It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The throw away gun

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

If you turn in an old beater of a gun I would think you had more that you were hiding. As the authorities, in this scenario, I would search your residence for more firearms and speak to your neighbors.

It would be best to create better hiding places for your weapons, but then you have the problem of getting to them quickly in an emergency situation.

You could work with the authorities, rat out those you don't like, while simultaneously working with the underground to disrupt the authorities efforts. In effect, becoming a double agent. Though that will place you and family members in danger.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Remember keep the ammo out of sight as well...no point handing in a shotgun when the person collecting it see's 2 boxes of 50 cals next to it and you only have 2 shotgun carts, some people may be dumb but don't go hoping for that level of dumb when the person doing the collection is probably very well versed in nearly every firearm in existence

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

In your senerio, a true SHTF, I just wonder how many people in law enforcement will hang in with their command authority rather than go home and protect their family. I live in a very small and very rural area and we are all close so I could see the local law being supported by the group as long as they are making decisions that are good for the group. Otherwise they would get "voted" out. I also wonder how stateside military with local family would behave. I am as loyal and patriotic as they come but I'm making it home to protect my family. Command and control is going to be real tough after 30 days of SHTF. Remember SHTF means no electricity, no water from pipes, no internet, no fuel from the pumps, no stores and as we have seen many times now, the unprepared in face of far less of a threat go bonkers and clear out the stores ad turn on each other.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

I hate critical thinkers. You mess up my posts!

All valid points however. Kudos.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

.no point handing in a shotgun when the person collecting it see's 2 boxes of 50 cals next to it

lol, no worries, got the 50 cal ammo stashed with the RPGs.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by whywhynot

C & C is always difficult, whether in a military or civilian context. In a rural situation, I think that the farmers would migrate towards the towns. Parties would be doing the farming and security and sanitation. I don't think many realize it, but they are living it daily.

The cities though would be hell. No food, no water, no security, and no sanitation.

All critical elements concerning survival.

But there is also another thought that occurs to me. How would 2/3rds of the nation react if the other 1/3rd suffered a disaster?

Thoughts like these make me ponder, (as I'm sure many others). How would we react? Both as a government and as a people. I know that I am a people person for the most part, so if I can, I will be there to help.
edit on 14-2-2014 by TDawgRex because: ETA

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by tovenar

I gotta say, as you said, in an event, the internet would be down. That means so would cell service and twitter. But small towns and close neighborhoods would still get the word out fast.

That could be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on how they would react.

But for the other part of my OP, how would people react if a small armed force came asking for help? Remembering JFK..."Ask not what can your country can do for you, but what can you do for your country?"

It would depend on their tone.

There is a distance between, "We need your help to secure your neighborhood," versus "we are seizing your property because we don't trust you."

A couple of sociologists coined the term "Elite Panic" to describe the moment when those in authority (the governing elite) fear the populace. They respond in stereotypical ways; and when they act on their feelings, they often generate their worst nightmares.

The gun-grabbing in New Orleans after 2005 came after apocryphal stories that white neighborhoods had cordoned off their blocks and were shooting at outsiders. So the badge-bringers immediately chose a different neighborhood that was almost completely depopulated, and searched the homes of the few elderly survivors, taking all of granny's guns. (less than 50 homes total, from what I can find on the net.)

I don't know about the Boston situation well enough, but it looked like they locked the whole town down, and pointed guns at anyone who looked out the window. There are no guns in Boston, apparently; so the gun-slingers barged in and searched various homes, in case the residents were "harboring the terrorists." You know those zany Bostonians, how they love to harbor terrorists...

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

You know those zany Bostonians, how they love to harbor terrorists...
reply to post by tovenar

I think I get the pun.

The Boston Harbor Tea Party?

Did I get it?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I think that the farmers would migrate towards the towns.

In my view the last place that we would go would be the towns or cities. SHTF and we hunker down eat the caned goods, watch the livestock, and set up defensive parameters. Spring comes we plant. Without fuel pumps no substantial group will be able to get here on only one tank of gas even if they had the reason to try to get to our particular corner of paradise. If somehow a group with superior firepower attacks our position we will melt into the woods until be can counterpunch.

Regarding the military, even if they had no desertions and recalled somehow all overseas groups the total number of soldiers in the combined forces of the US if stationed throughout the USA would equal 1 soldier every 2.5 miles. Of course it wouldn't happen like that but it gives you some prospective. You also have to consider that there are 20 million vets in the US and the total active duty armed forces are less than 2 million. It will be tough in a real SHTF environment for the military to take anything, guard anything or to help or assault anyone.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

That's why I said thay would be spread thin. People WILL have to work together or perish.

