It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save a turkey this year - have tofu "turkey" instead.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007

the farmed raised turkeys are not beautiful, intelligent birds they are ugly and very dumb!they will drown themselves if left outside in the rain. they can fly but usually don't unless being chased. they do not suffer a painful death. before they are killed they are knocked unconsious by a small electric shock.

Perhaps they ARE more beautiful and more intelligent than you know.
And really - reading this description is suppose to make them more
appealing to kill and eat??
I hope you don't reincarnate as a turkey... It could make for a very painful lesson.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I get the whole cruelty to animals thing, although I think PETA takes it a bit too far sometimes. Chef Chris Cosentino makes a good point in the interview below.

Forward to around 3min.

Chris Cosentino Interview

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
No, I will not eat a tofu turkey. I have already harvested a bird during hunting season. There are many reasons why I hunt. Population control, because there aren't enough natural predators. Population control, because there isn't enough food for large flocks. Population control, because large numbers of wild animals lead to diseased population. Population control, because large flocks devastate cropland. Population control, because turkeys can reproduce like rabbits.

Most impotatntly, wild game doesn't have all the chemical and hormones that are pumped into Jenny-O turkeys.

Meat its the reason we have pointy teeth.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by jacksmoke]

[edit on 9-11-2009 by jacksmoke]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacksmoke
Most impotatntly, wild game doesn't have all the chemical and hormones that are pumped into Jenny-O turkeys.

Meat its the reason we have pointy teeth.

Damn right, check out the interview I posted above. Do you think we are looking in the wrong direction? With all of the chemicals they pump in to the farmed animals you would think that people would understand. Poor sanitary conditions, etc. NOPE, Obama killed a fly.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Nope sorry, tofu contains soy, soy is far worse for you than.
If you care about your reproductive organs, thyroid and other hormone producing glands, please for your bodies sake eat a turkey.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

Awesome vid Kemik, thanks for the link. next time I am in SFO I gotta find that place. I would bag on soy, but I don't know enough about the negative effects to post intelligently. I will say say i don't drink soy milk, because I have never seen teats on a bean. Leads me to beleive that a soybean spends alot of time in a factory

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

you've never seen a farm raised turkey in person have you?

Any animal that will look up at the sky with its mouth open when its raining and drown itself isn't very smart. and any animal that gets freedom and just stands their waiting to get caught again isn't very smart.

farm raised turkeys are nothing like their cousins the wild turkey.

and oh yeah i'd rather get a shock that knocks me out before my throat is cut than get hit in the head with a baseball bat that has a spike drove through it.

next time why don't you add something useful to the discussion instead of trying to insult people

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
How about a Tofu Shoot!

You can break tradition and still have the essence of being a provider.

Just take the tofu out in the back yard and put it next to a big tree, where it can hide. Then take a few shots at it with a 12 gauge. Just like the real thing! Perhaps it will even taste better.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12

Unfortunately, if you are trying to avoid GMO's, organic doesnt cut it. In America, when something is labeled organic, it means it was grown organically-the seeds themselves could still be "round-up ready" or other GM....

Being that I eat organic, I'm very sure that the organic label doesn't include GMO. But if someone finds something different and can post it, I really need to know lol.

I eat organic as well. Organic labeling in america is based on the growing method, not the seeds. If you eat anything from morningstar farms, gardenburger, kellogg, and many, many others, organic or not, you are eating GMO's.

Like I said, monsanto owns a 98% market share of the soy beans in america. And their mission is to make every single one "round-up ready"

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
PETA's Turkey Rights Ad Banned During Macy's Parade

Dear God. Thank you for the turkey we're about to eat. And for the turkey farms where they pack them into dark, tiny little sheds for their whole lives. Thank you for when they burn their feathers off when they're still alive and for when turkey gets kicked around like a football and killed by people who think it's fun to stomp on their little turkey heads. And special thanks for all the chemicals and dirt and poop that's in the turkey we're about to eat. Oh, and thank you for rainbows.

PETA link with vid.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I'm about to eat so much damn turkey. It's the food chain, predators eat prey. I guess maybe it could be more humane. regardless I'm going to eat turkey. sucks to be a turkey.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dajanksta

I eat meat, though not nearly as much as I used to ... but when I do, I'd rather not have it with a side of torture.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

I had ham. (no turkeys were killed in the making of this message)
Really, tofu is just bleck...JMO.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
As I was making my way through DFW yesterday...

I stopped and had a smoked turkey sandwich at Cousin's Barbeque and I instantly thought of this thread... One of my all time favorites.

It was fun to bust it out during something other than the holiday season.

Smokin' Monkeys, not just for a pink ring anymore...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Oh 'save the turkeys' Is it? How about us chickens, you speciest?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/805a2b552567.gif[/atsimg]

More seriously How about these?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2bba190f1a54.jpg[/atsimg]

Hopw about the creatures were torture and kill but dont eat!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/640acfbb2714.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Save the Human, help a starving child. Lets worry about our own species before we worry about others. If we can't show kindness to one another how can we ever expect people to treat animals better.

Besides animals are to tasty not to eat.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Save the Human, help a starving child. Lets worry about our own species before we worry about others. If we can't show kindness to one another how can we ever expect people to treat animals better.

This is good point and I agree regards our behaviours, but then there is no shortage of humans either. Moreover caring for each other, Isn't nessesarily a priority, since if we fail to care for other species and their enviroment, we endanger our own future too.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
An example given as a "healthy" alternative to turkey is tofu? Given the conspiratorial nature of this site I'm surprised anyone would recommend a food that requires more processing to make then it does for the turkey and the fact that most if not all tofu is manufactured strictly by subsidiaries of companies based in china, and very few in other Asian countries. few if an are strictly American companies solely. The Consumption of tofu has been linked with dementia in certain age groups in more than one study. Leading me to believe that certain if not most processing of tofu contains or adds mixtures of chemicals and compounds that are destructive to physical and mental health. Not to mention the fact that more living material is "killed" to produce the same amount of tofu to make one tofurkey then it takes to kill one turkey. Where is the sanity there, its not OK to kill a turkey but its OK to "kill" millions upon millions of plants, which are a living reproducing species? Now I'm no tree huger here far from it and in actuality I believe both the manufactured tofu and most slaughtered turkeys are currently unhealthy due to the many different additives such as HGH, antibiotics and other pathogens these food items are exposed to before human consumption. But I am trying to point out the sheer hypocrisy of stating the killing of one living thing over another is right as an alternative simply based on the intelligence factor, either its OK to kill both for nutrition and survival reasons or its not ok to kill either. Just some food for thought.

(Pardon the pun it seemed to fit at the moment.)

[edit on 20-4-2010 by LurkingSleipner]

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
We are now marching headlong...

Into another Turkey day, and I am making the obligatory bump of my most favorite of threads...

I will be dining on twin turkey efforts this year... Smoked and fried... Wine selections to be announced...

On a more on topic course... Tofurkey still sucks, and the use of turkey for a sumptious Fourth Thursday celebratory meal is most appropriate...

People agree...

Noble Bird Monkeys, not just what is for dinner anymore...

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Not sure why, but the last time I cooked a turkey the delightful aroma made me nauseous.

So, I don't want to cook a turkey this year.

I think I'll have fish. Surely the pilgrims had fish on the thanksgiving table. Right?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join