It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perkins: The Rich Should Get More Votes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

There are many solutions we could implement that could fix the problems of our country (keep in mind that it ran just fine for the first 200 or so years), giving more power to the rich isn't one of them. It isn't even worth entertaining that idea. We already know what the rich will do if given more power. They are already trying to do it with the limited power that they currently have, but just look at the Middle Ages and how the elite treated the lower classes.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

The furtrhest id go is say only tax payers can vote. BUT thats still only 1 vote per tax payer. So a poor working class tax payer still gets the same vote as a rich tax payer.

But to give more votes to those with more money? It wont end well.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by teamcommander

I think a much better system would be to only allow those of "TRUE" American decent to vote. I am not wealthy but my family has been here since before the United States was formed. Actually, I can document members of the family who fought along side of Washington in the French-Indian wars.

If someone was here before America formed, doesn't calling them "TRUE" Americans seem a little oxymoronic?

If you mean peoples who were here before Europeans deserve more say instead of being repressed, then ok I'd agree.

Although throughout multiple generations, a hell of a lot of bad apples can fall off the branches of the family tree regardless of lineage.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Unity_99
The rich are the evil ones, who are running filthy technology, exhortion, abusing workers, ie they believe they're allowed slaves, the business is their dream and makes them enough for homes and wealth, but in reality it would only be a small middle class business if they weren't exhorting the energies of others and shorting their wage. That is the whole way business works. Its slavery and just being like that, dealing with the other criminals makes you a very dark hat unless you're buying land for the homeless and working for everyone's own ethical businesses, and setting up businesses for the poor and handicapped run by ethical real family or adopted mentors of the community that will raise them above the poverty line, ie putting your money into others. If you're not doing really good things for people and equalizing in your community and running a completely ethical clean advanced hero type business that pays profit sharing, ie everyone makes a good wage, like a team, then you're not someone who can talk about votes at all.

I think they should be prohibited from voting and a good spot of jail in store myself.
edit on 14-2-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

I'm guessing youre about 19 and in college currently, is that correct?

Your post reeks of nothing but class envy and is indicative you have zero actual experience in the business world.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

crazyewok

teamcommander

I think a much better system would be to only allow those of "TRUE" American decent to vote.

So only allow the natives to vote?

Great idea
I like it, give the USA back to the people you stole it from

Not a fan of history are you?

In order for something to be stolen, it must first be owned. Indians didnt believe in the idea of ownership of the land.

Try again, but with a little intelligence thrown in next time.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

Don't be foolish, if you get 1 vote for every dollar you pay in taxes the rich would still EASILY out pace even the middle class that pays taxes. 30% of 50,000 is 15,000. 30% of 50,000,000 is 15,000,000. That is 1000 times the voting power of that person. Throw a few rich people together (especially the ones making billions a year) and their voting power would FAR outstrip any other social class' voting power. Not to mention with the growing income equality gap, as time goes on it would get worse and worse (and you better believe that the rich would implement rules and laws to speed the growth of that gap up). Keep in mind that with the numbers I just gave you, in order for the middle class to trump the voting power of the one rich person with the voting power in my example, you would need 1000 people paying $15,000 in taxes. We have trouble having the couple hundred in Congress to agree let alone 1000 people all sharing the same opinion.

Seriously, do the damn math, this is by far the dumbest, stupidest, and most misguided idea I've ever read. And someone who isn't rich to even suggest it is beyond silly. Just hand the reins of the government to them, then they don't have to hide the fact they own the government, they can just be public about it.

Our country was founded for equality for all, not for whoever has the most money.
edit on 14-2-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

I never stated I supported the idea of more votes for the wealthy, I simply said the power to vote at all should be reserved for those who actually pay an income tax. I agree 100% that the idea of more votes for the wealthy is absurd, however there is nothing wrong with restricting voting to those who actually contribute.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

doubletap

Krazysh0t

Don't be foolish, if you get 1 vote for every dollar you pay in taxes the rich would still EASILY out pace even the middle class that pays taxes. 30% of 50,000 is 15,000. 30% of 50,000,000 is 15,000,000. That is 1000 times the voting power of that person. Throw a few rich people together (especially the ones making billions a year) and their voting power would FAR outstrip any other social class' voting power. Not to mention with the growing income equality gap, as time goes on it would get worse and worse (and you better believe that the rich would implement rules and laws to speed the growth of that gap up). Keep in mind that with the numbers I just gave you, in order for the middle class to trump the voting power of the one rich person with the voting power in my example, you would need 1000 people paying $15,000 in taxes. We have trouble having the couple hundred in Congress to agree let alone 1000 people all sharing the same opinion.

Seriously, do the damn math, this is by far the dumbest, stupidest, and most misguided idea I've ever read. And someone who isn't rich to even suggest it is beyond silly. Just hand the reins of the government to them, then they don't have to hide the fact they own the government, they can just be public about it.

Our country was founded for equality for all, not for whoever has the most money.
edit on 14-2-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

I never stated I supported the idea of more votes for the wealthy, I simply said the power to vote at all should be reserved for those who actually pay an income tax. I agree 100% that the idea of more votes for the wealthy is absurd, however there is nothing wrong with restricting voting to those who actually contribute.

