It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How We are Nihilists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I liked the old name - at least it was more honest.

I don't understand.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

Aphorism
reply to post by arpgme

"Nihilism (/ˈnaɪ.ɨlɪzəm/ or /ˈniː.ɨlɪzəm/; from the Latin nihil, nothing) is the philosophical doctrine suggesting the negation of one or more putatively meaningful aspects of life. Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.

Wikipedia
"

There's a lot of reading out there if you want to take a look.

So now here is a different definition.
What is motivating you to want to convince everyone that babies are nihilists? What is your intention?

Babies do not hold 'philosophical doctrines' therefore, once again, babies are not nihilists.
edit on 14-2-2014 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

You're right I should've defined the term in the beginning.

I was speaking of the existential crisis of nihilism. Babies are born into this crisis.

It is the way philosophy has used it in the last 100 years or more. You might want to read up on it.

And I'm fairly certain I differentiated between nihilism as a method or transition, and nihilism as a worldview.
edit on 14-2-2014 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

What is motivating you to want to convince everyone that babies are nihilists? What is your intention?

I am using a word to describe the worldview of someone who has yet to experience the world. To them, the world has yet to acquire meaning. It is also an analogy for those who say we are nothing, or that the world is sin, or that the world is suffering—because they have yet to experience enough of the world to find meaning in it.

As I intimated, the search for hedonistic pleasures and for other-worldly rewards, are symptoms of nihilism.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Aphorism
reply to post by arpgme

I am using a word to describe the worldview of someone who has yet to experience the world. To them, the world has yet to acquire meaning. It is also an analogy for those who say we are nothing, or that the world is sin, or that the world is suffering—because they have yet to experience enough of the world to find meaning in it.

As I intimated, the search for hedonistic pleasures and for other-worldly rewards, are symptoms of nihilism.

Has a baby told you its a nihilist?
Or are you just telling us you think you are a nihilist so everyone is?
Do you remember being a nihilist baby or even how you felt about the world as a baby?
Maybe you shouldn't try to provide us with your opinion dressed up in a costume of "ALL babies have this [ insert your nihilism idea ] world view "

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

How many times are the words 'we' and 'us' written in the opening post?
Yet it is just the view of the poster!!

Maybe Aphorism shouldn't try to provide us with his opinion dressed up in a costume of 'we and us', 'someone' and 'most people' or 'he' and 'our'.
Who's view is he talking about really?
Is he actually saying that he is a nihilist?
edit on 14-2-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I read a book titled Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age by Father Seraphim Rose...it was an interesting read. It was written in the 80s, so I read it with the idea of the world moving closer to the post-modern age in mind. In it he insists that Nihilism was not a movement in itself or a state of mind relegated to a certain period in time, but that Nihilism was the root cause of every other movement or form of thought...Nihilism was at the root of liberalism and the counter-culture movement, and that it will usher in a new era of thought...I believe he foresaw the post-modern age we live in now.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

Do you remember being a nihilist baby or even how you felt about the world as a baby?
Maybe you shouldn't try to provide us with your opinion dressed up in a costume of "ALL babies have this [ insert your nihilism idea ] world view "

Has a baby told you he wasn't a nihilist?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousMoose

I read a book titled Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age by Father Seraphim Rose...it was an interesting read. It was written in the 80s, so I read it with the idea of the world moving closer to the post-modern age in mind. In it he insists that Nihilism was not a movement in itself or a state of mind relegated to a certain period in time, but that Nihilism was the root cause of every other movement or form of thought...Nihilism was at the root of liberalism and the counter-culture movement, and that it will usher in a new era of thought...I believe he foresaw the post-modern age we live in now.

I agree. I would also extend that root to all forms of conservatism. I will find that book and see what he says.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Yes the words came out of my mind, written by myself. Is this the extent of your wisdom?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Aphorism

Yes the words came out of my mind, written by myself. Is this the extent of your wisdom?

So why project it onto others?
Be honest and proclaim it from the start that it is your opinion - is it impossible for you to say 'I...................?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Do you ever say "In my opinion"? I expect you to start lest you be known as a hypocrite. Or do I sense a quaint moral posturing?

I'm curious as to why you would waste your time reading what I write?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Because it reeks of ignorance and is laughable.
I like to expose the ignorance.
You know what you are doing and so do I.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

You forgot the "In your opinion". Moral posturing, just as I expected.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I like to expose the ignorance.

You expose yours with every sentence.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Aphorism

You forgot the "In your opinion". Moral posturing, just as I expected.

It should be obvious that it is my opinion - I have not used words like 'we' and 'us' - it is posted under my name.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Everyone speaks from opinion.

Do you have any opinions in regards to the topic?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

BDBinc

Aphorism
reply to post by arpgme

. They tell me that when I was a baby my very first words were mama, Dada,......nihilist.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

It should be obvious that it is my opinion - I have not used words like 'we' and 'us' - it is posted under my name.

You might remember, but I had you in mind when I wrote this:

Beware of those who speak in the second-person narrative

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Surely that is about your style of writing - you don't say 'I.........
Read the opening post of all your threads

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join