It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save a turkey this year - have tofu "turkey" instead.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hey, I'm higher up on the food chain, what can I tell you?
Hey, can you pass the gravy please?

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Save a turkey this year - have tofu "turkey" instead.

How many of those do I need to avoid a one-line warning?

Just for good measure.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Dont forget to save a horse; Ride a COWBOY ...ALSO.

I'd rather eat soap.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Here is a link to a study published earlier this year on arsenic levels in chicken. An independent laboratory certifies the results:

www.organicconsumers.org...

The study goes on to say that (1) poultry farmers use a long-standing practice of feeding small amounts of arsenic to poultry; the claim is that there is some (?) benefit in the birds' skin and feathers as a result. (2) These same long-standing feed additive practices also are used with turkeys and other fowl.

For Thanksgiving, I prepare either a large stuffed winter squash or we bake up a quorn roast with vegetarian gravy. Either of those options are very yummy.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
not to be insensitive to your "reasons" as a vegan. but i call bull#.

Testing of 155 samples from uncooked supermarket chicken products found 55percent carried detectable arsenic.

bolding mine.

where is the cutoff for "detectable" levels? im imagining this is either parts per million or possibly per billion. that is in now way a health threat. beyond that they give NO real world figures, as in the amounts detected, the processes used, etc. i will admit i skimmed the article but i did not see any mention of the true amount.

correcting my mistake. they mentioned 220parts ber billion was detected, however it takes approx. dose of 0.3 mg/kg for adverse effects to occur. this is a non issue.

either way, given the option of a vegetarian thanksgiving or soap...

Originally posted by dgtempe
[I'd rather eat soap.

[edit on 11-18-2006 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
And I'm sporting my rather lame T-Day avatar (looks like the monkey and turkey are on a date), and does not reflect my true intent (which is carnivorous, not carnal). A wild turkey (not Wild Turkey... AKA "the kickin' chickin") is the noblest bird to be had, then a fresh free range, and last is a frozen fowl that's been injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected (a little T-Day reference that may elude some, but hopefully not others). The modern means that the internal temperature is raised is also an important factor... I prefer smoking my turkey, with a peanut oil deep fry a close second... Baking, broiling, and turkey sushi are "also ran" methods. The preparation of the bird is an often overlooked step, brining. Many a dry Thursday could have been avoided if only this had been done. I used brining on all forms of fowl and find it a excellent technique regardless of method of preparation.

Next installment: The beer is here, and the wine is fine... Gourmet recommendations for this Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I wonders what powerful Necromancer revived this here thread?

Never the less; I rather puke up my own guts and then eat them, then have to eat such an abomination as a "tofu turkey"

All Hail the Perky Turkey!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I wonders what powerful Necromancer revived this here thread?

Is Necromonkey... A fearsome being who can raise ire, blood pressures and the occasional thread...

Undead Monkeys, not just for ab-zombinations anymore...

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
In response to ForsakenWayfarer:

In considering the risk of exposure to arsenic in the environment in general, it's important to keep in mind that arsenic levels accumulate in people. One U.S. government estimate of fatal arsenic levels is the following:

Minimum Fatal Dose Level:

Fatal human dose 70-180 mg depending on weight

That quote is from the following link:

toxnet.nlm.nih.gov...

Although I haven't eaten chicken or turkey for some years now, other members of my family are non-vegetarians, so that's why I got concerned about those study results. -- Thanks for reading.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I have been remiss...

In my holiday thread bumping duties. For the new members, this is one of my favorite holiday threads... The battle between good and evil... Real turkey or some fake bean byproduct... I've said my peace in this thread, what say you?

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Mmmmmmmm...... turkey.

Oh yeah baby! I'm gonna be shovin' stuffing up a turkeys tooshie, and cooking his arse.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I retain my stance, elect Forsaken for guaranteed real turkey.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
While I respect all of you who will be enjoying meat on Thursday, I will not be. I am not a fan of PETA, and I am disappointed that the OP used them as a source, but I personally agree with the sentiment of the thread.

I feel better not eating meat- just healthier and more energetic in general. And I would not call myself a vegetarian, or anything like that. I just don't enjoy meat. If I think for a second about what I am eating, and where it came from (the fact that it used to be a living creature) I literally get sick to my stomach. It just feels wrong to me.

I love animals. I have several pets, and I frequently feed the ducks, geese, turtles, etc. that live in the lake begind my house. I just don't feel right about eating a creature that I would make friends with. You can call me a hippie... I am used to my friends and husband doing it.

And I will agree with all of those who have said that turkeys do not seem especially attractive or intelligent. But it can be ugly and stupid all it wants... I just don't want to think that it had to die for my meal.

And...

Originally posted by Tuatara
We were meant to attack and eat prey, that's why are eyes have the ability to estimate/calculate distance- a property called paralax.

Parallax isn't a property we "have." It's something that we "observe." It's the apparent shift in the orientation of an object, depending on the angle at which the object is viewed. Like when the driver and passenger of a car look at the speedometer at the same time, and the speed looks slightly different to each of them. That was my favorite thing to learn about in Physics, and to be honest-- it's all I really remember.

Enjoy your tofu or your turkey... whatever you have. I just hope that all of you here have a wonderful Thanksgiving with people that you care about! Have a great holiday!!

[edit on 20-11-2007 by TheHypnoToad]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
yep.. tofurkey it should be....

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I will just be having a veggie soup and a veggie sandwich for thanksgiving. I'm away from family right now (thank goodness)...I hate the holidays. But yeah...no turkey for me. They're just too cute.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Tofu turkey, what in heavens will I do with my spam turkey mold! Blasphemy I say! Actually have my vat of chicken soup, ala Jewish penicillin made for my most unfortunately ill tail. I forgot how much work it was to make, I actually had to lay down a bit. Spam, the other mistery meat.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I would agree whole heartedly with saving the many lives of farmed animals waiting for slaughter.

However, these turkeys have already been laid upon our tables. What would become of all the white and dark meat if we all just ate tofurkey? I'll do my part with 3 gallons of grease making sure that none of those frozen birds go to waste. In life, we have to be opportunists.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Ooghhh, fried turkey, Lawds yes, I'm breathin' hard. M-o-o-n, that spells turkey! Where ya' live homes? lol

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Hah! interesting concept, I love how this thing comes around every year. Almost like my good friend Tom the Turkey!

How about..."Save a soybean, eat something fowl"?

Two words.

Gobble. Gobble.

[edit on 11-20-2007 by Loki]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
A nice nut roast makes a good alternative I find!!

I read an article yesterday, that in the Uk, the price of Turkeys will rise to maybe £50 each this year!! That is $102!!

The reason for this is that there has been a break-out of bird flu in some areas of the Uk caused by disgusting over-farming and dirty breeding methods. YUK!!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join