It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A steady flow of talented, industrious immigrants can fuel a booming economy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I can believe that this is an American and that he even cares for American Job security.

I have experience and I am willing to do the work for a fair wage I have been unemployed for a year now and yet this guy wants the US to ok immigration for people from outside to come and fill jobs many Americans are willing to do.

WASHINGTON — In a global economy, investment follows talent. When we draw top talent to our shores, investment dollars follow because companies want to be near the best workers. An infusion of capital and economic development will be a tide that lifts all boats, creating jobs and opportunity for all Americans. But the reverse is also true. If companies can't find talent on U.S. soil, or if it becomes too costly and burdensome, they will move their operations elsewhere. It's in our own best interests to welcome the world's brightest minds and hardest workers into our economy. Immigrants can help bridge a growing skills gap in science, technology, engineering and math - the so-called STEM fields that are vital to a modern, competitive economy. Read more here:

here is the link Immigrant fuel

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

Investment follows CHEAP LABOR.. proven fact!

when there are close to 100 millions Americans looking for a decent job..

How in the world can immigrants help? other than pushing wages EVEN lower?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Talent deficit is mostly a myth in the US.

As someone familiar with the tech sector and H1B visas, it's basically high tech indentured servitude.

They pay immigrants less and because of the H1B rules, it is difficult to leave a position or you risk deportation. The unspoken rule of thumb is they work crazy hours and are afraid of getting laid off or they have to go back to where they came from.

There is some merit to talent deficit but it's because of the H1B system that college majors are shifting. It has nothing to do with ability of Americans in my experience.

It's simply another way to sell out US citizens to profit hungry corporate machines. You know; "the winners", trickle down, yada yada. It's all a PR snow job.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

And that is a fact jack. They need to worry about the people who live here because charity starts at home. I am not 100% against immigration but there needs to be some checks and balances. Why don't you put Americans to work building up those countries they are fleeing from. We might make some friends because we are about to lose a few and have lost some already. Working together to solve problems is always a better way to approach things. We can create more consumers that way. It would be a win win. Bring some work back from China while we are at it. Let's start making things again and building up our country back to 1950 levels. I wish I had all the answers. I can only give my opinion and I'm sure some people can show me how my plan is a failed idea.

I think they are trying to demonize immigrants for some reason. Trying to get you mad so you'll play ball with the next agenda they force feed on us. See, if I start looking for the bad, only the bad is what will be found. It doesn't help matters. What is best for everyone in this situation? Turn away human beings for the prosperity of our own? Create laws to prevent slave wages or the cutting of pay. Get a check on it before you get checked right the hell out of your own country. There is so much to take into consideration, it's mind boggling really.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Apparently, there is one sector of the US workforce that could use an infusion of talent: competent spin doctors. The people writing this tripe can't even come up with a semi-reasonable sounding argument to support their agendas. At least throw in a bogus poll showing that a majority of Americans support bringing in more immigrants to take jobs. Hire an unknown actor to say how happy he is to spend more time with his family now that he doesn't have to go to that annoying job.

I guess they are so sure of this upcoming amnesty program they aren't even going to bother trying to sell it.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Oh yes, I can see why the U.S. needs this! It's not like there's tons of unemployed people that need a job! (Sarcasm)

How about you strengthen your core first? Make education cheaper and more accessible to the masses. With less jobs means less Americans are getting paid and can afford school in the first place.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I might agree with him if he is talking about legal immigrant's, at least we know they have honesty to offer if nothing else.

I have to wonder how many talented and bright minded people are here illegally and coming across the border illegally ? The thing we do know about them is that they are dishonest with no respect for another country's law's.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

We need to take of of our own citizens first. The whole "we need talent" excuse is a fabrication. Mostly just a scam by big corporations to flood the labor market with low wage earners.

Record Number Of College Graduates Live In Their Parents' Basement

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Yea because they've been doing wonders for us so far

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Qualified or not I move that we give them the Governmental jobs in Washington.

Why? Well they simply couldn't sell this country out any faster then those clowns in Washington are currently doing. We simply need a new Government not one that comes from money rich pricks to begin with. They don't have a clue what this country needs.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by VaultBoy

I feel you. I had to call Comcast for tech support and was entertained by some Indian fellow who I could not understand. They really do not care about their customers only their money. Too bad they are about to monopolize cable as we know it. I'll drop my cable to internet only and hurt their bottom line. They better hope some high speed internet doesn't spring up around here because I will not be alone dropping them like a bad habit.

Self employed and don't care about it in the least bit. If I grow and need to hire people, I will not be hiring illegals. I'll hire the best person for the job. Why would you work for someone with no soul? Let their company die a slow painful death and laugh.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by LOSTinAMERICA

I got you beat on that. Same company had the bundle and lost the internet. Called them up after a couple of tries I really was being lazy not wanting to shut everything down.

In the end I had to teach him how to fix the issue, for some reason he had been taught that leaving everything unplugged would fix the problem. I was like WHAT111

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

Talent deficit is mostly a myth in the US.

As someone familiar with the tech sector and H1B visas, it's basically high tech indentured servitude.

They pay immigrants less and because of the H1B rules, it is difficult to leave a position or you risk deportation. The unspoken rule of thumb is they work crazy hours and are afraid of getting laid off or they have to go back to where they came from.

There is some merit to talent deficit but it's because of the H1B system that college majors are shifting. It has nothing to do with ability of Americans in my experience.

