It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building a rig from scratch

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
From my limited experience (I bought a premade computer and swapped the processor onto a board I bought) the one thing I would recommend very strongly is making sure the motherboard you buy has a very strong track record. It looks like the one you chose does but I'm just throwing it out there because I bought a board that had just been released and didn't have any reviews and have come to kind of regret it.

Whatever you do, just follow the pack on this part. Don't risk it with the most crucial part of the build. The motherboard will probably be the part you'll keep the longest unless you (like me) tend to keep a computer the way it is for many years until it dies or becomes too slow to keep up. You don't want to depend on the motherboard manufacturer to update faulty BIOS or screwy drivers. It's best if they're good to start with.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianFlanders

Good advice. I initially wanted a Rampage 3 mobo but was outside my set budget. Overall I think it was a decent second choice, given the fact that the mobo I used to have was at least 5 years old. And a 450W PSU.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Tindalos2013
reply to post by BrianFlanders

Good advice. I initially wanted a Rampage 3 mobo but was outside my set budget. Overall I think it was a decent second choice, given the fact that the mobo I used to have was at least 5 years old. And a 450W PSU.

Yeah. The cool thing is these things can last if you get the right one and you do just a tiny bit of maintenance. I guess I should have said the PSU is probably your most important component because a crappy one can fry everything. I'm gonna be replacing mine sometime in the near future. You don't even really have to spend a lot unless you're looking for extreme performance. The only reason I spent $100 on a board was I wanted one with good onboard audio and that's hard to find.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join