It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ninth Circuit holds Second Amendment secures a right to carry a gun

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   

drneville
If you live in a country where you feel that one must carry a gun for their own safety, there's something wrong with that country.

I just don't get that

You ever spend any time in the Rockies, or the Cascades, or the Appalachian Mtns or anywhere else that has apex predators? That concept includes certain parts of cities, as well...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

nancyliedersdeaddog
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

It takes a lot of skill to shot a gun accurately and I know from first hand experience. I have only shot a gun a handful of times and it's hard to hit a target especially if it's moving, the first time I picked up a gun I thought it wasn't going to be that hard (I have great hand eye coordination) but I was wrong . The guy who said that must think shooting a gun is just like playing call of duty or Deer Hunter.

Just because you suck at shooting doesn't mean everybody else does.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

drneville

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by drneville

because method of death is what matters. I mean, it is far more pleasant to die being bludgeoned with a hammer than being shot.

LOL...its always the same: people try to narrow the discussion down to "gun deaths" instead of "deaths" to falsify an argument. As if it really matters how someone kills you. And as if a hammer or knife is more pleasant to die by.

Ah.. the hammer and the knife reply,
Shooting a person requires no special skills, stand 30 feet away, aim and pull te trigger.
Now you try to kill a full grown man with a knife or a hammer, hand to hand combat, many (believe me) would think twice about it.
Kind of a lame comparison...

What?

Killing a full grown man with a knife or a hammer?

Not hard. Most of our wives can do it easily (and are not afraid to prove it, bless their hearts).

"Hand to hand combat?"

Seriously?

No. I won't believe you. Reality proves you wrong.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Here's another what-if.

What if the FBI didn't get in trouble for not accurately tracking the statistic on self defense?

What if it were even possible to accurately track it?

What if the minimum wage were higher? Would that reduce gun crime?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

wasn't there a little something about:

God made man, Sam Colt made them equal?

edit on 15-2-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

bl4ke360

nancyliedersdeaddog
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

It takes a lot of skill to shot a gun accurately and I know from first hand experience. I have only shot a gun a handful of times and it's hard to hit a target especially if it's moving, the first time I picked up a gun I thought it wasn't going to be that hard (I have great hand eye coordination) but I was wrong . The guy who said that must think shooting a gun is just like playing call of duty or Deer Hunter.

Just because you suck at shooting doesn't mean everybody else does.

As a "country boy" who has been shooting since his earliest memories, got a gun for my 7th B-day, and another at 8 and 9 and 10..... I have to say, you know nothing of fire arms, there is not one person on this planet that can just pick up a gun and at the start be a good shot. Especially with a pistol.

I served for 6 years in the ARMY, more specifically in the artillery, I have been shooting my entire life, I am a good shot, qualified expert every time in the service, I believe this to be from a life time of shooting. In my youth I would miss a lot when compared to my father and grandfather, once experience kicked in though, I was right up there with them.

Picking up a gun and being a sniper is not possible 999,999 times out of 1,000,000 , your thinking so proves your lack of any understanding of firearms as a whole, and your lack of experience in said field.

It is like anything else, one out of millions can just naturally do it sure, but the rest of us must practice to hone our skills.

Please stick to what you actually know................nothing that I know of, but I dont know you so I couldnt honestly say.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

LadySkadi
reply to post by SourGrapes

wasn't there a little something about:

God made man, Sam Colt made them equal?

edit on 15-2-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

Exactly!!!!

A 150 lbs grandma shouldnt be "required" to face off hand to hand with a 220 lbs man, she has the exact same rights to protection and liberty as he does, she should get an equalizer to make the equation more even.

The gun does this. With practice and experience anyone in just a few weeks to a few months could hit a can at 50 feet with a shotgun, or 15 feet with a pistol 99% of the time.

It is not secret knowledge that defending ones self from a physically superior aggressor is made equal with a firearm in the hands of an experienced shooter.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Ah well, bless you all

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

oblvion

Picking up a gun and being a sniper is not possible 999,999 times out of 1,000,000 , your thinking so proves your lack of any understanding of firearms as a whole, and your lack of experience in said field.

Then I guess I must be 1 out of 1,000,000 because I had no problem aiming the first time I started shooting. There are people who have to play the piano for years before they can even play a simple song. Maybe you're just one of those types of people.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

bl4ke360

oblvion

Then I guess I must be 1 out of 1,000,000 because I had no problem aiming the first time I started shooting. There are people who have to play the piano for years before they can even play a simple song. Maybe you're just one of those types of people.

