the bandwagon, and I thought I would never see that. He's now a Apple fanatic.

I like them both...but c'mon...really?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

If govt and such want to spy, it doesn't matter what browser you use - your internet traffic is still being stolen and stored in a database so i don't see either being less prone to spying.

However, chrome and firefox simply put outperform the crapfest that is IE. both applications are superior by every aspect lol. i personally LOVE being able to add all kinds of plugins/themes/addons that i want and definitely enjoy the the responsiveness of both chrome and firefox.

I've got a super high end pc i built...i'd wager its head and shoulders above most here and still i have tons of lag when trying to launch ie or even load a basic webpage. Meanwhile on chrome i have 20 tabs open and could "crash" chrome and re-open all 20 tabs instantly

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I design websites for a living. Please allow me to make a couple of comments:

1. MSIE royally sucks. It's a little better now than previous versions, but MS, at some point, said, "Web standards? We are the web," and decided to do things their own way. I've heard, so many times, "It doesn't work in Internet Explorer," when it worked on every other browser? (I work on Linux, so often don't even test on MSIE). I just don't design specifically for MSIE, unless a client wants to pay extra.
2. "Evil Google"? Come on, do you actually believe that MS is any better? You can't be that naive!

edit on 14-2-2014 by incoserv because: typo

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

ActiveX controls. Hate them. To be honest though I have no idea if IE even uses them anymore. Not going to bother checking as FF seems just fine.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

It's not us.

You see, IE hates itself.

IE is a cutter. For some reason or another, it has NO self esteem and it simply won't take any of the various counseling the internet has tried to give it seriously.

Hell even Microsoft says it's in and out of rehab at least once a month.

So, it's done it to itself. Nobody trusts an addict. And with so many back doors and terrible decisions being made by it daily, it's no wonder the market share has plummeted.

There's still hope that it could bring itself out of the throes of addiction and become a productive member of the internet. However it doesn't seem likely, considering all the help we've thrown at it, that's been ignored.

You can only cry wolf so many times.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

because IE bullied Ats on the playground when they were kids! Pay back is a (^*%^)*%%)!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

It's been a couple of years since I used IE ever since I started using Chrome

But just 2 days ago, I swapped over and am trying Firefox for the first time due to problems with Chrome freezing among other little things

So far, there hasn't been any problems yet that I can say about FF, other than learning my way around it
And luckily it imported all my bookmarks from Chrome so I didn't loose anything

Seems like I remember someone shortly after ATS 5.3 started stating that IE wasn't compatible with the new changes
I may be wrong, so don't hold me to it

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I've used all three with no problems. But then again, I'm just a netizen. I don't use any for work. Just entertainment.

But lately, the ATS site is having problems with IE. OK...no biggie. I can switch to Chrome or Firefox.

I guess the problem is that I grew up on IE and find the others a bit confusing.

It's a slow process, but I am learning them.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I had to either remove chrome or go nuts.
I've had no problems since.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Yeah, yeah. I've been a web developer, too. Big deal. There is a lot of silly prejudice against IE. It works just fine, including on ATS. Once in a very great while I find a site where IE won't work and I have to use an alternative browser, but that's very rare. Any time anything gets big, or rich, or in some sort of dominant position (The USA, Microsoft, Texas, [insert your favorite bad boy here], it brings out the trolls. In my own tests none of the other browsers are notable faster than MSIE. Indeed, some others take twice as long to load. Of course, there are so many variables here that it's difficult to pin down issues lots of times. I still use it because it has the best built-in RSS feed of any browser out there, so all things considered it makes my life easier. If some other browser emulated IE on this I might be motivated to switch, but it just doesn't matter that much.

Now try to run Flash on Safari and see what happens. And the ONLY reason for that is somebody's attitude.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

They are part of the conspiracy.
Best kept secret on ATS.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The only reason I use IE is to download Chrome on a fresh install or new computer. Chrome>Safari or Firefox>Anything>IE in my experience. I've heard murmurings that the latest IE is actually quite good though. For me it's more about the layout than anything else.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Admittedly, I have a prejudice against IE. Every time MS updates IE, my phone starts ringing because my business customers can no longer access vendor, and other websites that were fine before the update. However, of those customers I have using FF or Chrome, updates never seem to bother them.

I personally, have few problems with IE, but when I have, I usually find out those problems aren't there in the other browsers. However...If you want IE to run halfway decent, it needs to be set up properly. Just like Windows, it needs to be tweaked. Turn off Hardware Acceleration, disable active-x controls you don't need. Make sure the ones you do need are installed and enabled. DON'T USE TOOLBARS! None. Zip. Nada! Turn off Compatibility view(forever), Turn off Accelerators, Smart screen filter, and more. (Note this is just my way of setting it up. I'm not recommending it to anyone else.) Having said that. I also tweak Firefox and Chrome, but not near as much, because it isn't necessary.

BTW. Ask SO his opinion of IE. lol.
edit on 2/14/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
IE sucks for development and it's often the last browser checked by us devs, if it's checked at all. It's seriously awful on an epic level because stuff that works in literally every other browser mysteriously won't in IE and it can take hours to get it resolved. Chrome and Firefox both work great plus their fast and have the tools we need to do our jobs.

I run Ubuntu (Linux) and so IE testing means opening Windows in VirtualBox - and that's the last thing I do before handing the project over to a client. I do it begrudgingly too because it's my least favorite part of the job.

As far as government spying, the NSA is tapped into the tier 1 pipe and have the ability to instantly crack all modern ssl certs. They don't need backdoors into the browser. I think the bigger concern for spying is Skype which has camera access and is owned by Microsoft. It's available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and I believe iPhone. It has become the leading app for text, voice and video chat. Some of the Snowden docs showed how deeply Microsoft is involved with the NSA and has been for many years. All of that together, to me, spells trouble.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   

As a web developer this is my thought:

The Web itself has a grudge against IE.

If you don't like Chrome. Try Opera. Though it uses the same scripting engine.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I don't know about anyone else, but the only time I ever had problems with IE is when I had Norton or McAfee as my antivirus. Get rid of those and use the Windows built in antivirus and IE works at lightning speeds for me. What's more it's that if there are any issues Microsoft sends updates for free for the life of the computer, plus they are pretty quick about it. Also you should regularly do disc cleanup and disk fragment on your computer and IE will work good. Also keep in mind that Microsoft programs work well with other Microsoft programs, Android programs work well with Google protocols, and Apple programs work well with Apple products.
edit on 15-2-2014 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2014 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Why hate IE? Internet Explorer makes it hard on developers.

I used to work with a company that always were fixing bugs with IE - the problem is that they use components (such as modal dialogs), that don't comply with the web standards that most of the other browsers do. Plus, if you want the conspiracy end of things - try to remove IE 100% from your computer - it's ingrained into your OS.

When I was a pure web developer - I always made sure that my sites functioned as intended on Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and IE last. The reason? All of the other browsers generally rendered the site as it was needed. And, as an added bonus - think about which browsers are being used on mobile devices. While IE is most popular for computers, I'm pretty sure that all the IPhones are using FF/Chrome/Safari, and Android devices are using Chrome as a default. Point being that when you design for the web, you need to take into consideration the devices accessing the website - if 90% of the browsers out there support my site, and only IE makes it look funky, I wouldn't change my site unless I was forced to.

-fossilera

new topics

top topics

join