It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Blood and Bullets: Schools Stage Active Shooter Drills

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

bitsforbytes
We used to drill only for fires. Now we have to drill for alien invasions and school shootings.

Only in the USA

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Blackmarketeer

HomerinNC

Okay, tell me about ONE school shooting that an AR-15 or ANY kind of assault rifle that was used, or IED's for that matter
This is ALL a scare tactic, plain and simple

Sandy Hook involved a Bushmaster M4 assault rifle, based on the AR-15. Don't tell me you forgot about Sandy Hook already?

Perhaps they meant a "real" school shooting, meaning one that actually took place...

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by junglimogli

By your definition PENCILS being a part of our culture also, there is no need to educate people because the PENCILS make all the mistakes.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I dunno, I heard there WAS a bushmaster there locked in the trunk of his car, but it wasnt used in the assault

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well they just showed us how all the other "drills" were done, didn't they?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Poop stained fingers. hahaha
I'm going to use that one.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

RedParrotHead
reply to post by Vaedur

Those kids seem old enough to get something valuable from that drill. Drilling in a simulated environment can be helpful IMO. Kids of that age have seen enough simulated gore

Is it about getting something valuable from such a drill or is it about normalising shootings and the reactions by the authorities, the and the media, and desired reactions by the public

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I am glad that I am not the only one that had that kind of thought pop into my mind.... Is that SOP now? Stomp all over injured and dead people when responding? Yeah probably is, pretty sad.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
There were other drills after the Sandy Hook one! Saw this report on a drill that was conducted in East Harlem. And looking at the report I don't think it's a good idea to conduct these drills. Fire Drills and Evacuation Drills yes but Shooter Spree ones are not a good idea!

On the morning of December 18, 2012 administrators at New York City Public School 79 (the Horan School) in East Harlem conducted an entirely unannounced “active shooter drill.” The event, which took place just four days after the high profile Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown Connecticut, terrified the school’s 300 special needs adolescent and young adult students and the 100 teaching and counseling staff members. Ranging in age from 12 to 21, Horan’s largely Hispanic student body contends with an array of mental and emotional disabilities, including autism and cerebral palsy.

Now hold on there hoss! Doing a shooter drill with kids that are already mentally challenged? That's a bit stupid isn't it!

Coming less than one week after the Sandy Hook tragedy, the Horan School hoax drill has left many students and staff members severely traumatized and seeking accountability from administrators. With the exception of a pithy article in the New York Times[1] and a subsequent piece in the online opinion outlet Daily Kos,[2] the story has been exempted from the news cycle in the wake of the exhaustive yet often baffling coverage of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre. As New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg busied himself with calls for tightened gun control measures, no press conferences were held to either condemn the public school’s management or further scrutinize the rationales behind such drills.

Isn't New York state already a Gun Controlled State? Why are all these drills done in States that already have Gun Control measures in place? But regardless I think these drills are un-necessary and traumatic for kids. Talk about screwing up their heads with more BS.

And I wouldn't call Sandy Hook a Tragedy. Sandy Hook was obviously a Drill like this one. There is no evidence to say it was real!

Alongside a dearth of publicly available evidence and an ensuing investigation into Sandy Hook that authorities maintain was carried out by a single estranged young man, the Obama administration and its Congressional allies have proceeded to move forward on far-reaching gun control and mental health-related diktats and legislation as if the investigation itself was entirely consistent and transparent.

There's that 2 words again! "Gun Control". That's what these drills and False Flags are all about! Gun Control. And for some reason they are all done in states that are already Gun Controlled!

Live Shooter Drill Hoax In East Harlem

That's my 2 cents! What do you guys think?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur

These types of events also occur when it comes to Prom season and drinking and driving. We have also done major events where they bring in actors.

The reason this is done, and I see it all the time in these forums, is because people develop this mindset of "well this is what I would do based on that situation". Where the wheels fall off the wagon is when the people making that claim are suddenly faced with the realities of active shooters.

That will include the possibility of dead children, children being the shooters, responding parties being forced to ignore the wounded / dying because a shooter is at large, the presence of blood, people screaming from injuries, people in shock screaming for help etc.

No amount of training can completely prepare a person to deal with those realities. People do not rise to the occasion, they fall back to their level of training.

You prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I guess I would like to know and the article wasn't clear, what the actual purpose of the drill was?

I once participated in an active shooting/hostage scenario (yes it did take place in a school) the participants were not students - The purpose was to have a coordinated training event for police/fire/paramedic and hospital personnel... I heard some lucky peeps got to take life-flight to the hospital...

In any case, it was the first active and coordinated training where all the different pieces came together, rather than one player drilling their part and only pretending the others are there and this makes it valuable, IMHO.

