It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security to Activate ‘National License Plate Recognition Database’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Seems DHS is ready to activate a license plate registry for the US. What does this mean and it this just the public release of what has already been happening?

LINK TO STORY

The Department of Homeland Security is set to activate a national license plate tracking system that will be shared with law enforcement, allowing DHS officers to take photos of any license plate using their smartphone and upload it to a database which will include a “hot list” of “target vehicles”.

Given rampant concerns that the Department of Homeland Security, which is ostensibly introducing this system in the name of catching illegal aliens, is in fact an increasingly bloated federal bureaucracy designed to target the American people, the notion of the DHS enjoying access to a fully integrated nationwide license plate tracking grid is chilling, especially given the fact that the agency has funded reports which characterize “liberty lovers” as potential terrorists.

So, just what is a 'hot vehicle"? A target list? With the recent revelation that the US is ready target individuals cell phones for a drone strike, could this be another outlet? And what if there are innocents in the car? It has already been expressed it does not matter for phones. Will this lead to a Database of drivers who should be 'automatically' pulled over based on criteria such as past crimes or...gun ownership?

“Innocent people are increasingly being treated with suspicion due to the tiny chance that some offence may be committed,” writes David Jancik.
The DHS’ database will allow authorities “to determine where and when the vehicle has traveled,” using data compiled “from a variety of sources nationwide,” including “metropolitan areas” within the United States, suggesting the system may be linked in with regular surveillance cameras as it is in the UK.
The system will also allow DHS officials to take a picture of any license plate via their smartphone, upload it to the database and immediately receive an alert if the plate is on the watchlist.

Local LEO's have had access to LEDS/NCIC for awhile and have been terminated or reprimanded as explained in the article. One more way to know where you are whenever 'they' want to know.

Remember the story about outfitting public buses with cameras?

The DHS also recently awarded the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority $7 million dollars to outfit its buses with high tech 360 degree surveillance cameras. The federal agency is simultaneously supporting the rollout of ‘Intellistreets’ lighting systems that double as surveillance hubs which can record conversations.

No knock warrants and now it you are on this list you can be 'pulled over' like being pulled out if line at the airport. Weomce to the 1930's folks....
edit on 02pm28pmfu2014-02-13T15:45:11-06:000311 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
God I hate our government. I could see where such tools could be used for the good of all, but there is no trusting the people in charge not to abuse it. I can quickly see this system being use to antagonize people the local law enforcement doesn't want in towns/counties/states. Not to mention what the feds will be doing with it.

Then there are the criminal elements (outside of the government) who are going to be using this to their advantage as well.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This has been in the UK for a while now, ur tax is up... got you, insurance... got you, guy driving a car registered to a woman... what you upto? Live in a different part of the country... why you here? And so on and so on.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tebyen

It is not so much I hate the government as much as those who are in control right now and openly pissing on all of us who are citizens. In politics, it is always about helping or thanking those who got you there. What we have right now is a puppet. Someone who does not have the connections and is simply being told to shut up, read the teleprompter and throw parties. It is very very scary to a point that they are keeping the public from knowing what is going on by controlling the media. It was not this bad 10 years ago. It was not. The media is controlled by law and by fear.

Short attention spans are exactly what they want us to have right now and the majority does.

It has also been in the US for awhile but now as a National database with a list of 'problem' plates it is different. Running a tag to see if it is reported stolen or a Suspended license is one thing. Pulling them over and tracking based on something that 'could occur' is just, well, an invasion of the innocents privacy. Just as there is no such thing as a free lunch, anything that is supposed to protect us will f us in the end.
edit on 02pm28pmfu2014-02-13T16:35:02-06:000402 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

edit on 02pm28pmfu2014-02-13T16:42:04-06:000404 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I have never been more disgusted or embarrassed to be living in the United States.

I would much rather deal with the potential threat of terrorism than the constant threat of government's heavy handed tactics. I can't believe how far we have fallen just in my life time.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

I can tell you that if you have been to an airport in the U.S, then DHS, FEMA, Airport police and the Airport all have your plates. They also know exactly how many days you were there even if you somehow skip the gates or lose your parking slip... That was a sucky job.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

Im not entirely sure what the feds are doing... Each state has a license plate database since states are the ones who issue the plates in the first place. All 50 states are linked thru NLETS, and each state has the ability to attach information to license plates (like warrants).

I am guessing the Feds aren't getting information they want due to state privacy laws and is looking for an end runaround.

I am curious if this move needs to have legislation to enforce it or if Obama is going to just use executive orders. This is right up their with the national ID crap.

edit on 13-2-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Department Of Human Suppression is at it again hey?
hey how about those hundred fifty thousand SNIPER ROUNDS THEY JUST BOUGHT TOO?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I have always thought that they were following everyone with OBD-II vehicles. On-star,etc...the ability to stop a care remotely. I mean, remember cash for clunkers? What easier way to get non-traceable cars off the road than to offer money and new cars for them. The Government Bail out of the auto industry? 2+2=screwed....

join