I honestly couldn't tell you, I started shooting before I could even write, I killed my first coon at 4, then went to rabbits and squirells, to deer, now that I live in Texas I hope to get a hog at some point.

The first I remember of not being able to hit a target is at 6 when my dad put some cans about 300 yards out and him and my grandfather were hitting them and I couldn't. That was 30 years ago, so I am not sure how accurate those memories even are. I do though remember my first shot at a living target, the coon got aced in 1 shot, which is difficult at night at a high angle for a small child, it could have just been luck for all I remember.

The point is however, that some people are just born to do certain tasks, tiger woods and golf, Mozart and music, Shakespeare and writing, Einstein and physics etc...

Most people are not so skilled from the start in most things, most people have to acquire the skills to do these things, they dont have them from birth.

So yes it is nice you were a sniper from birth ( lies obviously as this level of skill at the start is unheard of unless your a savant) but the vast majority of folks are not, call it 99.999999999% of folks are not, and all but the 1 in a million are lying if they say they are.

Which are you?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Will you please answer my questions on page 4? I understand your view on guns and to be honest I don't personally have any desire to own a gun but the 2nd amendment is extremely important. The thing is people have done plenty of studies showing that most of the gun laws people are proposing wouldn't of stopped the vast majority of mass shootings. Every year there are somewhere near 989,883 cases where people have used a gun to defend themselves and others from a criminal according to Journal of Quantitative Criminology, America has to many guns to successfully take them all away unless they (government) created a police state. If they took all the guns away the criminals wouldn't turn there's in plus it would create a huge black market, kill jobs, and leave people defenseless. In America it's became extremely hard to get people with mental illness committed, you can't force the mentally ill to take their meds, we have a thing called doctor patient confidentiality, and doctors can only report their patients to the police if they are a harm to themselves or others.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

drneville
reply to post by butcherguy

934 people have died in mass shootings over the past seven years, the USA TODAY analysis shows.
In the 71 shootings that involved someone killing his or her family members, 376 victims died.
Most of those killings occurred at home.
Dozens more were killed by acquaintances, neighbors and co-workers.

Criminals ???

Let's look at it unrealistically, ban people & uninvent guns. Face it, the root has always been a people problem, "The free will to kill".

934 people due to mass shootings / "The free will to kill"
376 victims dead in family violence / "The free will to kill"

Perpetrators of mass shootings are going to kill, regardless of what weapons they use. If somebody weilds the will to want you dead, they'll do so.

But I take you'll find a crafty way to retort because you, and some other members, have deep, personal issues with guns. In the end, you and other agendists all want a plan to save you from yourselves and humanity. Get over it, you'll never uninvent guns & you'll never take away a criminals will to possess one.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

sulaw
reply to post by macman

I think this is awesome, however I don't think the "Republic of California" citizens will feel "ok" with this.

You're right.

I don't feel ok with it.

I think it abso-f$*%@^*%-lutely WONDERFUL!

Now if only we could get rid of Frankenstein and the fear mongering apologists, we might actually get somewhere.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Yeah, I have watched Sons of Anarchy. And we all know that whats on TV is true. Its why we keep getting articles posted on the internet, which is also always a truthful source.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

nancyliedersdeaddog

drneville

934 people have died in mass shootings over the past seven years, the USA TODAY analysis shows.
In the 71 shootings that involved someone killing his or her family members, 376 victims died.

Criminals ???

If I shoot someone or go shoot up a school I'm a Criminal, if my neighbor who might be a good guy shots me he's a criminal. I see you like the what if game so think about all the innocent people America could save if we turned into a police state, the police didn't need warrants to search personal property or to listen in on phone calls, we stopped the sell of Alcohol, and we would arrest people for having dangerous weapons like knives/bats out in public without a good reason. I do have a question would you be for banning the sale of Alcohol to the general public due to the thousands of innocent people killed each year by drunk drivers and domestic violence? Don't forget the number of people each year killed by some who has been drinking outnumbers people killed by assault weapons. My last question is do you believe 9/11 was an inside job or there could be a possibility it was carried out by the government or they let it happen?

Edit: Here are some stats about crime in Belgium compared to the US- www.eupedia.com...
and www.nationmaster.com...

edit on 14-2-2014 by nancyliedersdeaddog because: (no reason given)

Hi,
I do see your point here, to many guns in the states.
Now if they ban them, lots of guns going to "dissapear", and criminals would not turn them in....
So they let you keep your guns so they are traceable.

As for the murders over here, mostly east european gangs that off each other, common people not so much.
And yes, we have also nutcases "Kim De Gelder" went in to a daycare center and started stabbing people, 3 dead and 12 injured, what had be the outcome if he had a gun.

