It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SLAUGHTER; Every 98 minutes a dog is killed by law enforcement.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Today, I read yet another thread about callous cops shooting a dog when they showed up for some routine call because they "feared for their lives". Did you miss it? Don't worry because, chances are, even if you missed that thread, another just like it will be posted tomorrow because, on average, cops shoot another dog dead every 98 minutes in America.

Filmmakers Expose Cops Shooting Dogs Nationwide

Every 98 minutes, a dog is shot by law enforcement.

Do a search for “police shoot dog” and you’ll find millions of other cases. Every day, US police are killing the most defenseless members of our families.

Friends, not even the Third Reich Ordnungspolizei went this far. That’s right. Even the Nazi police, as wretched and sinister as they were, had procedures for keeping animals safe, and leading member of the Nazi party Hermann Göring threatened to put to death those who abused animals or treated animals as “inanimate property.” (Regarding Animals, p 153.)

Many Americans still don’t know about the epidemic of cops abusing animals. And even more Americans are unaware of its connection to the growing police state.

Filming cops.com

Its a pretty sad state of affairs when the Nazis can be compared favorably with American law enforcement today. The makers of the documentary suggest that police lack the training and tools to effectively deal with pets. What ever happened to the days when animal control was called in to deal with animals? Police only know how to arrest and shoot potential threats, they don't know how to deal with animals or how to recognize a real threatening animal vs. an animal who wants to play. As a default, they just shoot to kill every time, leaving families traumatized.

They are working on a documentary to bring this issue to light in the general public. I hope that it gets lots of views and helps to change the way law enforcement deals with pets during calls.

WARNING: This video contains graphic footage of dog shootings.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This says a lot for the mental state of cops now a days when they can use pepper spray but choose to kill the animal.

Oddly enough they used to call people that tortured and killed animals psychopath's with a good chance of becoming serial killers. I would say the only thing we are missing here is torture but after watching a video or two of dogs being shot and what they go through before they die I don't see that we are missing anything.

No I don't think cops (not all cops anyway) are psychopath's but at the very least cowards with absolutely no empathy for the dogs owner what so ever and if you have no empathy for the people that you are supposed to PROTECT and SERVE then what the hell good are they ??

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Just curious...

Does anybody have an accurate figure on just how many Dogs are destroyed each year in the US?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Thats a touchy subject.

I live on the edge of a city, slightly bad part of town where the local residents train pitbulls to be killers, part of the whole culture of "some",
locals.
Nice older lady lived next door with a happy go lucky yellow lad, The killer trained dogs jumped the fence and killed the only creature this lady lived for. This was because some young punks raised these dogs to kill and fight.
Can you imagine how folks around here felt, including the police who had to show up to this scene while it was taking place.
I wonder how many of these dogs being shot by the cops were rage trained pitbulls from the hood.
Like I said Its a very touchy situation being I love dogs sometimes more than I do people.
edit on 13-2-2014 by overanocean because: terrible spelling

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

SLAYER69
Just curious...

Does anybody have an accurate figure on just how many Dogs are destroyed each year in the US?

Do we have to be shown one? Will it stop it? Would that be a figure that you would really want to see?...

... I don't know about you, but I don't want to look
-sobbing-

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

The documentary mentions some states in which legislation has been introduced to make reporting of dog and animal shootings mandatory for law enforcement but, as of this date, police are free to shoot and kill all manner of animals and never have to keep track of or report the killing in any official capacity.

I don't know where they got the "every 98 minutes" stat from but, judging by the thousands of stories on the web and the Facebook pages of victims out there, I don't doubt their numbers are at least in the ballpark.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
And if a police dog gets shot, it is murder I believe. Are they not considered badged officers? MAybe there should be a new law against shooting civilian's dogs. Why not assign the same consequences to our dogs? That would make a difference if they were liable for civil suits. I know calling animal services to an incident may take too much time, but it is still an option. What about mace and taser? Hell even a single swipe with a club is better than extinguishing someone's loved one's life. I know there will always be exceptions and justifiable times for shooting a dog, but it shooting seems the standard these days, or at least a more exercised option. I can see the concern an officer may have in a situation, but they have to weigh it all out better, imo.