Not sure what the point of the training-scenario is in this article though and staging events like this without an express purpose seems ill-thought out. Not saying that was the case here, but training scenarios work best when everyone is clear on the purpose of the drill.

edit on 15-2-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

LadySkadi
Not saying that was the case here, but training scenarios work best when everyone is clear on the purpose of the drill.

Since you have been involved in these scenarios...

Have you ever had a situation that has gone "by the book" or the "way it occurred in the training".

There is going to be an issue in initial information and what exactly is going on. Sometimes the best training method is chaos. If a person can get to the end of the scenario and understand how unpredictable / quickly things can change, then they learned something that will be useful in the future should an event occur.

What is more successful -
Training people on a situation that is strictly by the book or training people on a situation while reinforcing how quickly things can change. I would go with the second simply because a person who cannot grasp / operate in an unpredictable environment is going to be a detriment to those around them. A person who cant operate because the situation they are in does not match the training they got are not going to be able to rationally think and makes changes on the fly.

The purpose of this drill is an "active shooter in a school".

That line above is pretty much all the info that first responders are going to get. Everything that occurs after that is a fluid situation where facts can quickly become non existent

During a live training session with a hospital in a neighboring city the state observers noticed that the people in a command center from micromanaging everything. The micromanagement was actually effective since people knew what was expected. The wheels came off the wagon when a state observer stated the command center had been compromised by falling debris, taking out several of the VP's who were micromanaging. It took some time for the people to realize their chain of command was gone and had to rely on the immediate supervisory staff to continue.

As an example - The Tornados in Joplin MO a few years back. Of the 2 main hospitals, Mercy took a direct hit, knocking it completely out of service (it wiped out the emergency generators and shifted the foundation close to a foot). The evacuation planning in place never accounted for the hospital itself to be taken out. It only took into account smaller facilities being taken out with injured / patients being transported to their facility.

Luckily there were people present who had prior training from Law Enforcement / Larger Medical Facilities who arranged for patients to be evacuated to Freeman Health. During that process, Mercy Medical staff followed the patients to that facility and continued patient care on the moved patients so it did not stretch medical staff to the breaking point.

From Law Enforcement - out of 3 communication facilities (911), 1 was completely taken out, a second was damaged to the point of being ineffective. The third took over until the state could get an emergency comm center up and going.

Nothing that night went the way it was suppose to according to training. You had police agencies from other states / federal agencies send officers to assist. Due to the size of the area and the construction of the hospital, the mindset was it cant be as bad if it hits because we took into account X, Y and Z.

The moment X, Y and Z occurred, people made changes on the fly. Had it not been for those changes, things would have been a whole lot worse than it was.

Sometimes a chaotic drill can result in training that is better than if it went as planned.
edit on 15-2-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

That town is Kennesaw Georgia. I had drive through and needed a place to say. I was with my gf at the time and parents and wanted to find a place saw I looked on Google, read about Kennesaw and we stayed there. It was super safe and nice. We went out and walked at night and everything.. and we are talking about right outside five points Atlanta 30 or so miles south you wouldn't dare do the same.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I remember when I was in elementary school and maybe middle school (I can't really remember if it was in middle school also, since I went to elementary school on the opposite side of the country.) we had intruder drills. The principle would make an announcement saying there's an intruder. And what we did, was the teacher would lock the door, turn the lights off, cover the little door window, and everyone would huddle towards the least reveling side of the room and be very quite. The principle or another staff member would sometimes walk by and jiggle the door knob, maybe smack the door to try and make someone make a noise. After so long the principle would announce every things clear. That was basically it.

But this? Jeez. That's taking it a little overly far if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   

learnatic

RedParrotHead
reply to post by Vaedur

Those kids seem old enough to get something valuable from that drill. Drilling in a simulated environment can be helpful IMO. Kids of that age have seen enough simulated gore

Is it about getting something valuable from such a drill or is it about normalising shootings and the reactions by the authorities, the and the media, and desired reactions by the public

Exactly are there studies on the effects of these drills? Likely it's too soon. What will happen long term if these are common throughout school districts?
Last year there was a drill local to me, to use as "zombies" instead of living people as victims. While that even brought in some Alt news controversy, the idea was better than this drill.
edit on 15-2-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   

dreamingawake
What will happen long term if these are common throughout school districts?

What eventually happened when the federal government was teaching Drop and Cover in the event of a nuclear explosion back in the day?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Xcathdra
What eventually happened when the federal government was teaching Drop and Cover in the event of a nuclear explosion back in the day?
According to Wiki it ended with the end of the cold war, but as bombs got more and more powerful I think it ended before that, partly because it was given the nickname the "bend over and kiss your ass goodbye" drill, because with the more powerful nukes, hiding under the desk just wasn't going to save you.