As for alcohol, big problem over here, that's our culture... Beer you can get simply out of a vending machine here.
Also drunk driving, over here they don't arrest you. If you get stopped while drunk you can call somebody to pick you up and the next day you pick your car up where you left it.
A few months later you go to court and pay a fine.

If I watch something on America, your under arrest for just about anything, scary tought.
Just don't happen here, if you do get to go to jail for repeated light offences, you get an invitation and need to go there yourself.
But sentences like up to a half year jail time, they just get suspended because of the few jails over here.

Now 9/11 that's just terrible and my heart goes out to al the victims and family.
Inside job ? IMHO not, but i find it a bit strange how someone with a few flying lessons can pull off that kind of maneuver with a passenger jet ???

Peace

edit on 15-2-2014 by drneville because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Some countries - just some - faced with an ambiguous comma in their constitution that lead to 10's of thousands of deaths of citizens every year may feel compelled to get in there and clean up the language. Some countries. Not all.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I am rather surprised they took the side of the Constitution. Have you heard what Connecticut Gun Owners are doing in protest of the new law requiring their assault weapons to be registered?

themindfulpatriot.blogspot.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Now 9/11 that's just terrible and my heart goes out to al the victims and family.
Inside job ? IMHO not, but i find it a bit strange how someone with a few flying lessons can pull off that kind of maneuver with a passenger jet ???

I have a bit of experience flying (just a bit, mind you) and I wouldn't hesitate to say that flying a plane is rather easy. Taking off takes a bit more knowledge and skill while landing is something else entirely.

As long as I didn't have to take off or land a passenger jumbo type jet, I believe I could fly it into a building no sweat. Those who have never flown a plane may think that a few lessons are not enough...well...they just haven't flown a plane.

If you can drive a car, have taken ground school (for flying...the prerequisite) and have even a couple of hours of flight time then it can be done. I flew my first cross country in a Cessna with only 30 minutes of orientation flight under my belt. I didn't get lost and with the instructor sitting next to me I sweated out a landing in a cross wind. It's not brain surgery...

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

The Rockies and Cascades exist in Canada as well and Canadians have pretty much the opposite view of gun ownership that America does, so that analogy doesnt really work.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

drneville

nancyliedersdeaddog

drneville

Criminals ???

If I shoot someone or go shoot up a school I'm a Criminal, if my neighbor who might be a good guy shots me he's a criminal. I see you like the what if game so think about all the innocent people America could save if we turned into a police state, the police didn't need warrants to search personal property or to listen in on phone calls, we stopped the sell of Alcohol, and we would arrest people for having dangerous weapons like knives/bats out in public without a good reason. I do have a question would you be for banning the sale of Alcohol to the general public due to the thousands of innocent people killed each year by drunk drivers and domestic violence? Don't forget the number of people each year killed by some who has been drinking outnumbers people killed by assault weapons. My last question is do you believe 9/11 was an inside job or there could be a possibility it was carried out by the government or they let it happen?

Edit: Here are some stats about crime in Belgium compared to the US- www.eupedia.com...
and www.nationmaster.com...

Hi,
I do see your point here, to many guns in the states.
Now if they ban them, lots of guns going to "dissapear", and criminals would not turn them in....
So they let you keep your guns so they are traceable.

As for the murders over here, mostly east european gangs that off each other, common people not so much.
And yes, we have also nutcases "Kim De Gelder" went in to a daycare center and started stabbing people, 3 dead and 12 injured, what had be the outcome if he had a gun.

As for alcohol, big problem over here, that's our culture... Beer you can get simply out of a vending machine here.
Also drunk driving, over here they don't arrest you. If you get stopped while drunk you can call somebody to pick you up and the next day you pick your car up where you left it.
A few months later you go to court and pay a fine.

If I watch something on America, your under arrest for just about anything, scary tought.
Just don't happen here, if you do get to go to jail for repeated light offences, you get an invitation and need to go there yourself.
But sentences like up to a half year jail time, they just get suspended because of the few jails over here.

Peace

edit on 15-2-2014 by drneville because: (no reason given)

If your country doesn't arrest people for drinking and driving then that's crazy because it's a serious crime but you didn't answer my question about banning alcohol due to the thousands of innocent people killed/hurt each year by someone who's been drinking. One of the big reasons we still have guns (besides the Constitution) is because of the large number of crimes stopped by every day people with guns. The reason I brought up 9/11 was because if you even think there is a small chance the government was behind it or let it happen then that would be another great reason to keep the population armed.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join