It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Gas Pipeline Explosion in Kentucky last night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Three homes, two barns and as many as six vehicles caught fire after the blast, he said. Two of the three homes were destroyed. Two people received non-life threatening injuries and were transported to an area hospital.

source

image source(taken 20 miles away)

People reported feeling the blast as far as 30 miles away.

This took place in Adair County, KY, about 100 miles south of Louisville. This was a 30 inch pipeline owned by Columbia Gulf Transmission. Luckily no one was killed.

Only one day earlier and about 70 miles away, a sinkhole opened up under the Corvette museum.

There was another explosion 2 years ago in Eskill County, KY; the pipeline was owned by Columbia Gulf Transmission.
ATS thread

Guess what?
There is a controversial proposal to build the 526-mile long Bluegr ass Pipeline across the karst geology of the state to link the fracking fields of Pennsylvania to the Gulf coast.

Not a great idea IMO.

edit on 2/14/2014 by Olivine because: trying to figure out why the entire bost is bold--weirdness

edit on 2/14/2014 by Olivine because: add a pic

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I know a lot of the lines used are very old and there are explosions all over the place it seems. We had a small gas line explosion in East Texas last night as well.

Back in 1937 we had one of the worst gas line explosions in the nation here in East Texas. New London school blew up and killed 300 students....the town has never recovered. I drive thru there a lot for work and it feels like a sad place. Weird.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by BugOut

That is really sad.

I get that we need the oil and gas moved from the fields to the refineries. I just wish we as a country required tighter safety and environmental controls on the energy industry. They are the most profitable companies in the world, and can spare a few bucks to make their business operations less likely to harm the citizens or the land.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I wonder if any fracking is going on nearby. That would be interesting to know. If fracking unsettled the earth. That is kinda what fracking does right?

30 inch round gas line is big. I dont know the pressure but still huge. Your typical gas stove has a 1/2 inch line.

I seriously wonder if fracking is involved. The link said the pipe was 30 feet underground
So it didnt blow up underground. The gas escaped, made contact with an ignition source (above ground) in mho and blew.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

The company who owns the pipeline issued a statement that stated:

At approximately 2:05 this morning, Columbia Gulf Transmission LLC operating teams detected a drop in pressure on the company’s Line 200 pipeline in Adair County, Ky.

source

I don't know if that drop in pressure happened before the explosion or during the explosion.

No fracking in the nearby vicinity that I can find.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Hmmm,
sounds like a perfectly good reason to raise natural gas prices

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The sinkhole that stole the vets and the explosions lately may be related in my mind. Maybe the ground all over there is liquifying for some reason. Just an illogical guess, since I have not researched what caused the explosions, the sinking ground pulls on gas lines.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Sometimes its not a conspiracy or a cover up. Sometimes # happens. A 30 inch gas line...

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Wouldn't be surprised if it was corrosion leading to a failure.

I think the biggest problem is you have unodorized gas in the linepack and even after you get to operate the gate valves on that section, 10 miles of gas at 600-1000 psi is a lot of gas.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Your guess is pretty close, rickymouse. The land is slowly dissolving.

There is a lot of limestone and some dolostone under Kentucky. These rocks contain calcium carbonate. As slightly acidic rainwater percolates downward it dissolves the limestone, forming voids, sinkholes, and cave systems.

Where is Karst country in Kentucky?
edit on 2/14/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

There is a conspiracy theory that maybe it is domestic Islamic terrorist causing all this but it is not doing enough to cause to many problems.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Maybe soon ya all might figure it out!

ChesterJohn
reply to post by Olivine

There is a conspiracy theory that maybe it is domestic Islamic terrorist causing all this but it is not doing enough to cause to many problems.

Ice Cold

BugOut
I know a lot of the lines used are very old and there are explosions all over the place it seems. We had a small gas line explosion in East Texas last night as well.

Cold....these lines that are exploding are both new and old.

tinner07
I wonder if any fracking is going on nearby. That would be interesting to know. If fracking unsettled the earth. That is kinda what fracking does right?

Warm

rickymouse
The sinkhole that stole the vets and the explosions lately may be related in my mind. Maybe the ground all over there is liquifying for some reason. Just an illogical guess, since I have not researched what caused the explosions, the sinking ground pulls on gas lines.

Getting warmer

if you look back over the past two years you'll see that this area...KY, TN, AR over to east TX and over to Virginia is the place with the most animal die-offs, strange noise reports, sonic booms, fireballs, small earthquakes, sinkholes, explosions, etc. From dolphin die-offs off the coast of Virginia to massive fertilizer plant explosions that level half a city.

Kentucky in recent headlines

2.6 quake in western KY

Recent quakes in this area

Loud booms cause for concern

Do a search for loud booms kentucky and you'll see just how often this phenomenon is happening here. Same with quakes, fireballs, explosions and everything else.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
We had the pipeline explosion in Oklahoma / Kansas last year.
We had the power plant in CA sabotaged.

I am curious if these are linked.

I'm also curious if these events are linked to the threat Iran made recently about the US.
On the flip conspiracy side I'm wondering if the gov't will use the incidents as a justification.

new topics

top topics

join