I'm glad you brought that up though, so the thin-skinned people who get upset about kids doing a shooting drill can put it in perspective of the kids of yesteryear going through annihilation of humanity drills.

For those not familiar with this, here you go:

Duck and Cover clipped:

edit on 15-2-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

chiefsmom
reply to post by StarlightNine

Seriously?

So, a police officer going into a place where there a children shot, is just going to go through and over the bodies?

How about he/she actually do what they flipping should do????
If there is a child, lying on the ground, STOP AND CHECK ON THEM!!!!!

The last thing a child that has been shot should have to worry about is making sure their hands and arms are tucked up beside their body.

Yes, I can see by the plentitude of exclamation points and caps use, that you are quite mortified by the thought that the first and foremost instinct and duty of SWAT or Police in this kind of situation is to disarm and disable the shooter. So that not only he does not continue the murderous rampage, but also so he does not return to shoot the person again.

I see. Yes, the first responders will have no reason to disable the shooter as their first choice during response.

Certainly it is a personal choice to either see the world as it is or live in the world one wishes it was. However, in choosing the latter, I would say then to the person, they should run. Run as fast as they can now to the hills. As when the apocalypse commences, I give them one hour at best to survive it. And that is being quite generous.

And so, madame, I neither need use caps nor exclamation points nor even a boost of stars to make my point, and to ring the bell of reality. And when I have said what I mean to say, I can leave the issue without regret or further response. I do so now, leaving you to your version of reality. Only wishing you well in the event anything of such nature causes you to see the world as it is.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Xcathdra
The purpose of this drill is an "active shooter in a school".

All of that sounds great and all, and CNN probably has many sold on the idea, but the fact remains that the drill-participants will end up being able to utilize their extensive (and expensive) training i.e. –being involved in an actual "active shooter in a school" scenario; with nearly the same odds as of them waking up in the morning on the first Wednesday in November to find that they were elected to the office of President of The United States (§)

Shouldn't we be training people to:
–triage shark bite wounds?
–defend against invasions of poisonous snakes?
–be better able to dodge falling aluminum buckets?
–avoid catastrophic self-injury whilst handling Nerf™ weaponry on backyard trampolines?

Why do the media and politicians not focus on scarring the gullible with these?

Or California mountain lion attacks??
Or what about all of the preventable highway deaths resulting from Sand-Chigger based driver-distraction Syndrome??

***Just because the talking box in peoples' living rooms have caused them to perceive a greater likelihood of encountering one of those redundantly-named "active shooters", doesn't make it a reality. Doing drills based on a false perception is essentially a manifestation of emotionally-biased thinking; ergo, not logic~

(§) The odds of being elected to the presidency are approximately 1 in 10⁷

edit on 15-2-2014 by 3mperorConstantinE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Call me ignorant, but I don't see that big of a problem with this. Back when I was in school, our "drills" consisted of turning off the lights, locking the doors, and hiding behind objects.

The problem was:
1. When the drill was held (usually), the class I was in would have to hide in the auditorium - Any shooter would be laughing their head off, because not only was the audio room overlooking the auditorium (with no glass), but it was only accessible from the outside.

2. Our class could have survived better (were this kind of situation happening) outside in the woods, or by climbing a 1 story ladder into the old prop room (not only were the walls cement, but the ladder was the only way up - there's no way a shooter would have been able to climb and shoot with heavy objects raining down on them).

3. Everyone considered the drills a joke - I mean, a shooter is going to know that you're in there when all the doors have a glass partition, and all rooms have a nice wide row of windows where everything can be seen.

In this case, I would much rather have a live demo than have a bunch of people run around and not know what to do.

What prepares people more? Handing them a book saying "When you see them, make sure to hide", or seeing someone and being told to hide? I learned this the hard way with driver's ed: They never actively showed us how to get out of a skid, or how to get out of a slide in the winter; they told us what to do instead. Well, when I got into my first one, all the written words on how regain control of the car did me no good - in the odd slowness of time, I went back to three basic survival concepts:
1. Let go of the gas and brakes.
2. Stay away from other cars.
3. Aim for the ditch, and hope that the car stays upright.

In a similar light - these kids don't have any exposure to this kind of violence. Even if they never experience it in real life, it's better that they see and witness what can happen. It's not a "oh guns are evil" exercise, but rather a "remember, this can happen, so be prepared" exercise.

-fossilera

PS: At my old workplace - we had to get "live" training on this - Point to our training was that anywhere could experience this at any moment, and it was better to be a "prepper" than to assume everything works out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join