Income tax isn't the only form of taxes collected by the government. Heck before 1913, it wasn't even a form of tax income for the government. Contrary to your premise, everyone pays taxes.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

Income tax isn't the only form of taxes collected by the government. Heck before 1913, it wasn't even a form of tax income for the government. Contrary to your premise, everyone pays taxes.

Most people pay a form of tax, however not everyone contributes to the federal tax pool. If they are poor and work, they get more back than they contribute in via social assistance programs and the EITC. Getting more back than you put in is not contributing, it is taking.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

doubletap

Actually its clear I know alot more about history than you do.

For one I know what happens when you only allow a very small minoritry to hold all the power.

As for the Natives? No some didnt beleive in individual land ownership but tribes still held territories and land was owned in alot of cases by the community. Secoundly generalising all Natives Americans is pretty stupid. SOME tribes didnt beleive in individual land ownership some like the Huron did.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

jjkenobi
reply to post by jtma508

There is some merit that you should be a contributing member of society to have a say in how things are ran. For example, if your brother didn't have a job, lived with you and ate your food, and did not contribute any funds or housework would you let him make budgeting decisions for your household? Why should he get to vote for HBO and the higher Internet Speed package? I feel the same way about life long welfare/food stamp recipients.

The top rich elite pretty much own the government and tailor policies under the auspices of doing it for the public benefit.
Obamaphone - Thank the Telecommunications Industry digging in your pockets.
Obamacare - Thank Big Pharma, Health and Insurance for digging in your pockets to prop them up.

Just because they are rich does not mean they will act responsibly when they have access to other peoples money in government.

If they want to run it for all their benefit, then they should be paying 100% of the taxes
and the top 99% should be paying 0% in taxes.

If the want to own it then they need to pay for it all, otherwise, GET OUT of our Government.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

crazyewok

doubletap

Actually its clear I know alot more about history than you do.

For one I know what happens when you only allow a very small minoritry to hold all the power.

As for the Natives? No some didnt beleive in individual land ownership but tribes still held territories and land was owned in alot of cases by the community. Secoundly generalising all Natives Americans is pretty stupid. SOME tribes didnt beleive in individual land ownership some like the Huron did.

Who is advocating allowing a small minority to hold all of the power? No one that has posted here.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

The wealthy pay most of the taxes because they make the most from their crony dealings with government. How ironic is that? So owning the government is going to stop this trend? Nope it will only make it worse where they squeeze more out of everyone so they get richer and then complain at the ones below them as if it is the poor and middle class that own the government.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

jacobe001

The wealthy pay most of the taxes because they make the most from their crony dealings with government. How ironic is that? So owning the government is going to stop this trend? Nope it will only make it worse where they squeeze more out of everyone so they get richer and then complain at the ones below them as if it is the poor and middle class that own the government.

With almost half of the country not paying an income tax as it is, who exactly are they squeezing?

What is wrong with ONLY those who actually pay an income tax voting to decide how to spend their money? That includes large numbers of middle class folks too.
edit on 14-2-2014 by doubletap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

doubletap

Krazysh0t

Most people pay a form of tax, however not everyone contributes to the federal tax pool. If they are poor and work, they get more back than they contribute in via social assistance programs and the EITC. Getting more back than you put in is not contributing, it is taking.

How do you know? Do you balance every person on welfare's checkbook and determine what cent goes where? Keep in mind there are transparent taxes that we pay that we are never aware of (mostly because they are taxes imposed on corporations that get passed down to consumers)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Your vision is to narrow minded.
The increase in wealth inequality and subsequently less taxes given to gov is because of theft like policies like Nafta where the wealthy lobbied government to open trade with communist china at the expense to Americans.

The top elite have no problem with communism on the upside, where the chinese citizens do not have freedoms and rights to fight back against their exploitation plus pissing and crapping in their rivers.

That is what the elite want here. Human units that do as they are told.

Anation not for the people and by the people, but nation for ceo's shareholders and by the shareholders.

They want to run the gov like a corporation with other peooles money

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

jacobe001
The increase in wealth inequality and subsequently less taxes given to gov is because of theft like policies like Nafta where the wealthy lobbied government to open trade with communist china at the expense to Americans.

North
American
Free
Trade
Agreement

Without NAFTA, the US would be much further down the hole then currently.
edit on 14-2-2014 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Nafta only benefitted the top elite though while everyone else is stagnating or declining.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

peck420
Without NAFTA, the US would be much further down the hole then currently.
edit on 14-2-2014 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

And you know this how?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

jacobe001
reply to post by peck420

Nafta only benefitted the top elite though while everyone else is stagnating or declining.

Really...I seem to have benefited a great deal, yet I am not part of the 'Elite'?

So has my province, and the odd 4 million souls in it.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
And you know this how?

What do you think would have happened to the cost of living in the US, in 2008, had they not had guaranteed access to a critical resource (like oil) at a guaranteed price?

Due to the immense diversity across NA, and the guarantees provided via NAFTA, Canada, Mexico, and the US have managed to weather multiple global 'problems' significantly better then most of the world.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join