It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save a turkey this year - have tofu "turkey" instead.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
If you are a hunter and can bag a wild turkey that has lived a full life in its native habitat, enjoy! (But mind the buckshot!) If you live on a farm and raise your birds in a humane fashion, your care and nuturing entitle you to sacrifice the lives of your charges to sustain the lives of your own kind. If you live in a city and buy big, mutated, drug filled turkeys wrapped in plastic, you are an unwitting dupe of the corporate agribusinesses that are eroding America's environment, health and sustainability. Awareness and process are important. If you must eat a turkey and can neither hunt nor raise it, buy a "heritage turkey," one that has not been bred to the point of extinction, from an organic farmer who raises them in a compassionate manner. They will be more expensive, but they will be free of synthetic hormones, antibiotics, bad karma and corporate greed.

I have chosen a vegetarian lifestyle for many reasons, both out of compassion for my fellow creatures and concern for the environment. I don't begrudge anyone the right to choose their own diet, but please make a conscious choice. Don't buy a big "butterball" because that's what all the media are telling you to do.
edit on 24-11-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Or you can get a fresh turkey from COSTCO... Nothing like fueling the economic dynamo that is the wharehouse retail leader...

Scored a 20 pound fresh never frozen turkey from them... Brined, roasted and soon to be consumed!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Sorry, tofu is disgusting.
And I'm sure if turkeys were in our position, they would eat us too.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Im cookiing a traditional thanksgiveing dinner right now with all the fixin's..We onley have it once a year and there is no way im feeding my family tofu "turkey"..I have no guilt about eating this Tom turkey..Happy Thanksgiveing to all
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
To each their own, my brother in-law is a vegan. I have no problem with that and he either brings something for himself or I will make egg plant parm for him.
Had the best natural Pa. turkey today. My brother shot it hunting. Can't beat wild.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The arm-long ingredient list on the average tofu turkey box is worrisome. Soy is not necessarily good for you, esp highly processed soy.

I help my local economy by ordering and putting a deposit down on a free range local bird. The only birds slaughtered are the ones customers have bought.

The bird is always prayed over, and we give thanks that it gave its life for us. It is lovingly prepared, consumed, and used every bit.

This is the way our family has always done food. We do our best to appreciate the plants and animals that nourish us every day, not just on holidays.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
It's time...

Once again... State your carnivorous predilection or your preference that can only be culinary misery, a vegetarian Thanksgiving...

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
i'm saving one, having a nice prime rib.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OceanSpray

Aaaah... That's the carnivorous spirit!

Nothing says "Happy Holidays" like feasting on an animal carcass...

Now that's a prime rib...

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The turkeys are going to get killed anyway. After all, they're raised for this specific purpose. And eating tofu is like eating any soy-based food, and results in an overproduction of estrogen in males, leading to such things as growing breasts and shrinking testicles.

So no thanks.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

I have recently been practicing a "vegetarian" diet 95% of the time (I've eaten meat when its origin is legit) but I wanted to point out a common point amongst many vegetarians I know that really doesn't make sense..

HOW are you going to SAVE a turkey from being killed, by not eating one..

say in the "best of all possible situations" (in the eyes of PETA) absolutely NO ONE buys a turkey for thanksgiving this year.. all of those turkeys then REALLY died in vain..

I respect the consciousness of all beings as equal to my own (but separate
) and hence do not "pity" them..

I just refrain from meat so I push myself to find creative alternatives.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I appreciate vegetarians discipline and choice.. I even done a veggie diet back in the days I use to compete.. I couldn't spend as many hours needed in the gym so, the veggie diet seemed to keep my endurance levels up..

What I hate about vegetarians is their holier than thou attitude they take with everyone else..

I didn't crawl to the top of the food chain to eat lettuce.. Thanksgiving is my all time favorite holiday and I throw down on some turkey.. As a matter of fact we do a spiral ham also.. We average 25 to 30 people over during the holiday..

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
NO BLOODY WAY!!! that Tofu crap is grose!! and Quorn! what’s with this rubbish??

