It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belgium: Lawmakers Extend Euthanasia to Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

BRUSSELS: Belgian lawmakers voted overwhelmingly on Thursday to extend the country's euthanasia law to children under 18.

The law empowers children with terminal ailments who are in great pain to ask to be put to death by their doctor if their parents agree and a psychiatrist or psychologist certifies they are conscious of what their choice signifies.

It has wide public support, but was opposed by some pediatricians and the country's Roman Catholic clergy. As House of Representative members cast their ballots and an electronic tally board lit up with enough green lights to indicate the measure would carry, a lone protester in the chamber shouted "assassins!"

www.thenews.com.pk...

Belgium's euthanasia law, passed in 2002, previously applied only to legal adults. The neighboring Netherlands allows euthanasia for children as young as 12, providing their families agree.

And now it looks like Belgium will become the first country to allow kids the same privilege to end their suffering from a terminal disease thru 'assisted suicide'

I will admit I never knew that there were countries that approved of euthanasia on sickly terminal people
And there is wide support from the public too it seems

This would never ever, ever, ever pass in the US

I remember Dr.Kevorkian had helped some terminal patients that were wanting to end their suffering and he had set it up where the patient was the one to finally end their life, no one else, when they were ready --Volunteer Suicide--

Of course, there was much public outcry surrounding his work and he was arrested and sent to jail for several years back in 1999

I highly doubt our country will ever be open minded enough to even be able to discuss volunteer suicide without getting upset about it

***Please keep this a civil discussion & within the T&C***

edit on 14-2-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Although I am a firm believer in doing all you can to survive, at the end of the day if someone is of sound body and mind (well.. of sound mind) they should be given the choice. Not down to the government, down to the person.

What right does a government have to deny someone release for pain. The main point is that the people who go to these lengths to end it painlessly are seen as selfish by some, but I disagree. This isnt some lonely teen topping themselves because their latest break up "ended their life" (Believe me, when I was younger a few of my friends attempted to end it all after a messy break up so I do know how selfish people can be), these are people who do not want their families to see them slowly and painfully die infront of them, putting strain and pressure on a family who is constantly grieving even though the family member is still alive but dieing.

Governments should butt out and let people decide for themselves. This is why I support these countries and Dr Death

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by thekaboose

Governments should butt out and let people decide for themselves. This is why I support these countries and Dr Death

I'm with you on this, especially after seeing my Dad suffer when I was just a kid

My Mom took care of him as long as she was physically able to before having to put him in a nursing home
And all they did was keep him doped up, waiting for him to die, my dad didn't know the world he was in
Not to mention he didn't even know his family was in the room with him
Cost my Mom a ton of money in the meantime

The reason why Kevorkian got in trouble was the patient was to weak to push the button and asked him to do it for her
So they got him for murder, even tho that was her wish to die by volunteer suicide
He was also very strict with whom qualified and who didn't.
He denied hundreds that wanted his help

edit on 14-2-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I totally agree on what the Belgium Government have decided (yes, the Belgium government)... At least THEY have listened and understand what the PEOPLE want without having all the extremist lobbies, corrupt politicians looking for votes and militant religious groups poking their noses in and creating non-issues.

The final decision (Of course with the help and back up from medical professionals) should be down to the person in question or the parents of the child suffering from terminal illness.

Self interested Politicians, political groups and religious militant groups should keep their unwelcome faces out of issues that does not concern them.

Over here in France which is on the doorstep of Belgium, we have had issues with voluntary euthanasia for the past couple of years...

What is holding everything up?... Politicians with personal interests and as usual the Roman Catholic hardcore militants.

ENOUGH I say...

Let the people choose in such sensitive matters as family and loved ones.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I always thought it odd that we will put a pet down when it is suffering but not us, so good for them helping folk whose life is just pain and suffering.
I hope the UK follows suit soon.

new topics

top topics

join