It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DVR Cameras In Your Personal Vehicle

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Just realized this may be in the wrong Forum. Will contact mods so no need to post it.

How many of you guys are running one of these? I think it's a fantastic idea and just ordered one from Amazon. This is the one I got for $60. What are you running? If there's a way better option under $150 I'll consider it. I think it's very important to reduce liability when you can, and I would also like to protect myself from BS traffic stops. I haven't had one yet, but I've heard some stories. It would be nice to always have solid evidence. Worst case scenario you forget to mention that you recorded the thing to the judge.

I was actually surprised how cheap the thing is, and was pleasantly surprised to learn that it actually records front AND rear and that the LCD screen always shows the rear camera (backup camera always on screen so you don't have to be in reverse). The other cool thing about the dual cameras is that you can set one up to record any interaction with Law Enforcement instead of as a rear facing camera. So you're covered for multiple scenarios.

Thing has a time stamp, G sensors, and with a 32GB card should be good for a number of hours of recording before it starts re-writing to the card.

I'll most likely just be setting the thing up in the standard fashion since it records sound (for any LE interaction) and have been wanting a backup camera. My cars rear visibility is pretty bad (she has a sexy fat behind).

I'll probably end up using the thing more often to post videos of nutty drivers or amusing things I see on the road (often find myself wishing I had my GoPro up and running when I'm tooling around) but it's nice to have that little bit of insurance if someone pulls something crazy and you need to defend yourself. Generally like and trust cops, but you never know. Also, it's not like you have to tell anyone in the event something is your fault. Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

edit on 1320140220141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I no longer drive, everything for me is relatively central so no need. But the day I have to purchase a vehicle is the day I'll have front and rear cameras recording everything. I've previously looked at a few of these car DVR's. A friend of mine bought one for his truck, records front and cab view in 720P and has decent night capabilities. I believe he paid around 120 bucks for it, I don't recall the name though. (The camera(s) and DVR is built into a rear view mirror.)

How does your camera function? I know the majority of after market DVR systems must be turned on manually. I've seen a couple that use motion sensing to auto-record and even fewer that auto-records when the car is started.

Also, I personally feel that these things are great. I've been urging my grandmother to let me get her one for her car but has resisted because she's not "tech savvy". But she may finally break, a guy rear-ended her (lightly, but did cause some damage) and she's having issues. I feel that a video of the incident would have been a great asset to have.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

How does your camera function? I know the majority of after market DVR systems must be turned on manually. I've seen a couple that use motion sensing to auto-record and even fewer that auto-records when the car is started.

I facepalmed. I haven't actually received it yet, maybe should have mentioned that little detail. I'm a dummy. Ordered it a few days ago. Should have asked before ordering, but Amazon beckons me late at night when I've had a nip or two.

So I believe you either have to manually turn the thing on, or that it will turn on when power goes to the unit. In my car, the USB chargers and the cigarette lighters don't throw power unless the car is running or key is turned to ACC. This thing has a 'G' sensor too, so perhaps when the vehicle starts moving it turns on then. It only has 1 hour of battery life when unplugged, so I'm thinking it turns on when the car throws it power. I'm actually not adverse to taking the unit out every night and plugging it back in, having to turn it on won't bother me at all.

I think I've seen a few that replace your rearview, but in my car you don't want to do that because it dicks with the Mic for hands free calling. I was going to install a backup camera with a screen in the rearview mirror but after some Googling found out that's a no. Same with a new Head Unit. Almost impossible to find one compatible with my steering wheel controls. If she had more than 7k miles I would consider it, I just don't want to slash and hack my baby yet.

I'm assuming/hoping your Grandmother is OK. With a DVR she doesn't even have to be tech savvy. Just leave it in the car, if something happens unplug it and she can give it to you to extract data. Like I said mine has a G sensor and I believe it will save a certain amount of time preceding and after a crash without having to tell it to.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

How cool, thanks for showing

Will save for later so I can show my husband
We travel a lot & that sure would be nice to have

S&F for taking the time to share with us

------

ETA: That reminded me of a man who's Hummer kept getting keyed by someone several times
So he installed cameras on his Hummer, thinking it was some punk kids doing it and come to find out it was some old man who disliked gas guzzlers
Blew our minds to see the old guy key it down the side like a teenager might would do
He was about 73-75 yrs. old
*shakes head*

Never too old to be a d-head I guess

edit on 14-2-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I have been running a Dashcam for the last couple of years, after 2 days in a row having idiots pull out of side roads right in front of me. In that time they have also picked up some pretty awful driving by others, a few accidents, a lightning strike and a very bright shooting star as it streaked across the sky ahead of me - not to Chelyabinsk standard but I thought it was cool.