I’m getting

1 x duck
1 x chicken
1 x Turkey
1 x beef join
1 x pork joint
1 x lamb (whole) everyone’s favourite and the younger the better! tender lamb!...

I go all out every year for me and my family!!

turkeys should only be hatched for one thing and that’s to eat like most of the above.

I’m so hungry now!!! hmmmmm

rgds Jay

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
My sister calls Thanksgiving the "Annual Turkey Holocaust." Kinda in jest though. We both still eat meat. I tried the vegetarian thing. Love steak too much for one thing, and I could NEVER abolish sushi, even when I was more or less a vegetarian (I'd still sometimes break down and have some delicious sushi.)

I just decided to be grateful for what I had when I had it. I am a girl with a poor wallet so whatever I have is whatever I am grateful for. If I had to kill it myself, I don't think I could, but if I was starving enough, yeah, of course I probably could, unless it was a very beloved pet that is...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Veal calves are raised in boxes, these boxes have more room in them than airplane passengers in their seats, just to add a bit more to the animal rights discussion, I don't eat veal, but I'm having turkey for Christmas.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

Problem is that the Tofu Turkeys have been extinct from these parts for a number of years no. So we raise our own now in farms. Shame I know. The Tofu was hunted into extinction. Oh there are other wild turkeys out there.....but they'll kill yea.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
MMMMMmmmmM~~!!! My mouth is salivating!!! Turkey, Duck, Chicken!!! TURDUCKEN!!! I eat it!!! I eat it good!

Have fun with the tofu!!! I'll be passed out after my food coma kicks in!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Mirthful Me
reply to post by OceanSpray

Aaaah... That's the carnivorous spirit!

Nothing says "Happy Holidays" like feasting on an animal carcass...

Now that's a prime rib...

Eat like a predator and not prey!!! WOOHOO!! Im making a turkey and 2 deer legs... then we graze at family feasts for a few days. I adore my inner cavewoman.

There are no vegetarians in my family.. either side. Serious peer pressure, you know.If one of the inlaws with those strange hispter ideas brought a tofu turkey.. it would become a Jerry Springer episode: Insulted Indians Holiday Scalping Fiasco...

Wonder if I should post my deer leg rub recipe.... hmm...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Advantage

Yes... You should...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Mirthful Me

Advantage

Yes... You should...

Sorry I dont really measure this.. just add and subtract to make a paste of it and smear it on the leg.. cause a 15 lb leg is kinda hard to keep in the fridge.. you can put it outside in a cooler weather permitting.My dad would wrap it in a sack and throw it on the porch roof by the drawstring... let that dangle off to pull it down and cook. LOL! I am slightly less crazy, so I just wrap it and let it sit over night.. longer the better. If you do this right and take your time.. that tough as leather leg will be able to be cut with a fork. The longer you leave it and the thousand cuts technique will accomplish the flavor and tenderness. Take a sharp knife ( or a manual bladed tenderizer) and cut the tar out of the leg. Short stabs to rub that paste into. Depending on the deer/age/etc... those legs can get pretty tough and fibrous. Do it good
Hope that horrifies the vegans, but fortunately we use the WHOLE animal and not just the "good" parts... these things are necessary. Using what most discard on THANKSGIVING... imagine that... giving thanks for ALL.
Sometimes you have to coop holidays into what you personally believe and not the happy NDN feast with the Eurocentrics.. LOL! Ill not jump on that soap box today.

Liquid smoke ( I have a recipe for real home made liquid smoke on here somewhere..)
Vinegar or lemon juice.. the acid will help break down the toughness of the cut. I leave mine on the bone though... and it does fine. You can cut the muscle off the bone and use the bone for the stock to roast it in.. boil the bone and etc. Either way its good.
olive oil.. Im bad and my cardiovascular system hates me.... I use warm lard!
thyme leaves
Crumbled up rosemary
crush a few juniper berries
salt
crushed peppercorns
7 or 8 garlic cloves

Basically ANY conbo of your favored herbs will do AS LONG AS you always include the vinegar/lemon juice, oil, garlic and salt. I particularly like the taste of the juniper berries

Happy Roasting!!!

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join