Maybe the police departments can issue tranquilizer guns to keep in the car? I don't know man, but something has to change.
Maybe a refresher course in humanity should be taught. Make them think of how much they love their dog, on the force or at home, and consider this when encountering an animal that is so often just protecting the owner/property when aggressive.
Breaks my heart I tell ya, and videos

A general place to complain:
policeabuse.com...
In UK:
www.ipcc.gov.uk...
edit on 13-2-2014 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

According to this link no, they just made an estimate on cases they picked up here and there.

Click me

But it's not clear how often this kind of thing really happens. There are no state databases, and it's not a category in municipal crime reports. Neither the FBI nor the Bureau of Justice Statistics collect data on dog shootings. The U.S. Postal Service knows exactly how many mail carriers were bitten by dogs in 2012, but no one seems to know how many pet dogs were killed by law enforcement.

Another thing is that pic with the "numbers of cops killed by dog is 0", well, no cops have been killed by an Elefant, so in case of a lose Elefant, they can't shoot it.

In case of a loose dog it should be counted on bitten cops not killed, there is a whole lot of difference to "killed by gun" to killed by dog", so that picture is stupid.

Every 40 seconds, someone in the United States seeks medical attention for a dog bite.

There are approximately 800,000 bites per year in the United States that require medical treatment.
Most of the victims are children, and most of them are bitten on the face.

Almost $165 million is spent treating dog bites and 70% of dog bites occur on the owner's property.

Dog bites result in approximately 44,000 facial injuries each year. This represents between 0.5% and 1.5% of all hospital emergency room visits. Male patients slightly outnumber females. Unfortunately children comprise 60% of the dog bite victims. Severe injuries occur almost exclusively in children less than 10 years of age. The face is the most frequent target (77% of all injures). Mail carriers are an exception where 97% involve the lower extremities. We see an unusual number of dreadful injuries each spring. Severely injured patients stay an average of 4.2 days in the hospital. Dog bites cause an average of 18 deaths a year.

edit on 13-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

overanocean

Thats a touchy subject.
I love dogs and my family and friends do too.
I live on the edge of a city, slightly bad part of town where the local residents train pitbulls to be killers, part of the whole colture of "some",
of the gangsta type of kids.
Nice older lady lived next door with a happy go lucky yellow lad, The killer trained dogs jumped the fence and killed the on creature this lady lived for. This was because some young punks raised these dogs to kill and fight.
Well this lady was the nicest person you would ever know , respected by people and Law inforcement. Can you imagine how folks around here felt, including the police who had to show up to this scene while it was being taken place.
Lots of these dogs probably being killed were raised by non caring hood gangsta types that could care less about an old ladies feelings.
Like I said Its a very touchy situation being I love dogs sometimes more than I do people.
I share your sentiments wholeheartedly. I'm a black guy and trust me when I say this, I despise these so-called ''gangsta'' coward ass punks, and if it was up to me, i'd make those inhumane savages fight to the death like they make those dogs do. One can only hope...

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Mianeye

Another thing is that pic with the "numbers of cops killed by dog is 0", well, no cops have been killed by an Elefant, so in case of a lose Elefant, they can't shoot it.

In case of a loose dog it should be counted on bitten cops not killed, there is a whole lot of difference to "killed by gun" to killed by dog", so that picture is stupid.

Whenever a cop shoots a dog, they use the standard justification that they "were in fear for their lives" and had no other choice. The graphic points out the absurdity of this claim. Sure, dog bits can hurt a lot and often result in the need for hospital treatment but, the likelihood of an officer dying from a dog bite is minimal.