Many fleet operators and haulage companies have been using them for a long time, after the emergence of organized gangs causing accidents deliberately for injury compensation claims. Same has happened to many car drivers as well, so having good video is certainly helpful in any insurance claim and possibly for police evidence too.

I just upgraded my Dashcam to a higher end model and will probably put the older one in the back, recording the rear view as well. Both have GPS and shock sensing, as well as motion sensing when in parking mode and audio recording, so if someone hits me when I am out of the car, I should be able to nail the culprit. There are a lot of models out there now, from cheap ebay offerings to expensive full HD, WiFi enabled ones (what I use). Plenty of video clips on YouTube as well now - some of those Russian clips are hilarious / scary / disturbing!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Car cameras are going to do more harm than good. They will, in most cases, only show one half of the story, they will in most cases, not show what has gone before or behind the vehicle with the camera.

All those people who think that everyone else should drive as slow as them are going to have field day, They will also be sucessful at being able to enforce their will on others force others to conform to their idea of safe driving. They will be able to enrage other drivers by obstructing them and soliciting the reaction they want.

it will be very easy for them to portray those who react and become the agressor as villians who licence should be taken off them for a year or two.

..... and who do you think the authorities will believe in court?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by learnatic

I guess then that you would probably class me as a slow driver, as I stick to the speed limits.
Sure, I have idiots come romping up behind me, sitting on my arse and trying to intimidate me, but it doesn't bother me. Any action picked up a vehicle mounted camera is going to show not only the driving of the car it is fitted in, but the actions of other motorists as well. If I am driving within, or on, the speed limit, and someone speeding or driving idiotically causes an accident to happen, then why would it be my fault or anybody else's fault other than the idiot who crashed?

It's a simple safety issue, what is wrong with that?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I don't think there's any reason not to have one of these. Cheap insurance.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

PsykoOps
I don't think there's any reason not to have one of these. Cheap insurance.

I see there are now some insurance companies in the UK offering discounts for having a dashcam in the car. I'll have to look at quotes next time mine is up for renewal.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Do you know if these DVR things have phono (RCA) inputs to record from?

Only ask as i've got a digital night vision monocular with a phono output on it. Wanted to record what i was looking at but don't fancy a 20 foot cable dangling through the window back to my computer. A small DVR thing like the one you bought in my pocket would be ideal.

I had hoped a mobile phone would work, but i don't think any have the inputs to record to.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I think it's creepy.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

learnatic
Car cameras are going to do more harm than good. They will, in most cases, only show one half of the story, they will in most cases, not show what has gone before or behind the vehicle with the camera.

Bunk. Pure and simple.

Cam cams w/mics are the best thing to come down the pike since pizza. You can't have too many cameras and you'll find it's one of the few things our gestapo friends really fear. It's also nice for the occasional bad driver and environmental events.

For those interested in this tech, get a camera with an adhesive mount because the suction cups *never, ever* last. A separate mount that allows you to remove the camera is sweet because you can literally get out of the car and walk around taping anything you wish. I've done this several times.

Also, you get what you pay for so this is not a product you want to skimp on. The poorly built cameras are worse than having no cam at all. Check the car cam forums like carcamcentral.com for info and buying guides.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

it will be very easy for them to portray those who react and become the agressor as villians who licence should be taken off them for a year or two.

Some very good points here. You know, I read a short story a while back, that mentioned the idea of everyone wearing a piece of jewellery with a camera, recording their day to day interactions. Which could then be uploaded when at home to store for future reference if needed.

Seems like it would be a nice adjunct to the car camera idea, and possibly a way for everyone to get the upper hand on NSA spying and/or malicious police intent. If we record ourselves and our interactions (and therefore have to be responsible for such) - it would also go along way toward curbing crime altogether. It certainly is far preferable to that other idea of people being micro-chipped one day. *shudders*

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by juspassinthru

Looks like even the high end models are affordable. Papago especially. Like you, I take great interest in this so reviews that are comprehensive helps a lot in choosing the best one for what you need.