Combining the two groups though would probably be able to work miracles if done right.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I'm going to do this as a seperate post.

Suppose I am a bad guy, with a couple of guys, with training. You decide to homestead and protect your own. Can you see were I am am going with this? You are easy pickings. Sorry. I will eat, while you will rot, and my stomach will be full off the fruits of your labor. It has happened plenty of times before in history.

But a group can fight back against that, as long as they are in it together.
edit on 14-2-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Good idea, but as far as I'm concerned... if anyone shows up at my house to disarm me they are my enemy. For me it's that simple, and that is the day I die, because that is the only way they will disarm me. This isn't "tough talk", it's just the way it is. I hope and pray that my resolve is never tested, but it is always standing ready for that test.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Yea, not a lot of people looking at the two scenarios I put out there.

All they are concerned with is, I got mine, you get yours.

Franckly, I'm disgusted.

edit on 14-2-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Something is telling me, that if this was to ever happen. The Authorities would not be standing there waiting for YOU to give them the guns, they would send in an enforcement team to get the Guns, SS Nazis comes to mind. Still a good idea, to stash a gun and some ammo away.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I've looked at them but don't see much difference between being totally eff'd Madmax style and "just power outages and refugees" - if the power goes out any military units will be cut off from command. These roving military units will eventually either go to pieces with troops going AWOL to find their own families, fall apart due to internal power struggles or a combination of both. This country just is too big to be governed one body as it does today without the power grid.

Things would get way worse before it got better...you seem to be skipping over that part...or your just focusing on the transition period before everyone gets hungry and goes apesh*t.

So civilians turning over weapons (valued or throw-away) voluntarily and/or the military hunting to feed civilians seems very unlikely, especially in the long run.
edit on 2/14/2014 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

LOL, I certainly understand what you are talking about. However, did I mention that I am a combat vet and have 4 sons 3 of which live near and are also combat vets. Good luck with the ez pickings.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

whywhynot

LOL, I certainly understand what you are talking about. However, did I mention that I am a combat vet and have 4 sons 3 of which live near and are also combat vets. Good luck with the ez pickings.

Lots of combat vets out there, and when the pickings get slim, they are not all that honorable. And they do have the training which they can pass on.

Just sayin'

As I have said before. The tree to survival is not to think of it as a fork in the road, nor a intersection. It's a tree with many branches. And at each branch, you must make a decision.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Military and other such units are a hell of of a lot better equipped than your average citizen. A hurricane would not knock out a Iridium Sat Phone and the military has those in abundance.

A tornado would not knock out a SINGARS radio either.

Comms is the key.

And the military realizes this as they have ways to recharge their batteries without the grid. Of course they'll need fuel for some of it, which solar can't provide...but they have plenty of that as well.
edit on 14-2-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I agree, there is no way that farmers would head toward a town. I do believe that the "authorities" would look at these farms as vital to the nation and provide security...or at least offer security. Though, any farmer accepting the offer would be under their control and would not be able to sell to the local community. The food, of course, would be trucked to the cities or shipped to those deemed important. City dwellers would be placed on starvation rations.

Speaking of cities...

Any regular DOD forces would be required in the cities. They would not have the manpower to secure the rural areas and would be needed to set up distribution centers, quell rioters and stop looters. Eventually, those in the city might overwhelm the troops or the troops may just leave them to fend for themselves, setting up a perimeter around the city to stop anyone trying to leave.

Water and food will become vital to the National Interests in any scenario and the gov't will ensure its protection.

I also believe that many would desert, taking their uniforms, equipment and weapons. Again, in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, these troops would look to carve out mini kingdoms for themselves. A lot of these soldiers are from farming communities and would try to take over farms, especially those off the main drag and easily defensible. They would set up base camp and offer protection to any willing to be ruled by them.

Again, that would be in a TEOTWAWKI scenario. Society would never completely collapse, it would just devolve into a feudal society in which "Might makes Right." People, in my opinion, would flock to these areas. They would have protection, work and, most importantly, food.
edit on 14-2-2014 by Feltrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Feltrick

I agree, there is no way that farmers would head toward a town.

The farmers I know would do it in a heartbeat. Not just out of the kindness of their hearts, but they know that they would be overwhelmed with some pissed off locals.

I can see that to many people have been watching movies. I'm ashamed at some of the so-called survivalists on ATS. Bring it on dumb@$$es. Your not survivalists...you're fodder for the taking. But that is your own choice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join