It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Girlfriend is Stranded...HELP

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
As some of you may know, there was a MASSIVE storm that just tore through the northeast leaving us with a TON of snow and ice. This morning on her way to work, my girlfriend was behind the following accident:
Dozens of Cars in Crash on PA Turnpike

Right now, she's stranded on the highway but there were accidents that occurred a mile a head of her, and about 5 miles behind her. This has created an over 10 mile long jam, and there are no estimates as to when it will be cleared.

I don't know what to do! Do I try to locate a road running parallel to that section of the highway and abandon her car until it clears? She's been stranded there for over 6 hours, and everyone's cars have been turned off as there is no end in sight. I know I'm probably over-reacting, but I don't know what to tell her or if there's anything I could/should be doing to try and help / rescue her. Please advise!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
A 10 MILE pile-up in PA?!

My folks in NYC conveyed how the 12 feet of snow only added to what was already there from weeks before.

It does sound like a mini ice age up there, at least this winter. Wonder what the next will like?

Yesterday here in socal it felt like around 90F!

Godspeed to your girlfriend (how far away from her are you???)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
try to drive out there if you want .. just take your time ... your from what PA. you should have snow tires on your car right?

or do you have a snow mobile would work too if you do remember to grab her some warm clothes .

ETA
Funny how some of these states are getting more winter that we are here in many places in Canada ..maybe more should be looking into better tires for the season. Seems more and more frequent that winter keeps creeping further and further south . time to start preparing your cars for such evens summer tires just don't do anything on snow or icy roads .
edit on 14/2/14 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Every truck driver is required by law to provide shelter in such situations.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Is she in danger of freezing to death? Starving to death? or any other sort of mortal peril? I'd say with the fact she has been there for 6 hours that the answer to those questions is no. With that being said, your own course of action is to wait for the accidents to be cleared up. It's not like she's in some lawless zone and sitting idle on the side of the highway can invite you to be attacked by outlaws, she's in PA, they'll clear the road eventually. Stop freaking out and start thinking rationally. Don't listen to any advice telling you to drive out there, unless you own a snowmobile, you'll never get there. And if you did, what would you do? Take her away and abandon her car? That would create a bigger mess cause now all the people behind her have to wait for that car to be moved out of the way.
edit on 14-2-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Krazysh0t
Is she in danger of freezing to death? Starving to death? or any other sort of mortal peril? I'd say with the fact she has been there for 6 hours that the answer to those questions is no. With that being said, your own course of action is to wait for the accidents to be cleared up. It's not like she's in some lawless zone and sitting idle on the side of the highway can invite you to be attacked by outlaws, she's in PA, they'll clear the road eventually. Stop freaking out and start thinking rationally. Don't listen to any advice telling you to drive out there, unless you own a snowmobile, you'll never get there. And if you did, what would you do? Take her away and abandon her car? That would create a bigger mess cause now all the people behind her have to wait for that car to be moved out of the way.
edit on 14-2-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

^this
If it were my old lady, I would tell her sit back, relax (smoke a spliff) and wait for the road to clear.
Abandoning her car is bad idea, and you trying to drive out there is a bad idea.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Thats a good question. Knowing the storm was coming she should have gas and therefore heat in her car. Myself, most highways have a service road running parallel. I think, because I am not working atm and have a good 4 wheel drive and lived in MI my whole life would go rescue her.

I say that because that is my personality. Romantic hero. But also because there may be others without supplies. I would stock up on blankets and food and water. and pen and paper....Leave a note on the car. Dont leave rescue workers wondering where the driver went.

Do not become part of the problem. If you dont have 4 wheel drive, stay home. If its your first 4 wheel drive, know it doesnt mean you are invincible.

If you choose to go out, take everything you can for people you cannot rescue

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. I didn't think abandoning her car would be a good idea, but it's all I could think of. It's funny how emotions can cloud your judgement. She has plenty of gas and about a half charge on her phone left. I'm just hoping that they can get this cleared by nightfall. I hate not having any way to help her, it really pisses me off.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Ahabstar
Every truck driver is required by law to provide shelter in such situations.

Super helpful piece of information, thank you!!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

really? I know they have huge fuel tanks and sleeper cabs and such. But by law? Does that mean they have to get out and advertise that fact or just can't deny shelter if somebody asks? That is interesting

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by parad0x122

She should stay in her car. Help will get there. In the meantime its dry and going to be almost 90 here in So Cali today. God forbid we have any fires.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It is Valentines day, combine everybodies answer. Go to her and deliver a box of chocolates, but then leave her there and drive home lol...
Now that is romantic

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
please explain WHY someone would risk travel on freeways when there is really bad weather..
Is your job worth sacrificing personal safety..
Also, sooo many people are so mentally challenged when it comes to common sense and preparing
for potential situations like being stranded in your car.. Those people never think bad things will happen.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

They don't have to advertise, ail you have to do is walk up and ask if they can provide shelter. Say that you are low on gas and don't want to run out while idling to keep warm.

They don't have to provide food or water, but most will share if they have it. They also cannot expect pay nor favors, but may ask for a signed statement to use to write off expenses.

They may or may not offer to radio for a opening in another truck if they are full. Most will.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Wow! I'm so sorry. A prayer for her and all those injured or stranded.

Is she safer in or out of her car?

If the crashes are over and there is an exit and businesses close by she could walk out and seek shelter, as many did here in Atlanta as well as in Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham - as long as she feels her personal safety is not in jeopardy.

And if, not, she should sit tight.

It really depends on the weather conditions, her clothing, shoes, the surroundings, the people close to her in the pile up.

One thing is for sure...she needs to save her cellphone battery for emergency use only.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Thanks for the useful information, said no one ever.

2nd line: if you don't have anything constructive to say, keep it to yourself.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

kurthall
90 here in So Cali today. God forbid we have any fires.

Whatta a HOT treat for Vlentines

Thank you Mother Nature (or Global Warming?)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Thank you again to all of you who posted such helpful suggestions and best wishes/prayers. I just got off of the phone with her and they were finally able to free one of the lanes to start allowing travelers off of the highway. Needless to say, I'll be double checking her emergency survival kit over the weekend in case something like this ever happens again!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Not much you can do except wait it out. the PA turnpike can have a 100 miles between exits, so there may be no alternative. Sounds like this one will have an investigation and that is why it is taking so long.

I don't take the Turnpike without food, water, and blankets in the car, just for this reason.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
So everyone knew a massive storm was on the way, and your girlfriend goes out for a drive... Is she a Blonde

<<   2  3 >>

join