Really, I see no downside to this. What the insurance companies offer is good, but dash cams add security that is priceless in some cases. There is nothing better than knowing your butt is covered should something go wrong while you're driving or stopped and out of the vehicle for a short time. Owners of commercial fleets have known this for a long time, and others who drive for a living know this too.

edit on 14-2-2014 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Hah, no harm no foul. I know the vile temptress known as Amazon far too well.

I'd love to see a review of it once you've gotten it and tested it out a bit. I've been looking and looking and have found quite a few (including ex-police DVR's) but as I mentioned, I don't currently drive so no need to bite the bullet yet leaving me ample time to make a decision.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Britguy

I guess then that you would probably class me as a slow driver, as I stick to the speed limits.
Sure, I have idiots come romping up behind me, sitting on my arse and trying to intimidate me, but it doesn't bother me. Any action picked up a vehicle mounted camera is going to show not only the driving of the car it is fitted in, but the actions of other motorists as well. If I am driving within, or on, the speed limit, and someone speeding or driving idiotically causes an accident to happen, then why would it be my fault or anybody else's fault other than the idiot who crashed?

It's a simple safety issue, what is wrong with that?

If you are one of the people that drive in the left lane and have 10 cars behind you and one beside you so people can't pass and no cars in front of you then you are the idiot driver . Sounds like you do it on purpose just to make people mad and that is a D-BAG driver .

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
If you are installing cameras because you frightened of 'interdiction from law enforcement' then you have some issues more important than installing cameras. Paranoid, delusional fear, of inordinate or respect figures can fall under the reign of persecutory delusions are a frequent symptom of psychosis.

Persecutory delusions for instance, the more a belief is implausible, unfounded, strongly held, not shared by others, distressing and preoccupying, the more likely it is to be considered a delusion.

Anxiety over getting a ticket by a patrol officer for breaking the law is normal-and police are trained to know the difference between simple regret(at getting caught) and one suffering from a delusional psychosis. The filming of any crime scene event is only useful to the media as without a chain of evidence these videos are worthless in court.

Patrol officers today no longer need to call for 'back up' to assist them in troublesome traffic stops. Since license plate scans now load data to the officers terminals in less that a second these scans also pick up such things as window tint violations and the presents of cameras. So this automatically upgrades the stop to 'hazardous' even before the officers makes verbal contact.

So if the dash scan or the officers visual scan sees a camera then the stop elevates and backup is automatically called.

In other words you just made the entire situation 10 times worse than it should be.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I bought one after returning from a trip to Taiwan and seeing how EVERYBODY has one over there. They are much more prevalent in other countries especially places where insurance fraud is big. It's like having a "black box" for your car. I think I drive a little safer too, because of it. More laid back, like there's a passenger (witness?) with me, har har!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JHumm

Firstly, your reading and comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired - My name "Britguy" and my location "Hertfordshire, UK" should give you a clue!

Secondly, as I stated, I drive within the speed limits, but regularly have to undertake other vehicles all bunched up in lanes 1 and 2 on the motorway, while lane 1 is clear, and I do so below the posted 70mph speed limit. See, there are all sorts of "dirtbags" on the roads, everywhere, and you unfortunately sound like one of them!

Do you actually have any relevant input to this thread at all, or are you just happy to throw around ignorant and pointless ravings?

Back to the whole point of this thread, there are many good cameras out there now at good prices. A popular one here seems to be the Mobius, no fancy GPS, shock sensors etc but the video quality seems to be very good. Another thing to consider, in some places (UK at least) is the placement of the camera as it is considered an offence to obstruct the view through the windscreen, also those attached with suction mounts are not considered safe if attached to the windscreen.
My one is mounted high up, partially behind the rearview mirror and attached with a strong adhesive pad, so no chance of it falling off.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by spooky24

Complete rubbish!
People fitting these devices are doing so, mainly, for crash insurance purposes, not because of delusional or paranoid fantasies!

Any police officer requesting backup, because he sees a camera fitted in a car, is surely the one showing irrational and paranoid tendencies and in doing so is the one escalating the situation, without any rational reason to do so. I am sure lawyers would have a field day prosecuting police for illegal stops and harassment, just because the accused had a dashcam visible in the car and thus is automatically suspicious!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join