It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save a turkey this year - have tofu "turkey" instead.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
All hail the noble bird...

After extended brining and the sweet caress of extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, cracked pepper, and stuffed with carrots, celery, Yukon gold potatoes, and garlic (far better than stuffing, which can cause problems with even cooking and does wonders for the bird) the "honored guest" went into the oven breast down at 500 degrees just before kickoff of the Green Bay vs Detroit game, after 30 minutes oven temp is down to 300 degrees and the carving shall commence during the first quarter of the Dallas vs New York game.

It's an all Pinot Noir Thanksgiving... 2005 Siduri Sapphire Hill and then a 2005 Sea Smoke Ten...

[edit on 22/11/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

I plan to serve 3 pheasants smoked over hickory, with giblet gravy and homemade dressing.

I'll be serving a 1987 Mouton Cadet.
An expensive wine that ages in a remarkable way. Followed with "The Macallan" and a couple of Royal Jamaica coronas in the maduro wrapper.

Would you care to know the secrets of the universe dr.?

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Tis the season of goodwill.

So grab a fat turkey,rip its feathers off,chop off its head and stuff an onion up its bum..

Nothing like it

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If you choose not to eat meat and live a life of eating beans and greens than more power to you. But please don’t come here and tell us meat eaters how horrible we are for eating meat. What this meat does, what that meat does, and so forth. I love a nice juicy thick medium rare burger topped with cheese bacon mushrooms. That right there taste great. And I’m sure your soy burger taste great…. for you. But not for me. Yes I know in order for me to eat meat millions of birds, pigs, turkeys, cows and so forth must be put to death. I accept that fact and their fate for my consumption. And yes before you say go ahead and try it I will tell you I did. 3 years ago I gave up meat for a month. There was no difference in me. Stuff just tasted different. I lost like 7 pounds but that’s about it.

In retrospect, do you know how many pesticides and dangerous chemicals are in your greens? Oh you go organic…. well how about all those organic pest control chemicals? Yeah they’re organic but how much of them stay in the plant.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I truly wish we had another excuse apart from Xmas down in Oz to pig out on roasted animals like you guys do

More power to those who consume the big bird !!!

It was meant to be

Peace and hope everyone had a great turkey day

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
May have been said already not shure i just skimmed this thread but we did not get to where we are today by eating tofu and grass.

Regard's
Lee

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I'm just wondering if everybody quit eating turkeys for thanksgiving then would all those turkeys in the grocery stores rot in vain? I had turkey for Thanksgiving sorry

But it was soooo! Goood!!! Then I ate some later while watching football and playing games. And I had some the next day for leftovers. Man that turkey has my thanks.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It is time once again...

To bump my favorite holiday thread... An ode to that noble bird, and a confessional of member's appreciation of the fruit of the vine...

I'm not sure what the simian's fare will be, but suffice it to say it will be non traditional; deer and elk being the order of the day at my present locale.

As is customary, Rhone (North and South) will be the appropriate selection with game.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I know this is going to cost me 20 points but its all I can say: YUCK!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Which "yuck" is it? The pasty bean curdles yuck, or the juicy and delicious yuck?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Yuck Monkeys, not just for delineating culinary thresholds anymore...

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

What a drag! This was nothing but more crazied cult Peta ramblings about nothing much. I click on it hoping to find a way to make a Tofo Turkey rather then more useless properganda.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Sheesh my fourth year and this thread returns

This year at the all carnivore all the time I have managed to insert meat into every course save two

Heirloom Tuscan tomato Soup with crostini, tropical lobster relish and cream fresh

Turkey Breast butterflied and stuffed with wild rice and carats stuffing

Side;

haricot Vert with pancetta and onion relish
baconed / truffled mac and cheese
creamed corn
cranberry and pomegranate chutney
micro greens with thyme vinaigrette with crispy pancetta

All made at home.

We are pairing the soup with a N.V. Krug Grande Cuvée

and the rest of the meal will have a 2004 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Kanzler Vineyard.

Desert will be homemade brownies filled with marscapone and encased in dark chocolate. If Im up to it I have a 375 ml bottle of the 2002 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume. (I know its a bit young)

[edit on 11/26/08 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Damn you (for your good taste). Now I want what you're having and I already bought the stupid turkey.

I personally don't care much for turkey... but my kids do

Oh well, guess I'm stuck with it.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Im not a turkey guy either but the kid and wife asked and every year we usually do Prime Rib etc. so I made an exception

I almost pulled the trigger on a Buffalo bone in prime rib roast but balked at the $45.00 a pound
the specialy shop wanted

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
[As is customary, Rhone (North and South) will be the appropriate selection with game.

One of each? thats alot of drinking even for a simian

Alas my Rhone collection is all southern and the average vinetage is 2004.2

The only think really ready now that i could offer up is a
2001 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape
1999 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée

If you want to wait a few years then good times
Or if you bother to come by for dinner now and then

Guilt monkeys not just for mothers anymore

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Another year...

Another opportunity to extol the virtues of that incomparable dining companion... Meat. Well, and wine too... But meat is the meat of discussion in this particular thread. I'm unsure which critters (yes, more than one) will offer up their tasty parts for my upcoming Thursday gastronomical orgy... Suffice to say, they will be unique and well matched to the vino at hand.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostryder21
I love a nice juicy thick medium rare burger topped with cheese bacon mushrooms. That right there taste great.

It might taste good but your body will never be able to fully digest it. If your gonna eat meat at least learn proper food combining...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee
May have been said already not shure i just skimmed this thread but we did not get to where we are today by eating tofu and grass.

Yup your right, we got here eating massive amounts of fruit

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Or get a heritage bird. Raised by loving small local farmers where the birds are allowed to roam and be birds. They taste different, but are sooo good, and worth the price.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
Every year millions of turkeys are sacrificed in order that Americans can show their thanks. How about all people NOT have turkey this year - the following facts from the PETA site might be of interest to ATS members. Let's give the turkeys something to be thankful for too?

"More than 45 million turkeys are killed every year for Thanksgiving alone, and more than 300 million are killed for food throughout the year in the United States. These beautiful, inquisitive, intelligent birds endure lives of suffering and painful deaths.

Did you know?

• Factory-farmed birds are fed antibiotics and have been purposely bred to gain an enormous amount of weight in a short period of time. This leads to heart attacks, crippled feet, and painful, swollen joints. The bones and leg muscles of many birds give out under the weight of their huge upper-bodies, and countless others are barely able to stand.

• On factory farms, turkeys live for months in sheds where they are packed so tightly that flapping a wing or stretching a leg is nearly impossible. Most are given no more than three and a half square feet of space. They stand in waste, and urine and ammonia fumes burn their eyes and lungs.

• To keep the
overcrowded birds from scratching and pecking each other to death, part of their beaks and toes are sliced off with hot blades, and no anesthetics are used.

• Millions of people become sick and thousands die each year from eating contaminated flesh. Studies indicate that one out of every eight turkeys is infected with salmonella bacteria.

• Turkey contains no fiber but has lots of fat and cholesterol. For example, a roasted turkey’s leg contains 724.5 milligrams of cholesterol and derives 42 percent of its calories from fat—more than many cuts of beef."

etc etc

www.peta.org...

In case you haven't guessed a vegetarian here - Tofurkey dinner here on thanksgiving.

[edit on 22-11-2004 by Mynaeris]

Forgive me if this has already been said, I haven't read all the posts.

Did you know that Monsanto owns a 98% market share of all soy beans in the United States?

Tofurkey, while privately owned, still uses monsanto beans.

not as clean as it all seems.....

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join