It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government to 11-year-old: "shut down your cupcake 'business'"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
‘THE RULES ARE THE RULES’: Government shuts down 11-year-old’s cupcake business.

The government has pulled the plug on an 11-year-old Illinois baker’s oven. A day after a local newspaper ran a story about the young and ambitious Chloe Stirling, who operated a cupcake business out of her parents’ kitchen, the local health department came calling. “They called and said they were shutting us down,” Heather Stirling, Chloe’s mother, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Officials told Stirling Chloe could continue selling cupcakes on the condition that the family “buy a bakery or build her a kitchen separate from the one we have.”

So, what about bake sales, are those illegal too?

Lets not forget about pot luck dinners. No money is exchanging hands, but food is still being made for public consumption...

Much like the bloated US police force, government has grown so big, that they have nothing to do. They are now hunting down everyone in order to justify their own useless existence.

Her largest order ever, amounting to 220 cupcakes, was also for a cancer fundraiser.

On the other hand, 220 cupcakes is pretty significant. If I'm a baker on the next block who has to be licensed, insured and have a place of business, I might be a little pissed.

Regardless, things are way out of hand.

I guess its too cold to hunt down those terrorist lemonade stands.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I really can't find any words for this kind of stupidity. I'd rather just look at the officers who shut this down and repeat "Bah bah bah bah bah" until they inevitably beat me to death before listening to some ridiculous justification for this.

Good to know our oh-so educated and loyal police force are out there putting an end to those treacherous 11-year old bake sales. It's only a matter of time before one of them emerged to be a radical terrorist cell.

What the hell is wrong with America?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

RomeByFire

Rampant Liberalism/Progressiveism. When we refuse to think for ourselves and allow the "nanny state" to do our thinking, we are going to regret it. Centralized collectivism, hallmarks of progressives everywhere, uses a one size fits all approach. Unfortunately, in the real world, one size does not fit all. Except prison cells.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

If I'm a baker on the next block who has to be licensed, insured and have a place of business, I might be a little pissed.

I think I would find you in the wrong here. You should want to ENCOURAGE her, help her.
If I was a local baker and read that story, I'd invite her into the store and show her the baker trade, you might inspire her

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The cops are just mad because she wasn't making cupcakes for them ...

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Couldn't have the little darling learning about capitalism and free markets could we? I mean, if she grew up to have an entrepreneurial mindset and all ... why, she might not grow up to another state-supported and dependent Julia.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Seems open and shut to me......she isnt paying taxes, she is therefore not lining a politicians, or any of his cronies pockets, she is therefore a direct threat to "their" control, she must be stopped at all costs, this is what all those taxes are paid for after all. lining the politicians or their cronies pockets, it isnt like "they exist to serve to little guy" or somthing.

In the words of William Wallace " you think these people exist to provide you with possession, you exist to provide these people with freedom!"

Freedom......freedom from thought? Or freedom from them and their stupidy?............I do think on this subject from time to time, I havent yet figured out which one "the people" really want. I mean these idiots keep getting elected after all, so we that disapprove are obviously the minority, which means the former, when the latter is soo much better for everyone.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

edit on 2/15/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

If you haven't figured it out yet, you never will.

At least in my neck of the wood, we don't have such nonsense. People here cook things at home and sell to people all the time, no problem. Street venders cooking and selling, no license or permit required, even the police are customers. Sad to say but your all messed up and you think you have freedom, NOT!

That young lady needs to move to where such activity is encouraged which mean out of the US. She could be the next Mrs. Fields with cupcakes and cookies.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

ketsuko
Couldn't have the little darling learning about capitalism and free markets could we? I mean, if she grew up to have an entrepreneurial mindset and all ... why, she might not grow up to another state-supported and dependent Julia.

the cops on the take gave her a choice and she turned them down so they sent in the big dogs

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Very biased opinions here. No single individual without a license should be able to distribute food, no matter the age or the food being sold. It is rather about health risks and the lack of oversight that makes a simple looking muffin a potential threat to the well being of another person. Don't forget that anyone who wants to sell food needs to follow strict hygiene standards and needs to make sure (with the oversight of the authorities) that the ingredients hold up to the quality so it is save to consume.

Just imagine if someone gets sick from eating a muffin that was not well baked or had ingredients that went well over the date of expiry?!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

Do you feel the same way about lemonade stands?

Everyday many people get food poisoning in the US from a restaurant even though they have those hygiene standards and licenses. Processed food that is sold at a grocery store has standards that allow for a level of insect parts and even rodent fecal matter in the food that has been declared 'safe' to eat.

These standards do little to keep people safe, for the most part they are just another way for a business to be taxed and fined for non-compliance. These standards have only been in place for a few decades, for thousands of years people prepared and cooked their own food and food related illnesses were never a problem.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Exactly.

I can't count how many times I have been in a restaurant and a cockroach (or three) have scurried past me. Yet, they still are allowed to serve food.......as long as they line the politicians...err....I mean pay their taxes.

new topics

top topics

join