My Observation of the Moon

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
A couple of days ago, the sky was clear so I decided to try and get a good look at the Moon.

I had no telescope, just a small photo camera, so I zoomed unto the Moon and took a dozen of pictures. It took me several hours to re-assemble the individual pictures into one mosaic picture.

This is the resulting image (click on the thumbnails to view full size):

I know the stitching isn't perfect; rough edges can still be seen if you look closely.

Anyway, so I then modified the picture by adding dramatic contrast. Which yielded this picture:

And, finally, I boosted the saturation so to enhance the surface's color:

These observations were recorded on the 12 of february, at around 0h UTC.

At Time's End,

Swan

edit on 14-2-2014 by swanne because: specification

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Goldorak says a red moon is a sign Vega is about to attack us!!! lol

Red shift says the Moon is leaving us, which it is slowly doing.

But I'm saying incredible picture since you took it with a small camera. And your stitching ain't bad at all.

Good hand and good work.
edit on 14-2-2014 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Thanks!

The Moon is indeed moving away from Earth, but not at a speed high enough to cause such a visible redshift. The Moon's red tint could maybe be a result of Earth's atmosphere - there was some turbulence that day, the sky wasn't perfectly clear.

On these pictures I like to notice the non-circular shape of the Copernicus carter. Most people think that craters are all circular... well I witnessed, first hand, that this wasn't always the case... to me the Copernicus Crater looked almost pentagonal.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Nice work you did there, that had to have taken some patience. I like to think Luna was just putting on her party dress for Valentines day! lol Not very scientific, but fun for thoughts of fancy

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

What camera was used and what software and why don't you post one of the original pictures?

Also why don't you look here Members Astrophotography

You will see images like this (one of mine)

A simple shot of our nearest neighbour

1/400th of a second f8 iso 400, Sony SLT A37 with a 300mm lens (heavy crop)
edit on 14-2-2014 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

I used a friend's panasonic video camera. I'm not exactly sure what its focal values were, I let it on "automatic" so to make sure the focus was on its optimum. I'd have to do some googling, all I know is that it was a very good Panasonic.

The original photos were in fact a rather shaky video, the snapshot being extracted and added directly to the mosaic.

And might I say, that your picture is REALLY good, I wish I could star you more than once, you make me realize I got to buy a telescope when I'm less broke!

Thanks for the link, there's really beautiful pictures in there.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Really cool pictures. Hey, you can find telescopes for cheap at estate sales and the like. I would even check out thrift shops. Make nice with someone and they'll tell you if something comes in.

The moon was glorious the last few nights here, and I wished I knew how to utilize my camera.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Oh and the program I used for stitching was the basic MS Paint.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

swanne

Oh and the program I used for stitching was the basic MS Paint.

MS Paint there lies a very big problem 8 bits per colour channel !!!

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

That's a better picture of the Moon that I have ever taken, well done!

The reddish colour is due to the camera, though. When enhancing saturation, it's better first to normalise colours (such as using "Auto Color" in PhotoShop) to get rid of such unnatural colour cast.

Here's your image with colours normalised and enhanced, showing approximately the true colours of the surface. But some green and magenta colouring is still present, purely because of the camera.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Beautiful, thanks! I'll keep that in mind, beautiful demonstration!

new topics
top topics

join