It's simply another way to sell out US citizens to profit hungry corporate machines. You know; "the winners", trickle down, yada yada. It's all a PR snow job.

I don't really have much to add to this - you're spot-on.

Not every employer abuses H1B's - but enough do, which tends to suppress salaries and opportunities for everyone. Add to that the out-sourcing practices of the last 20 years, and you're right, many college students are very skeptical of STEM careers.

First the corporations murdered much of the IT jobs starting in the 90's, outsourcing all of their programming work to India, etc. Then they complain about a "talent deficit" in the US, as no one can, or wants to, compete with an overseas programming factory that can pay their workers what amounts to the poverty line in the US.

And the so-called problem isn't all that real - there are plenty of Americans who can fill these jobs. But there are two reasons they don't:

- Many tech job descriptions call for very specific technical experience. Let's say, for example, that I'm an expert in Palo Alto firewalls - an employer who wants someone experienced in Checkpoint probably won't hire me, they'll keep looking for that Checkpoint expert - fair enough. And they won't be able to find anyone, or at least no one they're willing to pay.

- But they won't cross-train me (or anyone else) into that product/job, either. Yet they'll happily hire an H1B with fewer qualifications, and *will* pay to train them. Why? Because of what was said above - they can't leave - they're hostages, if they get laid-off, or fired, they have to leave the country. So, even though the paperwork of H1B is a chore, they can invest in their little indentured servant, pay them below-market wages, and have confidence that they'll never leave for higher wages, or better working conditions - because they can't.

There are plenty of Americans who can do these jobs - but need specialized cross-training. But employers won't train American workers, because they may take that new knowledge, and find a better job.

Open-borders supporters are the lucky few who've benefited from cheap labor, like those who'll hire illegal immigrant labor for $5/hour, and haven't themselves had their careers and livelihoods damaged by reduced opportunities and lower wages from imported labor.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Wasn't it the immigrant that made America what is is today?

I believe that we need to fix our education system, or go back to educating our children ourselves, and concentrate on teaching the next generations skills that are useful. What happened to trade schools?

Unfortunately, we push our kids in to Universities where they learn how to balance while doing a keg-stand and not teaching them what they need to compete in the world. Other nations educate their young people and that is why the immigrant worker may be more attractive than the average American college graduate.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

sheepslayer247
Wasn't it the immigrant that made America what is is today?

I hear that said a lot, but more often, it's the children or grand-children, or great-great-grandchildren, etc, etc, that "made America what it is today." An equally valid expression would be "Slavery made America what it is today."

I believe that we need to fix our education system, or go back to educating our children ourselves, and concentrate on teaching the next generations skills that are useful. What happened to trade schools?

However you view it, the message is "Go to college, or work minimum wage for the rest of your lives." It's a shame we've destroyed the reputation of trade schools - not everyone is cut out for college, or will benefit from it. Being a carpenter, an electrician, a mechanic, a plumber, etc, etc - these are well-paying jobs, but getting trained in them is very difficult, because there are very few resources devoted to this, as compared to college.

Unfortunately, we push our kids in to Universities where they learn how to balance while doing a keg-stand and not teaching them what they need to compete in the world. Other nations educate their young people and that is why the immigrant worker may be more attractive than the average American college graduate.

I disagree - the kids who went to college with my kid are working on advanced degrees in medicine, physics, astrophysics, law, chemistry, economics and more. There are some brilliant kids out there - for every keg-stand major, there are more getting real degrees.

You can't really compare those international achievement tests that show how stupid American kids are without recognizing that the "average" includes children of immigrants who can barely speak English (the local elementary school here is 70% ESL, and failing badly on achievement tests - the same elementary school that, for example, produced someone I know who's working on their MD/PhD at Johns Hopkins) and sub-cultures that have a marked antipathy towards educational achievement. If we had a nice, homogenous culture like Japan's, pretty sure we'd be producing at far more impressive levels.

Our top students do just fine, thank you - the number of patents granted to the US is consistently #1 or #2 in the world. And just for illustration, in 2008-2009, some 20,000 chemistry/chemical engineering BS degrees were awarded, and some 3,500 PhD's by US colleges. That's a shortage?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Not true, it's cheaper to pay a foreigner who has the same credentials. They are willing to work for less.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
It would be nice if it were tallented, industrious immigrants instead of dope dealers.
Here in Arizona we get nothing but the dregs of Mexico. Drug smugglers and criminals...all passed off by the O-stupid administration as, well, his kin folk...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
funny thing is in this country we have to call them immigrants or undocumented foreign nationals or refugees. go live someplace else and they call them "invaders" ! I guess the OP's point is that people who come here from other countries are doing so because they want to make the USA as good as say, venezuela or somalia, or saudi arabia. Yeah. thanks a bunch.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
There is no skills gap in the STEM fields, this is a bold faced lie, and so are most of the fields that they talk about Americans not wanting. Americans are perfectly willing to work in factories and in construction, and they're even willing to do it for the wages that a lot of immigrants, illegal and not, get paid. Companies just don't want to have to pay the taxes and benefits, though.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

amfirst1

Not true, it's cheaper to pay a foreigner who has the same credentials. They are willing to work for less.

because they qualify for benefits not avail to the native people.

Did you know immigrants dont have to pay taxes for 3 years on a business?

AND qualify for loans and grants that the citizens cant access?

Food stamps for a family of 4 is over $500 a month! alone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join