Cops are way too risk adverse nowadays and use the possibility that they might get a boo-boo as an excuse to escalate force in most every situation. Now cops resort to force when someone has the temerity to raise their voice to an officer. Cops need to man up. They have a job that exposes them to risks and get well paid to do it. They have no right to expect to go home untouched every night.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

It seems that there is a project in the works to find the real statistics. Apparently, no one really knows the true number.

Link

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I would say that a cop killing a dog is wrong and really shouldn't be happening, they should have the option to stay in the car and call someone who could handle the dog more properly, but in many cases it's to late and the cop is in a situation where he doesn't know how the dog will react, and calling someone to handle the dog, well, it does take some time.

Why i take this stance on this and also my comment in the other thread yesterday is cause, i got bitten ten times by a dog i knew well, it was in an apartment of a friend, i had meet the dog many times and given it tons of bagrubs and neck massage every time i was there, but this time i didn't have a chance, it just turned against me and bit me in the arm, stomach and legs while i was moving backwards from the living room to the kitchen and on to the kitchen table where the dog tried to jump up and bite me and me kicking it in the face.

The owner finaly got a grab on it and i left, it was not seriuos bites just skin penetration from near misses, but if i had fallen over while moving backwards that dog would have bitten me more seriously.

You never know when a dog will turn, there are no warnings, it just do.

The dog still live today as i saw it as me entering it's territory and it defended that territory, so i didn't want it to die because of that, but i never entered that apartment again.
edit on 13-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

I agree with you,
My heart has changed to a degree since I've moved to the area I described . Im enraged when I hear of the inhuman treatment and training that these punks inflict on these once nice pitbulls. They bring these mistreated dogs to fight so they can have money to buy drugs.
Thats a whole other story on ATS, but might be too controversial to post.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The utter disregard the police show to other peoples dogs. Yet when one of their own takes a hit, suddenly the dog is humanized as a fellow officer who ever did it gets the full 'cop killer' treatment

Hypocritical to say the least, ya?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Great Cop bashing thread. This number gives us just under 5,400 dogs per year. That sounds like alot until you figure that about 2,700,000 animals are put down each year in animal shelters(about 950,000 of which are pitbulls). That is about 534 every 98 minutes. Also, over 1,000,000 dogs each year a killed by cars.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

anton74

Great Cop bashing thread. This number gives us just under 5,400 dogs per year. That sounds like alot until you figure that about 2,700,000 animals are put down each year in animal shelters(about 950,000 of which are pitbulls). That is about 534 every 98 minutes. Also, over 1,000,000 dogs each year a killed by cars.
It's not a cop bashing thread and it's not a cop's job to act as mobile animal shelters and ''euthanize'' people's pets. And in case you didn't get the memo, cops look at all civvies as potential criminals, even you, so spare me your love for cops. And I say this with all due respect.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by anton74

Using one issue to try and invalidate another is just silly. Absolutely there is a big issue with shelters euthanizing animals in mass. Much of that falls on breeders creating an overpopulation of animals which is by no means an excuse. That however, does not change or invalidate the number of dogs killed by law enforcement presented in the OP. Also, reducing everything to just cop bashing is unfair and doesn't help to change anything.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

poloblack

anton74

It's not a cop bashing thread and it's not a cop's job to act as mobile animal shelters and ''euthanize'' people's pets. And in case you didn't get the memo, cops look at all civvies as potential criminals, even you, so spare me your love for cops. And I say this with all due respect.

Nope, hate cops and I also hate it when people take something and blow it out of proportion. By all means continue with the cop bashing. There are plenty of other problems with Law Enforcement. I'm just pointing out that in the grand schem of things, your numbers are meaningless.

Thank you for replying too my post and informing everyone reading it that, you are more concerned with the police behavior than you are with the dogs themselves.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FraggleRock

Not silly, my point is that this thread isn't about the animals, it is about cops(an appeal to emotion). The number knilled by cops actually seems rather small to me.

edit on 13-2-2014 by anton74 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2014 by anton74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Cops shoot dogs because they are un-educated cowards and Yes I will tell that to their face.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join