It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The throw away gun

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Sorry but I disagree with you, local terrain knowledge, elevated position, superior firepower and defense of my home and family. There are no pissed off locals, they are farmers and ranchers too. We all band together and it would be very messy for an outsider to successfully attack. Military wouldn't care, much bigger fish to fry. Farmers running to a town because they are big hearted doesn't make sense to me as what would be accomplish? Probably get held up and shot on their way to town. Good luck!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by whywhynot

I think that you are confusing immediate survival, with long term survival.

At the onset, yes, I agree with you. But in the smaller rural towns, it would be a different story I think in the long term.

People have to band together in tough times. Otherwise they will perish. History has taught us that.

The cities will burn. The refugees that are not useful will perish. But the smaller towns will survive. It won't be nice, but they will in my opinion.

edit on 14-2-2014 by TDawgRex because: My spelling is all "F" ed today! Time to look at the keyboard.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Would the farmers head to the towns or would the towns head to the farms? I think the latter. Why give up a great food source?

The farms would eventually need a large work force once fuel became scarce and the workers could also be used as a defense force. Initially the farmers might go to the town but only to get people.

Most of the farm houses back home always seemed to be designed to give a 360 view of the area; long driveways and cleared areas surrounding the house and structures.

In my opinion, it would be the best option. Instead of having a throwaway gun, make friends with a local farmer.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

I agree, always make friends. You have their back and they have yours. To be honest, when I posted the OP, I was thinking about Wisconsin, in the Kettle Moraine, which has plenty of small farms, lots of hills and some pretty think forest as well. And small towns scattered across the state. With the exception of Milwaukee, not that many are large.

I didn't consider other terrain, since I am familiar with the people and geography of that area. I should have, since I am well traveled, but that is where I am moving back to so that was my line of thought.

I realize that there will die-hards who are unwilling to leave their lands, but the smart ones will go into the small towns and organize. Like both of have said. Field labor, security and logistics.

Now back to the original point, if I am going about my day to day business and outside authorities show up. I would rather look like a local, rather than a Soldier.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
All my guns went into a lake on a canoe trip. It was terrible, but the water was deep and muddy and it was night time. Too bad. I was drunk so I don't really know where I was. I kind of remember just chucking them randomly out into the water. Blackouts are terrible. Thank God, or Walmart, for life vests, right?

I have always wanted a break action single shot shotgun, though, and this thread just gave me a reason to spend the hundred dollars on one.
It would be helpful to the people assisting us, in those trying times, to believe that they had done a good job.
Be sure to hand over your very "best" ammo as well.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   

rickymouse
I doubt if the local officials here would try to disarm the hunters. They would have to call in the national guard from all the states to accomplish this. People have their guns here for many generations, they aren't going to give them up because the government thinks they are a threat. I think if the government would implement this, there would be a revolution so I doubt if they would ever attempt it. People would flock in with guns to protect their friends and this would result in a mess.

When a prisoner is going to be executed they don't take him straight from mainstream to the death chamber. They do it in stages, till a few hours before he gets his justice he is in an adjoining cell next to the death chamber. If you were in that situation at what point would you resist? When they take you to death row a year before? When they take you to the other side of the unit a week before? When they take you to cell B the day before? When they take you to the adjoining cell?

Each move is made with greater security, more restraints and higher alertness. At what point will the gun owners start this revolution? At what point will they flock to defend their buddies? When they take away the automatic large gauge? When they take away the semi\automatic large gauge and small gauge automatics? Is that the time to start the revolution? What about when they take away all pistols and leave only shotguns and rifles?

If anyone is interested in how they are going to do this then they should study how they did it in Australia. Google "gun control in Australia"

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Still, having superior "comms" does not guarantee that these military units will comply indefinitely with orders that will be coming from far away and may be in conflict with their own immediate needs or wants. Without direct consequences some these guys will look after their own interests sooner or later no matter what the guy on the radio is telling them to do. Without support and/or being re-supplied "comms" will only do so much for any sizable group, they'll have to become self sustaining after a few days or weeks at most.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I know all the preppers have adopted the "trust no one, i'll protect mine" theme but something nobody ever touches, this scenario. SHTF. It's been going on for some time and you as a prepper are out working your crops and a lone wolf like me whoops a call to get your attention as they're walking toward you. Someone you have never seen before, carrying a weapon, but its slung, hands clearly visible. What do you do? Most want to reach for their weapon and run the man off but, what if he merely wants to trade goods? If he does want to trade goods would you still turn him the other way at gunpoint?

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

As long as the weapon is slung, I would engage him or her in conversation from a distance and see what they want. If they were passing through and want a little help, I would do what I could, but they would have to camp off-site.

If they were looking for work and passed the first interview, they would have to agree to be disarmed until they gained the trust of the group.

What I am getting at though in the original OP is that there are many preppers who dress and arm themselves as militia or even military. If I saw a stranger dressed and armed like that I would be immediately suspicious. After retiring from the military, I got rid of everything Army related with the exception of some undergarments and boots (and records of course).

I prefer to look like everybody else out there. Just another local going about their business.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I kept a few of my uniforms for sentimental reasons and my assault pack but in a SHTF i most definitely wouldn't wear military style clothing for what should be obvious reasons

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

I've seen units blow off higher commands plenty of times because they went contrary to their goals in their respective areas of operations. Most times for the better, but sometimes the worse.

But regardless of what the command (In the rear with the gear) wants it is the immediate unit in that area that must make decisions. They have to think about their own safety as well. I don't foresee any gun grabs to be truthful, with the exception of a area that is considered a hotbed of insurgency/looting/gang related activity.

Regardless, anytime the military is near a town, even assisting in times of crisis, they want to know who is armed, and with what. Just in case. Knowledge is power after all.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

This is where you need two people, one talks to the stranger, the other stands back with gun at the ready.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join