It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Facebook Comment That Ruined a Life

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Man, Texas is harsh. Raping teenage boys, executing the retarded, state organized lynching of blacks and gays (probably next). Is it too late to give it back to Mexico?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ScorpiusMaximus

What a ridiculous series of events. When I read about how a jury should be entitled to see *all* the thread comments, my brain began to hurt. Sure, in his situation, he should pray for a jury to escape the sheer, ignorant stupidity of the people who've taken this so far. Then again, I was thinking that *somebody* should have had the power and bog-standard common sense to have stopped it early on.

Damn near half of all US members of chan boards could be jailed for saying worse...and in more detail lol

People keep sayin' 'Be careful what you put on the internet; it's your responsibility!'

In reality, folk making dumb, flamer comments like his should have them deleted or ignored. Instead, people need to be literally terrified that some weird 'perfect storm' of one spiteful idiot after another will place them in jail.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I blame parents and schools for not drumming it into kids heads at a very early age. That being able to communicate with possibly millions of people at the click of a mouse, means the word "accountability" takes on a dangerous new level.

People keep going on about sexts haunting people. But words can get you killed or locked up. Especially post 9/11 and the dozen or so school massacres.

Sure a lot of kids will not listen. But I see bad / lazy parenting as a precursor to some of this behavior .

I so wish I could mouth off about anything and get away with it. But that would really be a self deluded sense of entitlement as opposed to reality.

Eg...... Imagine if I said something extremity derogatory about a major religion. 10 years later I decide to travel to a country on business. One ruled by politics ruled by that religion..........

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Some years back, my daughter got me involved in her RPG because she needed followers... and she set up a private chat room for just the two of us, so that she could explain what my 'duties' were. (This was online between South Africa and Australia)

Of course, the buzzwords set off a reaction, and while she went 'BRB', there were one, then two or three others in the chat room... Well, I bolted!

It didn't take Eddie S to let me know what was happening, but anyone I told about it, thought I was being weirder than weird!
edit on 14/2/2014 by Maigret because: Grammatical - correction of tense.

edit on 14/2/2014 by Maigret because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

cosmicexplorer

totallackey

cosmicexplorer

This is why the nsa spying is a big deal..when people say if you have nothing to hide dont worry..but its when you take whatever you want out of context and turn it around on people....you should be able to say whatever the # you want online....even if its horrific...I fought for my country for 4 years to give people that right no matter how ugly the comments are.

Errr...no... you didn't fight four years for the right of other people to write anything they want on the Internet...if you think that, then your motivation was entirely wrong...I only hope you have stopped fighting...

I fought for many things...and peoples rights were one of them...may I ask if you were prior service?

Yes, I did serve in the military. The US has not waged any wars for the rights of people, especially these past wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Unless you consider we have a right to oil and opiates.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Wow, I read the article, and court cases in Texas sound like a street fight. And I dunno, he's been held n jail for at least 4 months over the Facebook comment.
edit on 14amFri, 14 Feb 2014 07:25:12 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

Brother I share your feelings and frustration...the truth is you fight for the guy next to you....let me give you a scenario...lets say america is invaded...or better yet our government throws down and starts carting people away....Im the guy that will do everything I can to defend us...my words may even be treasonous at this moment considering I just said id fight our own government if it ever came to such extremes.

Sure maybe not every bullet flung was in the name of the people...im bitter as hell about it...im a very high percentage disabled vet from my time...but in the back of my mind i feel I did everything I could to give people the best life I could around me when I was there or serving stateside.

I never felt that when I was a cop...at all....I never felt as a cop I was protecting anything...the jobs should be similar....you would hope right? For whatever reason I felt that pride and honor as a soldier but I never felt it as a cop. I felt law enforcement was a dirty business...greasy...manipulative...

I appreciate your service...I have always held my door open to vets and spent countless hours and dollars helping them...its not our fault our governments are idiots...we were betrayed by them on so many levels...but we still have a responsibility to the people.

I think in the future...if America doesn't snap out of its rut...and collapses...you will see that the first people that come to our aid is the soldier...at least I hope anyway...and if they dont....then it will have to be people like me and you...who know better.

So in essence yes...I feel we always represent the group of people who will fight for everyone's rights when the time comes.
edit on 14-2-2014 by cosmicexplorer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   

zazen
Man, Texas is harsh. Raping teenage boys, executing the retarded, state organized lynching of blacks and gays (probably next). Is it too late to give it back to Mexico?

But if your rich like Ethan Couche then you can muder 4 people and get away with it.
edit on 14-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Learn the lessons people, and anybody that cares about their children, keep them out of social media online, places like twitter and Facebook and those like them are nothing but drama crap and hate pools

NSA is so happy that people are willing to open their live and their children lives for them without any efforts and court papers.

Learn the hard lessons already lived by others experiences.

edit on 14-2-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Wow I already guilty doing one of the things that kids done last week. I told a troll to drink bleach haha

It stupid that you cant even by sarcastic on the internet without the thought police comeing down on you.
Meanwhile a woman is being raped and murdered cause the police are to busy dealing with angry super nerds.
edit on 14-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
"America, the land of free and home of the brave"

I'm not even american and this enrages me, no offense, but never have I seen a more moronic example of stupidity, relative to what happend to the kid.

Sure it isn't nice to say what he said, but if it has to come to we need to be careful what we type on facebook, sign me up on the next rocket out of this planet.

Once again, "Murica" embaresses itself.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
No one really cares, since it's not affecting their personal lives. But, once it does hit home, then they want sympathy. That's the price you pay, for freedom.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Universal truths are often simple....

Don't say anything, about anyone, you would not say in person.

Freedom of speech does not supersede a universal truth.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I remember when I was a little kid, (50 years ago?) my parents told me that their parents (my grandparents) came to this country and became citizens for freedom. Where they came from you could be taken away by the government and thrown in jail for something you said.

They told me that could never happen here...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
They said if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide, so you have nothing to worry about.

Now they say the context doesn't matter? Well if that's the case we have a lot of people to arrest. Wasn't Obama quoted by a staffer as saying that he's "really good at killing people"? Well context doesn't matter so lock him up i guess. I wonder how many out of context comments we could find relating to the recent super bowl. "We're gonna kill them on Sunday" etc?

Oh, what's that? They get to change the rules as they go and we have to magically know how to read their minds in order to stay out of trouble with each passing minute? Oh OK then. Sounds good....If you want a nation full of neurotic crazy people.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I wish I was shocked by this but I'm not.

Think the work they've been doing on us here in the UK with similar things has shown the rest of the world it's a piece of piss to get this stuff accepted by the majority.

America always had their freedom of speech to fall back on, hopefully they can pull this one back and keep it but I fear it is already too late.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join